ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105324
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Whether his family depends on him or not, he needs to do his time. Maybe he should have thought about them before stealing. And if he was the breadwinner, that meant he had a solid job. That meant he didn't need to steal. Plus, it's for his own and his family's safety. If he isn't punished, his victims will seek revenge, possibly taking it out on his family.

BenTheBozer
BenTheBozer
815 posts
Nomad

I had a debate about this with my I.T teacher i don't understand how you can make up ethics.

Thyll
Thyll
476 posts
Nomad

If he isn't punished, his victims will seek revenge, possibly taking it out on his family.

For armed robbery? I doubt it. I haven't heard of many people taking revenge for anything, let alone robbery. I'm not exactly a news person though, so maybe I just haven't heard.

Isn't there some sort of program that lets some of the more stable prisoners out to work jobs and then back in when they're done? I'm I've heard of that. Anyway, I think that would be a good idea.
ligaboy
ligaboy
1,052 posts
Peasant

Did he murder anybody while committing the armed robbery? How long is the sentence?

I may change my answer after those are answered, but at the moment I would say he should stay in jail. He committed a crimes. His conditions don't matter, he should have thought of that before.

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

For armed robbery? I doubt it. I haven't heard of many people taking revenge for anything, let alone robbery. I'm not exactly a news person though, so maybe I just haven't heard.

You never know who it was he robbed, could have been some insane person who is going to make it their life goal to kill him.
soldier7
soldier7
148 posts
Nomad

i would definatly sacrifice my self for no matter who he is
we both have the same world same enviroment and equal lives so as a muslim i would sacrifice no matter who he was even if he was an alien (lol) but god created us all with equal lives no one is better than anyone else so even if you did die for anyone at least you know you saved a life you made a difference and thats what really matters

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Dude soldier I think you are at the wrong question.

soldier7
soldier7
148 posts
Nomad

no actually the question is would you sacrifice your life for your friend and my answer i'd save anyone cuz your making a difference

MrLordLDB
MrLordLDB
9 posts
Nomad

Run outa de closet screaming like Yoda on crack doing flips and rolls and make sure they allllllll tried shooting me. =)

Bro's before... "death?"

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

no actually the question is would you sacrifice your life for your friend and my answer i'd save anyone cuz your making a difference

No dude. The question is would you let an armed robber out of jail because he said he was the family breadwinner? Check the updates frequently or it will make you look stupid.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

these questions update sometimes....
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I'd ask his wife how much he did for the family, as for finding work there are times when a person can't find a job and not all countries offer welfare like America.

TRUdog
TRUdog
1,032 posts
Nomad

Well... the man did a horrible thing. But this man does have a good point though, a wife and kids do need there dad. And you don't want to be the kid at school who is only known as "The kid whose dad went to prison"
Here is my decision: I would put him under house arrest for 8 months
That way he can see his kids and his wife, but he still can't really do anything bad.

ligaboy
ligaboy
1,052 posts
Peasant

Here is my decision: I would put him under house arrest for 8 months
That way he can see his kids and his wife, but he still can't really do anything bad.

But then he can't go to work. The only reason for letting him out of jail was because he provided for the family. If he was under house arrest, it would just be another mouth that need be fed. He would help his family out more if he stayed in jail instead of being under house arrest.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

recently due to popular demand, i am reviving the thread to go back to what it once was, a self imposed question of ethics to test the very fibre of your being.

"A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track by a mad scientist. However, you can flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch?"

The trolly problem has seen many better days, and it is one of the most discussed ethical dilemmas in society today, how do you respond AG?

<dilemma taken from the interwebs>

thanks DDX.

Showing 241-255 of 340