ForumsGameswhy is my save game always erased and why is the feature of saving things on your account off?

46 18285
keith1
keith1
5 posts
Nomad

can somebody tell me?

• 46 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Illustration,

Welcome to the ArmorGames forums. You're reviving an old thread, something which is frowned upon here; that's no capital offense, but just so you know

Since at a glance I'm not so sure if it was ever adequately answered on this thread, let me try again:

Flash savegames get stored in so-called flash cookies, more technically known as Local Shared Objects, or LSO's. They're different from http cookies proper, but get handled by your machine more-or-less the same.

It follows that you need to allow for these cookies to be set for the sites in question, in your browser, as well as in your Flash Player. Besides your browser settings, go over your Player's settings, on your machine, as well as in its online manager, at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html . Set it to allow third-party content to be stored on your machine.

Next, if you set your browser and/or your machine so as to automatically clean up cookies upon closing, it will erase these savegames. You'll need to set it so as to keep the flash cookies for the sites in question. Their location on several systems gets described here.

The same goes for if you use some program to regularly or occasionally clean up your system, whether automated or by hand; again, you'll want to make it so that it leaves these cookies alone.

I personally use a browser plug-in called Better Privacy to allow me greater control of these Flash cookies, but I think it's Firefox-only; that Wikipedia article suggest some similar software for other platforms, here.

Let me add that between various such programs and settings, I do still tend to regularly lose my savegames; tweaking them all just right isn't easy I guess, and anwyays such is the price we pay for greater control: It always means more stuff to come to grips with and to fiddle around with, doesn't it I guess if it's all way over your head, just allow all cookies & don't pay it too much thought, and no great grief should come to you.

Finally, there appears to be discussion earlier on in this thread about moving (copying, migrating) your Flash savegames; to my best knowledge, that's impossible. People seem to be regulary under the misconception that they store your full games, anyway, however while I don't know the ins & outs of it, I reckon they store just enough data to know where you're at in a game. And they do seem to be bound to that location, under that set-up.

Hope that explains some, cheers.

Showing 46-46 of 46