ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105147
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

look, just cause you learn something in your 8th grade class about logical reasoning doesnt mean you have to be a complete d*ck about it, the point of this thread is to make an ethical decision based off of your moral standards, and if you arent going to do that, instead sit in front of a computer screen and PMS 24/7 then you are more or less spamming.

I have already pointed out the flaw in using this as a moral detector, as the moral point is usually obvious, such as in the OP the obvious moral thing to do would be save your friend. And every post of mine has said things that are constructive as well as the constructive/destructive criticism. You, however, have had nothing worthwhile in that last post, it was pure flame and pure crap.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

And every post of mine has said things that are constructive as well as the constructive/destructive criticism

yea, but Im not looking for constructive/destructive criticism. Im telling you to go away, if you arent going to provide an answer dealing with the scenario provided. IF you are going to fish for flaming which is obviously what you are doing, then leave.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I am an emergency worker, so I have to save first the person that has the most chances of surviving. This means that I would save the lover, then I would try to save my wife.
My decision of trying to save her later will be not affected from the fact that she was cheating on me.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs133.snc4/36976_132363216793790_100000603386944_273316_2892065_n.jpg
back by popular demand.

One well-known and frequently discussed example of an ethical dilemma is given by Jean-Paul Sartre. Sartre asks us to imagine a young man who lives with his mother; he is her only happiness in life. But the young man lives in occupied France during World War II and feels obliged to fight in the war.

knowing that going to war might send your mother's stress level above normal and could kill her because she has hypertension (high blood pressure) and high blood pressure coupled with stress many times induces a stroke.

aight go for it

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

i think he should stay home with his mother.it both answers whether to go or not and family or country.most of the time family goes over all in the mind

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I hate to say it, but to me family is more important than country, I understand that fighting in the war is best for the family in the long run, but if my mother dies before the war even ends what's the point?

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Would it be possible to aid in the resistance covertly, keeping my mother in the dark about it? If so, by all means I would do it.

If not, then I would personally choose to fight and hope my mother would understand that I believe it is for the greater good of all, though it be bad for the both of us.

BlackIce131
BlackIce131
260 posts
Nomad

Asian. Oh it said "ethics" not "ethnic"...
My bad atleast you all know my preferences now ;D

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

My bad atleast you all know my preferences now ;D

i dont get it
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

i dont get it

The guy is being a pervert... Took me a little while to figure that out because my mind apparently hasn't been dragged around in such swill as his.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I would go and fight. While staying at home with mother may prolong her life for a bit, the probability of the occupying forces coming near my home are likely, and the odds of such an event causing the heart attack or stroke that would kill mother are just as high as if I were to leave to fight, in fact I would venture a guess that it would be more probable.

Therefore I see going to fight as the best choice. Even if you do not take into account that the likelyhood of my joining the war effort putting me in a position to assist others.

BlackIce131
BlackIce131
260 posts
Nomad

If these people came into my house, and were goin gto take me and my friend, why would i hid ein the closet. The first action should be like get a weapon and call police or something. I would rather die fighting then mercilessly be dragged out of my house

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

@ Walker and BlackIce

Try to keep up with the topic guys, our current ethics question should be in the last two pages.

The guy is being a pervert... Took me a little while to figure that out because my mind apparently hasn't been dragged around in such swill as his.

That's a little harsh isn't it? Admitted he was spamming and being an idiot, but it was just a joke. Not to mention that's not exactly perverse just more of a statement, one I could've done without but there's nothing wrong with it.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

@ Walker and BlackIce

Try to keep up with the topic guys, our current ethics question should be in the last two pages.

orly?

One well-known and frequently discussed example of an ethical dilemma is given by Jean-Paul Sartre. Sartre asks us to imagine a young man who lives with his mother; he is her only happiness in life. But the young man lives in occupied France during World War II and feels obliged to fight in the war.

knowing that going to war might send your mother's stress level above normal and could kill her because she has hypertension (high blood pressure) and high blood pressure coupled with stress many times induces a stroke.

aight go for it

That's the topic I was following, and it can be found at the top of Pg. 31. Where were you?
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

orly?

I was about to say, mr walker was actually responding to the right question.

If these people came into my house, and were goin gto take me and my friend, why would i hid ein the closet. The first action should be like get a weapon and call police or something. I would rather die fighting then mercilessly be dragged out of my house

no.

no, hes not being a pervert, he is just being dumb he obviously knew what the topic meant (I mean he even commented on it and said the right topic)
he just made the obvious decision to troll.

and what do we do to trolls? ignore them. which is why I didnt respond to it in the beginning.

rule of thumb is don't feed the trolls.

anyway to the rest of you people who responded and didnt spam/flame/troll thanks very much.

new question goes up tomorrow
Showing 286-300 of 340