ForumsWEPRPoor people and Rich people.

143 23516
random_player_of_ag
random_player_of_ag
2,636 posts
Nomad

I have seen in tv many shows ( news ) about poor people and rich people.
And i think to myself:"How come rich people get more rich and poor people get more poor?".
It is a situation a little bit strange.
I think that it should not be rich and poor people.
Everyone should be fine (relative to money).
People say that money does not bring health and other things.
It is true but it helps.
Tell me what you think about this.

• 143 Replies
Riou1231
Riou1231
4,825 posts
Peasant

The rich may be rich and the poor may be poor but there's things that the rich don't have at all the poor stay together in all hard situations while the rich don't have any love for each other they only care about their money and not about family

crazjayz
crazjayz
243 posts
Nomad

Whoa, seriously?

Originally posted by Riou1231

the rich don't have any love for each other they only care about their money and not about family

You can't be serious. So you're saying that all rich people are selfish and materialistic? A bit bitter are we?

Originally posted by rafael_marc22
That's why they became richer and greedier. And the poor they want justice.

You too rafael, you have to be kidding me. Poor people want justice. JUSTICE? Justice for what? You guys make it seem that people who are well off are well off because they were ***holes, and not because they worked hard or they actually earned it.

Grow up. Not everyone who is well off is a d*ck. Nor did they inherit their money. Some people just work harder than others and strive to meet their goals in life.
kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

Grow up. Not everyone who is well off is a d*ck. Nor did they inherit their money. Some people just work harder than others and strive to meet their goals in life.

It's not about working harder. The man who works 12 hour days in a Pennsylvania coal mine with a high school diploma works harder then a lawyer with a college degree. Maybe the lawyer was smarter or was able to get a scholarship. Maybe the coal miner came from a background where you had very simple goals or didn't go to college. It's all about circumstances.

In poor parts of the world your goal might be eating that day. It's certainly not just working harder then someone else. We all have our advantages and disadvantages. You might be smarter then Joe and so you go to college and Joe works in the factory. You're certainly not working harder then him and your goals aren't any better, you're just playing up your advantage.

I'm certainly a bit bitter that I may make 12K last year but so and so made 50 million because he can swing a bat. He's not working harder then me, he's just playing up his advantage. You can work very hard all your life and remain very poor. Most of the world does.
Muddle
Muddle
104 posts
Nomad

It's not about working harder. The man who works 12 hour days in a Pennsylvania coal mine with a high school diploma works harder then a lawyer with a college degree. Maybe the lawyer was smarter or was able to get a scholarship. Maybe the coal miner came from a background where you had very simple goals or didn't go to college. It's all about circumstances.

True. But genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Therfore, it is the workers own fault he is in his situation, and the college student would actually of put in his all and strived to get where he is.
crazjayz
crazjayz
243 posts
Nomad

Originally posted by Kris1027

I agree with Muddle on this one. Sure, circumstances make a difference, but given how even the academic playing field has become these days, it's hardly an answer. More people today are going to college than ever before, and many of these people are the first in their family to go. I don't understand your "background with simple goals". Why wouldn't everyone have the goal to go to college in this day and age? Sure not everyone may want to become a doctor/lawyer/businessman, but college should not be optional if you're planing to be better off in your life.

By the way, you can't say that a miner works harder than a lawyer. You actually can't say that one job is harder than the other, especially when one is physically intensive and the other isn't. That "so and so" who made 50 million last year swinging a bat has been working at that for years. Comparing sports, especially at the professional level, is just stupid. The amount of work and effort to get there is insane. And even after you get there, being good is a totally different story.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

The "Who ever is reach earned it" crap again? No one deserves to take away from others.

No but if you EARN it you deserve more. America is more of the managing country to the world now, we need to be smarter and to work harder but people screw off in high school and it screws them for life. You have to be smart to get money in todays world, those who are born less fortunate, well I'm sorry but you CAN't be rich with out killing yourslef.
kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

Why wouldn't everyone have the goal to go to college in this day and age?

Well, once again I mention parts of the world where your goal might be to eat that day. You are thinking with a western mentality. In the really poor parts of the world, college, is the aspiration of the wealthy. Granted it's hard to see weird situations you know nothing about or even heard about. We even have weird areas in the US that just beyond belief and look third world countries. There are peoples who no nothing beyond turning 18 and working at the town factory. Some places never even get to see the playing field.

Therfore, it is the workers own fault he is in his situation, and the college student would actually of put in his all and strived to get where he is.

So you are saying that it's you're own fault if you're poor? No extenuating circumstances, no if and or buts, poor and middle class blue collar workers are deserving of their poverty for not trying hard enough? No matter the situation?

[/quote]Comparing sports, especially at the professional level, is just stupid. The amount of work and effort to get there is insane.

Your goal is to be a firefighter. You make 30K a year and work far harder then some dude kicking a ball around plus you save lives. But that dude is making 30 million. I don't see why why me comparing that is stupid.

By the way, you can't say that a miner works harder than a lawyer. You actually can't say that one job is harder than the other, especially when one is physically intensive and the other isn't[quote]

I've never been either. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a coal miner. When I say working harder I mean literally working harder. Actual labor versus white collar jobs.
jonnypants23
jonnypants23
1,353 posts
Farmer

Did you hear about the rich guys getting tricked so then they turned poor and commtied suicide?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

No but if you EARN it you deserve more.

No one earns to take from others. There is a limited amount of wealth, when you take more for yourself, others have less.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

My social studies teacher recently asked me, as a brain teaser, because I am one of the more thoughtful and vocal students in his class: "Does hard work equal money?"

Now, this depends on the context. As kris mentioned, hard work can be measured in actual physical labor, ie the coal miner working 12 hours a day. However, crazyjayz mentioned that the lawyer worked to where he is. As far as I can tell, and as well as many studies have shown, the more education a person receives, the more his or her pay is. It's a pretty even trade-off.

However, there are also those who do not have the education as some of their other money-making counterparts. A successful entrepreneur may only receive a Bachelor's degree in business, but may learn to work the system to his or her advantage, and thus make a profit and a living. However, these cases are exceptions, and arguing exceptions does not often prove fruitful for the discussion.

In addition to this, I would like to add that it is not often hard work, but responsibility that gains people a fatter paycheck at the end of every few weeks. A CEO of a major company has a luxury office, a secretary, and signs forms all day, yet he or she can make up to 100 times more than what the coalminer does, while working less hours. As unfair as this may seem, (as it frequently is unjust; a majority of CEO's receive highly inflated pay) that single person is in charge of deciding the future of a company that has thousands and thousands of employees.

But, don't the businesses receive the materials and necessary labor for the lower-level employees? Surely the executives of the companies are important, but where would they be without the workers who put in hundreds of hours each year just to make ends meet?

In a capitalist society like America, such gaps between economic groups will always be present. The rich, sadly, will get richer, and the poor poorer. The point of the capitalism, of course, is for the businesses to grow. But, at what cost? The well-being of the laborers due to cut wages in order to increase profit? Cut jobs because of underlying tax incentives from the government? The cycle's brutal, but it won't change anytime soon.

kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

Zootsuit_riot brings up interesting points. Most points I agree with. Most people get to where they are by working hard. I just really wanted to stress that people can be poor and still work very very hard. Not everybody in the world has the opportunity to excel to wealthy. Or else, obviously, everyone would be rich. Poor does not equal stupid, lazy, or ignorant. That was really my only point.

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Poor does not equal stupid, lazy, or ignorant. That was really my only point.

Exactly. My girlfriend's family is pretty poor, but damn if her dad doesn't work hard. He's a contractor, and he's doing everything he can to try to get business. He's even working 6 hours away 3 days of the week just to make money. It doesn't help that her mom has MS, either.
crazjayz
crazjayz
243 posts
Nomad

Originally posted by kris1027

Well, once again I mention parts of the world where your goal might be to eat that day. You are thinking with a western mentality. In the really poor parts of the world, college, is the aspiration of the wealthy. Granted it's hard to see weird situations you know nothing about or even heard about.

First of all, I thought that this thread was referring to the United States. Secondly, how dare you accuse me that I know nothing of or even heard about people who don't see college as an aspiration because it's "too far off" or "impossible". You have no idea what my family background is, or where I stand intellectually on the subject. For your information, I do know quite well first hand how it is to think like that.

Secondly, I'm not saying that it's your own fault if your poor, but if you nothing to further your situation, yeah it is. Sure, sometimes it's damn near impossible working 2 jobs and trying to go to school. Chances are you're not doing well in your classes and your job performance is going down the drain becauses you don't sleep enough. But you just have to know that living through that hell is going to benefit you in the end.

As for your firefighter situation, yeah it's stupid to compare. You want to know why? That dude kicking a ball has worked his @ss off to get to the professional level. How many people can do his job? A handful. How many people can become firefighters? Almost everyone. That's where income comes into plan, as does Zootsuit_riot's point on responsibility. Since not everyone can kick a soccerball at the professional level, soccer players get paid more. They are rare. Conversely, since anyone can become a firefighter the job market is larger, and thus more common. Consequently, pro soccer players are paid more than firefighters. Sure they may be saving lives, but the training involved is minimal compared to any professional athlete. If you think it's so simple and not stupid to compare, why even become a firefighter and just try to become a professional soccer player.

Lastly, working harder (which you define as blue collar jobs) I repeat cannot be compare to white collar jobs. Under asumption that white collar jobs require at least a bachlors degree, you can argue that it requires more intellectual effort. This then reverts back to my previous statement. Anyone can become a coal miner (regardles if you want to be or not). Not everyone can become a laywer. That's in my opinion the reason people are paid how they are paid. The gap of the rich and poor comes down to how these two groups exploit the system.

Finally, the last point we all agree on. Poor does not equal stupid, lazy, or ignorant.
random_player_of_ag
random_player_of_ag
2,636 posts
Nomad

I thought that this thread was referring to the United States

Well it can be also for the USA but when I made this thread I was thinking of people around the world.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Since not everyone can kick a soccerball at the professional level, soccer players get paid more. They are rare. Conversely, since anyone can become a firefighter the job market is larger, and thus more common. Consequently, pro soccer players are paid more than firefighters. Sure they may be saving lives, but the training involved is minimal compared to any professional athlete. If you think it's so simple and not stupid to compare, why even become a firefighter and just try to become a professional soccer player.

The issue here in my opinion isn't how important a job is, but how elite you are in your field in relation to the demand for your job and the skills required. Eg 2 billion people watch and play football(soccer for u americans) worldwide. Being in the top 0.001% of these people it is no wonder they get well paid considering the demand for the product( Avg earnings in the prem is probably £70k a week). To use a different example from firemen, the army. Privates in Britain get paid £20k a year. A tiny sum in comparison to the footballers, and yet much harder work. Yet the top 0.001% of people in the army will no doubt get promoted and get paid higher, so i think generally if you are the best in your field in any occupation you will get paid more in relation to your job, it's just that some jobs have more demand than others.
Showing 121-135 of 143