ForumsProgramming ForumFlash Tutorial Videos - Any interest?

26 6867
IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

I have been wanting to create a series of FREE videos to help people learning Flash and Action Script.

I already have set up how to do it in my mind. Here are a few of the things that will be included:
* Users can try a piece of code, and be able to change around some variables to see how the final result changes. (Without having to copy and paste the code into Flash)
* The video will alternate between viewing code, a talking character, previews of how SWF files will result, and various animations to demonstrate points.
* The user will also be able to download anything they need, either individually, like each individual jpg or as file, or the entire project.

Since there are so many videos and tutorials already out there for beginners, I'm wanting to create videos also aimed at Intermediate and Advanced programmers, however, the beginners will not be forgotten.

Things I will be needing are:
* A voice for the main character(s) - This will probably be my voice to save time and hassle.
* Sound effects - This I believe I already have all I need.
* Artist - My artwork is terrible, no question about it. I need someone who will be able to draw the main character, any images needed in the project, and any other animations I may need. I am able to take images, and photoshop individual items around to create an animation, so the animator would not have the daunting task of drawing each and every needed frame.
* Sponsors - Would any company be willing to sponsor something like this? That way, everyone who contributes can get paid

If anyone knows where to get ahold of any of these things, please contact me.

Would there be much interest out there for something like this?

• 26 Replies
Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

I think that is a great idea, it will help people a great deal with flash. I am very interested.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

ooo realy good idea, but I wouldnt be able to help you seen as how I dont know anything realy on flash and such.

Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

not a bad idea ( i am learning action script the basics out of a book)

BehemothBoy
BehemothBoy
33 posts
Nomad

WOW, absolutely brilliant idea, I find that the hardest part of learning ActionScript is finding tutorials and help. The actual script is relatively easy compared to finding tutorials lol . I would love to help in anyway possible, although I doubt I'll be able to do much.

I've seen other projects such as this on the internet and they have been messy, not user friendly and explain the code terribly. Just hope this is something many people will find useful, including myself .

Sorry for the block of text.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Good, so it seems like there are enough people out there who would want something like this to make it worthwhile.

Most importantly, I need ideas. What do you want to learn how to do? Preferably stuff that isn't so readily available.

I could start with something small, like creating context menus in Flash.

What things would you guys like to know the most? What things are perhaps not always explained very well?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

* Artist - My artwork is terrible, no question about it. I need someone who will be able to draw the main character, any images needed in the project, and any other animations I may need. I am able to take images, and photoshop individual items around to create an animation, so the animator would not have the daunting task of drawing each and every needed frame.
*waves* Glad you sought me out via my profile. :3

And since I would love to learn some stuff about Flash myself (I will need it eventually...) I definitely support this project. I just don't really have any suggestions, because I don't know what sort of tutorials are already out there.
IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

I have a few ideas for the first tutorial. I'm wanting the first one to be easy and basic. Anyone have any other ideas?

* Physics - Basic Gravity
* Getter Setter Methods

BehemothBoy
BehemothBoy
33 posts
Nomad

Arrays?
Ways to enhance code, make it better and more effective?

I dunno, anything that you know how to do that you think beginners can do then anything intermediate and then expert. If your going to make this then put everything in it, you might as well make it perfect.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Ways to enhance code, make it better and more effective?

Ooh. I really like this one.

Speaking of which, I just got your code. I'll take a look at it and send you back some time tomorrow.
BehemothBoy
BehemothBoy
33 posts
Nomad

OK, thanks mate.

Ryga8
Ryga8
17 posts
Nomad

me me me i want 2 see i have ideas flying like crazy

BehemothBoy
BehemothBoy
33 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post but any changes you make to my code can you write an explanation, thanks.

Midmenj
Midmenj
216 posts
Nomad

sounds like a good idea. i would benefit this a lot seeing as i have no idea about coding.

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

Ooh...awesome idea!!!
I completely support it

I also agree with you starting with physics...it is an important topic that I haven't found many good tutorials on...

Btw, do you have a software such as Camtasia to record the tutorials?
Is this going to be hosted on a website?...Either your own (if you have one) or an already present tutorial website?

Good Luck

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Btw, do you have a software such as Camtasia to record the tutorials?

No, no, no. I am tired of blurry YouTube videos where you can't even see what each button or menu says, and takes longer to load than it does to play the video.

I am going to make a "virtual", interactive, version of Flash CS4 (or CS3). It will look like Flash, but only the buttons or menus that are necessary at the moment will be able to be used by the user.

As for code, the user will be able to only modify parts of the code that are allowed for that lesson.

So even if the user does not have a copy of Flash at the time, they will still be able to learn.

There will also be short animations and drawings to help visualize what the code is doing.

Is this going to be hosted on a website?...Either your own (if you have one) or an already present tutorial website?

I am going to host it, either with one of my Linux servers (with my new ISP, I finally have a routable IP!

Or, if I can find a sponsor, perhaps they would like it on their site, or I can find some good paid hosting somewhere.

It is going to be a bit unusual, but that just helps you remember it more. (Imagine Bill Nye the Science Guy and BrainPop.) I will have some beta testers first to make sure that I don't go to far and just make it silly beyond all hope. ;-)
Showing 1-15 of 26