ForumsSupport ForumBan newbies the right of posting threads

27 4178
ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

I have noticed that newbies make up about 25% of the threads here, and almost all of them were repeated. And just about all of them got locked too. Do you think they should strip newcomers the right of making their own threads? Not forever, but for the first few days(or the first). Or maybe only allow them to start posting after they have read guidelines.

• 27 Replies
howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

No that would be highly unlikely if this would be took into consideration because maybe newbies might not know the topics have been made before giving them a ban for not doing something really that they should be banned for would make this site have a chance of losing the best gaming site of the year award, if you keep making cruel suggestions it won't get it so I say a big no to this idea.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

It gives them a lesson when their threads are locked, but sometimes they just need a clear answer on something.
I think the porblem might be us, as we keep on replying on a thread, even though the question has aready been answered.
Also the "This is a cublicate thread"-people should provide a link to the thread, as many do not have the knowledge to search for themselves.

damiendevil666
damiendevil666
72 posts
Nomad

i agree with you completely mrtim

destroyerkevin
destroyerkevin
506 posts
Nomad

mrtim your right

mooop888
mooop888
58 posts
Nomad

yeah mrtim

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Well, if we ban them the right post they obviously will never come back while they can't post. The only way they do learn is posting all those duplicates and spam and what not.

This is a ridiculous and idiotic idea.

russianfreak
russianfreak
1,843 posts
Farmer

i think that newbies should just read the rules and then write a tread like make like the rule thread half a page so that they would have to click it or something like that

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

This pretty much invalidates the existence of the Newcomers Forum. Restricting an entire group based on the actions of a small minority is not the way to go. The sample is skewed. Yes, newbies create repeated topics. Those topics get locked. But

1. the people who post here have been here for some time already, i.e. not new to the site but still unfamiliar with it.
2. not every single newbie who posts posts in this thread, not even a majority.

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

Okay, people, this was a question, I was asking for your opinion. Yes, when I wrote the thread, I thought that it was cruel and mean to strip new people the write of posting. But it was only temporarily, say for a day or two.

Maybe it should be handled differently. Before you can use the community, you must read the guidelines and agree that you will try to keep to them. This will increase the chance of less spamming and keep repeated topics a bit down.

Another idea: On the new thread page, above the name of what you wish to call your topic, there should be a box asking if you are sure that that the topic hasn't been repeated. It will question people and make them uneasy, forcing them mentally to check the community.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Maybe it should be handled differently. Before you can use the community, you must read the guidelines and agree that you will try to keep to them.
We are all obliged to be familiar with the guidelines. It's part of signing up...

The idea of that asking box is good, though. Might not help a lot, but if it helps just a little~
frogger
frogger
116 posts
Nomad

nah, they should have the same rights as everyone else.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I see just as many anti-spam threads as spam threads. Take away the anti-spam threads and just let the spam threads be (let a mod lock it or let it die) then I promise that the forums will become altogether a more enjoyable place for everyone.

theone
theone
394 posts
Nomad

I don't think that is the right thing to do and it is not very nice. I mean think if you were new to the site would you want to get banned from posting something. No no one would so why should we do that.

Kipdon
Kipdon
2,169 posts
Peasant

ok, ArmorGames should make a subject lock system, if a topic has been made, then another person who makes that topic gets banned from making new threads for the day, it is a minor punishment, if AG had thread and post sensors, we could easily teach newbies which topics have been made. also, if there could be something else on AG, instead of automatically banning them for the day, a moderator gives them a warning that includes a small list of topics that were already made, if someone repeats the offence two or more times, the "crime" becomes repetetive, and will result in a ban for a short time period, annd to make sure no one cheats the time limit, the ban time remaining can be set by a mod or admin and should be locked with a password, the password is given to no one except mods or admins, if the offender IS a mod or admin, then the mod or admin shall not be told, this way, it will help people learn their lesson, provide more safety, and in the ban time, a mod would be able to delete the copied thread.

make peace, not war!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18211881@N03/2154483187/

dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

Why would we take away a right from someone just because their new. Plus, all the spam on this site is not all created be newbies.

Showing 1-15 of 27