ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105253
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
ShylaGirl92
ShylaGirl92
670 posts
Nomad

I keep the money, even though stealing is very wrong, I would want to feed the children and pay the bills ... but I think I would feel really bad about it though

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Maybe I'd take just what I needed to buy enough food and water for the children to survive, then return the wallet. The lady doesn't need that money, and the children do. Simple choice.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

it seems more ethical

It does, however until you factor in that the money was not originally yours. Good thoughts though

I agree. The money is worth much more when it's saving lives, especially the lives of children.

what if they were disabled adults (i.e. mentally retarded, veterans with amputated limbs ect.? would it change your thought?)
Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

what if they were disabled adults (i.e. mentally retarded, veterans with amputated limbs ect.? would it change your thought?)

Since there's a good chance that they're getting some sort of disability compensation, I would think that they don't need the money as much. Also, I'm not going to say it's their fault they're in that situation, but they have a better ability to change it. Children can't really do much to change their situation.
JJ52
JJ52
1,150 posts
Nomad

Im surprised Im the first to say this, but Id return the wallet. I would then ask if she could donate some money to me and my family. i feel that since I did the right thing that God would help me and my family.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Also, I'm not going to say it's their fault they're in that situation, but they have a better ability to change it. Children can't really do much to change their situation.

some mentally deficient adults are basically like 5 year olds, they have to be taken care of by an around the clock caretaker. Would it be any different?

Im surprised Im the first to say this, but Id return the wallet. I would then ask if she could donate some money to me and my family. i feel that since I did the right thing that God would help me and my family.

That is an interesting thought. religion would happen to affect your decision. If you did not believe in God, would you have done the same?

anyway new question tomorrow.
Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

some mentally deficient adults are basically like 5 year olds, they have to be taken care of by an around the clock caretaker. Would it be any different?

I suppose not, but I'd just have a bit harder time accepting that for some reason.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Good work people. anyway new question.

A man has been sentenced to prison for armed robbery, and admits guilt for the deed. "But", he argues,"I'll never do anything of the kind again. I'm not insane or a danger to society. I would be happier out of jail than in. My wife depends on me for support and she and the children would be far happier if I were able to be the family breadwinner again. As to the influence on others, almost no one would ever know about it; you can keep the matter out of the newspapers and no one except you will ever know that the crime was committed. Therefore, you should release me"

what would you do?

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

I think that we need more information about him. Such as whether or not he or his family have had a past history of mental illness, or if he's committed crimes before.

I don't think I would let him out anyway though. He committed armed robbery for a reason, and his word that he won't do it again isn't enough for me.

JJ52
JJ52
1,150 posts
Nomad

I would check his family to see if what he said was true or not. If the do need him to provide money for food I would have him become a worker for the prison cafeteria and send the money he earns to his family.

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Hmm well armed robbery is not that very serious an assault, I mean if he was a murderer I'm not even considering but armed robbery....maybe...
But what about his victims? It'd be about his safety just as much as about ethics! I mean, his victims would likely want revenge if he was released, yeah?
I would definitely release it to the paper. People have a right to know they're dealing with a (former?) robber
But in my experience, people lie. People lie a lot, and for things a lot less significant than getting themselves out of jail. I won't just take his word for it, not a chance.
So...
I say no. I don't care if he's the "family breadwinner" he's going to do his time. I don't trust his word. And even if he really is the breadwinner, maybe he should've thought about that before robbing. And his family will just have to survive without him. I mean, what substantial reason did he have to rob? None. He said he earned his pay fairly, right? So why would he rob? No reason. Just for greed. And therefore, he deserves to be in prison. Besides, his family would forgive him, but I don't think that an armed robber as a father would be the best influence on a kid, you know? I say we keep him in jail. No compromises.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I agree with moab. You can't really trust his word of whether he is a family breadwinner or not. He has to serve the consequences of his action. Then again, he may have robbed the bank to feed his family. But still he should have tried to work for it like millions of other people.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

If all he did was armed robbery, I would probably let him go; after all, if his family needs him, that implies that he did it for his family, and not a selfish reason. If he now realizes that doing something like that again will put his family in more peril because they won't be able to depend on anyone, I don't think he'd do it again.
But if he did other crimes, more severe and/or random, I might reconsider.

GamesArmor
GamesArmor
890 posts
Nomad

You can't really trust his word of whether he is a family breadwinner or not.

Just ask him who his wife is. Ask the wife who married them. Then ask him.
Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

Just ask him who his wife is. Ask the wife who married them. Then ask him.

Why would that person know? I might have read incorrectly, but it seems like you're wanting to ask the person who performed the marriage.
Showing 226-240 of 340