ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105173
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

np um... The problem is you can't save all of them. which is why it becomes more of a dilemma than a "trick question"

DDX, it wasn't my intention to turn this 'ethical' dilemma into a trick question. Thank you for letting me expand on my first decision:

If the one person is close enough to me so I can clearly recognize him as a serial killer and I'm alone then my choice is easy. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the five. I wouldn't feel haunted in the least.

If, on the other hand, these are all adults and total strangers then I will pull the lever and switch the tracks to kill the one.

Then, I run like the wind to get help or pull out my cell phone and call for help.
I was not the one to tie these people to the tracks, therefore I'm not condemning them to die. I am doing the best I can and going for the numbers.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

So you're going to turn a blind eye, and instead of one or five, let six people die?

If you do nothing, only five die. The sixth person is on a track that isn't in danger. Unless I am greatly mistaken, that is.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

If you do nothing, only five die. The sixth person is on a track that isn't in danger. Unless I am greatly mistaken, that is.

Sorry, my mistake wasn't really paying attention when I typed that :S
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

but see, most of you who try to save both groups of the people on the tracks know that the problem doesnt let you physically do that, because it defeats the purpose of posing a question of ethics. DO you want to play god? because you could just be apathetic to the cause, There was an article about how 45 witnesses saw a man stab a woman a couple of times, she screamed and the man ran away, the woman then crawled around to the back to get help. and the man came and finished the job 20 minutes later. That kind of apathy exists in the society today because many of cant be bothered. in all reality. the question posed is the question, there are no tricks and turns. but thanks for the responses....

new question later today, after I do some thinking on one. (so you guys cant turn it into some kind of brain teaser)

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Assuming everyone is completely normal in this scenario, it would logically be better to save the five, rather than the one. The five would always do more good to society, assuming they are not traumatized, and get over the experience.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

New question:
You are an emergency worker that has just been called to the scene of an accident. When you arrive you see that the car belongs to your wife. Fearing the worst you rush over to see she is trapped in her car with another man.

She sees you and although barely conscious, she manages to mouth the words âIâm sorryââ¦

You donât understand, but her look answers you question. The man next to her is her lover with whom sheâs been having an affair.

You reel back in shock, devastated by what her eyes have just told you. As you step back, the wreck in front of you comes into focus. You see your wife is seriously hurt and she needs attention straight away. Even if she gets attention thereâs a very high chance sheâll die.

You look at the seat next to her and see her lover. Heâs bleeding heavily from a wound to the neck and you need to stem the flow of blood immediately. It will only take about 5 minutes to stop, but it will mean your wife will definitely die.

If you tend to your wife however, the man will bleed to death despite the fact it could have been avoided.

Who would you choose to work on?

IT'S NOT A TRICK QUESTION/BRAIN TEASER, YOU CANT SAVE BOTH, YOU NOOBS.
=================================

a friend forwarded this question to me, it was quite interesting, so here is what im going to do.

No, you can't save both, and this time you also cannot be apathetic due to the fact you have an obligation as a social service worker.

poast and toast my friends.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

This is not a realistic question, as why would there be only you? In a true scenario there would be several medics as well as several police officers. Ill just ad "Non realistic" to my list... Plus, you would be able to save both if your cleaver enough or if the situation allows it...

The probable ethical thing to do would be to grantee the safety of the man. Considering you have to be bleeding rather heavily to die, especially from one wound, then he must be gushing blood several feet. By the way, how did he get a neck wound in a car crash? Anyway, since you seem to be alone it would be pointless to try and save your wife, since you don't have backup and you don't seem to have tools. Call it an early divorce.

But of course logically in a true scenario not only would you always to to save both people, but you would have more people who would be trained in the field of medicine, plus the ambulance full of medical tools. You would be able to save the man and have a chance of saving your wife. This should go into the game forum, as it has no bearing I can see on the WEPR....

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

he must be gushing blood several feet.

He would already be dead oh logical one.

how did he get a neck wound in a car crash?

Window shattered, windshield shattered, roof buckled etc. it's not hard to do...

n a true scenario there would be several medics as well as several police officers.

off duty simply happened to be closest to the scene
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Ack! Sorry about the double post, accidentally hit submit.

I would save the person who has the best chance at living a normal life, her boyfriend has a neck wound and is unresponsive, so he may be paralyzed, go into a coma, or even brain dead. The wife was at least conscious, not to mention she is my wife. Aren't the vows

"for better or for worse,
for richer or for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish"

Sure she didn't live by them, that doesn't mean I shouldn't either.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

He would already be dead oh logical one.

It was a hyperbole. He merely stated "bleeding heavily", so you would have to assume the worst that is not instant death.

Window shattered, windshield shattered, roof buckled etc. it's not hard to do...

It is without bleeding anywhere else. Since there is no other car, it is probably a crash into an inanimate object, thus front of the car would hit something making it unlikely for the roof to buckle in and the glass would hit in more arias then the neck.

off duty simply happened to be closest to the scene

If your off duty then you would have not have gotten called in, you would be in an ambulance. It would be illogical to go to the scene of the accident by yourself in a civilian vehicle.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This is not a realistic question, as why would there be only you? In a true scenario there would be several medics as well as several police officers. Ill just ad "Non realistic" to my list... Plus, you would be able to save both if your cleaver enough or if the situation allows it...

well durr, first of all there would be 2 police officers 2 firetrucks and 2 ambulances. with that concluding to 4 EMTs. just because it addresses only you doesnt mean that there aren't other around.

I've been apart of the fire department I know how things work. I however am using a question that a friend found online, which is why I posted "not from me"

This should go into the game forum, as it has no bearing I can see on the WEPR....

well why dont you petition to have it moved then. Don't need to tell me about it, as Im not a mod.

I talked with one of the mods before, and they agreed that it should go into the world events/ other section. so seriously if you arent going to post productively then don't post at all.

buckle in and the glass would hit in more arias then the neck.

you mean areas.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

New question:
You are an emergency worker that has just been called to the scene of an accident. When you arrive you see that the car belongs to your wife. Fearing the worst you rush over to see she is trapped in her car with another man.

She sees you and although barely conscious, she manages to mouth the words �I�m sorry��

You don�t understand, but her look answers you question. The man next to her is her lover with whom she�s been having an affair.

You reel back in shock, devastated by what her eyes have just told you. As you step back, the wreck in front of you comes into focus. You see your wife is seriously hurt and she needs attention straight away. Even if she gets attention there�s a very high chance she�ll die.

Of course, I would have to switch sexes and say this is my husband with his lover,(male or female,wouldn't matter). As a professional, I would have to switch off all emotion until after my shift is finished.

You look at the seat next to her and see her lover. He�s bleeding heavily from a wound to the neck and you need to stem the flow of blood immediately. It will only take about 5 minutes to stop, but it will mean your wife will definitely die.

Having said this the first thing I have to do is assess what I can do now. I would try to free and treat the "lover" first as it's been determined the "spouse" is trapped.

If you tend to your wife however, the man will bleed to death despite the fact it could have been avoided.

Who would you choose to work on?

This is purely a professional decision that comes from my training, not an emotional decision that may cause both to die, needlessly.
The lover will be worked on first since he will live if I stem the flow of blood.

Your theory fails already because this isn't a trick question. This is a perfectly realistic scenario as I could have been the supervisor thus I would be the first on scene. Regardless, these decisions are made every day in the real world and besides, this isn't a brain-teaser question, remember?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

well durr, first of all there would be 2 police officers 2 firetrucks and 2 ambulances. with that concluding to 4 EMTs. just because it addresses only you doesnt mean that there aren't other around.

Then it is not a life or death choice, as your wife and her lover would be taken care of by the others no matter what you do.

well why dont you petition to have it moved then. Don't need to tell me about it, as Im not a mod.

I talked with one of the mods before, and they agreed that it should go into the world events/ other section. so seriously if you arent going to post productively then don't post at all.

Because it gives me something to complain about.

you mean areas.

Probably do, my spelling is so off my spell check changes it to something else.

Your theory fails already because this isn't a trick question. This is a perfectly realistic scenario as I could have been the supervisor thus I would be the first on scene. Regardless, these decisions are made every day in the real world and besides, this isn't a brain-teaser question, remember?

So what if it is not a trick question? There are a thousand factors that effect what would happen. If it was a perfectly real scenario, then there would be someone else with you. It also does not explain the terrain, the distance from a city, your current equipment, the weather, etc that would help decide your choices.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

look, just cause you learn something in your 8th grade class about logical reasoning doesnt mean you have to be a complete d*ck about it, the point of this thread is to make an ethical decision based off of your moral standards, and if you arent going to do that, instead sit in front of a computer screen and PMS 24/7 then you are more or less spamming.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Isn't it more like trolling by this point? I think you need to include a disclaimer *If you're going to be a smartass don't post.* lol

Showing 271-285 of 340