ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 104737
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

fail troll is fail.

you're a troll too, now get out.
BlackIce131
BlackIce131
260 posts
Nomad

These people arguing about a troll, do they think what i said was trolling?Garsh, if i want to have somefun next time i guess ill put my fun and my serious answer together.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

These people arguing about a troll, do they think what i said was trolling?

While you were definitely waaay out of context with your comment, the discussion regarding the troll is not about you, but about 314d1.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

These people arguing about a troll, do they think what i said was trolling?Garsh, if i want to have somefun next time i guess ill put my fun and my serious answer together.

that would have been better. instead of putting them as 2 separate posts. I mean humor can be included in your post, but it still has to follow forum guidelines.

which is why I was a little angry, no well more disappointed really. because I figured you knew what to say for real, but chose not to just to f*ck with everyone.

anyway questions update weekly-biweekly.

constructive criticism NOT TOLERATED
why? because Im not looking for god ***n criticism. if I did then I would ask for it or post this in the AMW section.

314d1, I know you're reading this because Im talking about you
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

orly?

Ah crap, I was going to say something about your post, and then I got sidetracked by BlackIce's post, and you both got included into the same thing, sorry about that.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

recently read an article on monsanto's patenting of crops. basically they can sue the crap out of you if you can't pay for the yearly renewing license.

let me demonstrate.

a truck driving monsanto seeds that have been genetically enhanced to withstand pesticides. now these seeds blow off into YOUR fields and grow some of the best damn crops. now monsanto comes along and sues you and you lose, and you have to burn all your seed crops

(what monsanto does in a day takes farmers years to make their own crops that either grow better or yields more crops. basically monsanto is ordering you to kill you children)

Now do you think this is ethical? to patent seeds/crops? I mean I hate plagiarism/theft but I also think this crosses the line a little bit.

but many farmers usually cannot afford to pay the steep intellectual property taxes that monsanto imposes on them

is this ethically correct to impose a patent on biologically living things? (cars and guns and chairs I understand but plants? sure it makes monsanto filthy rich and all of it's shareholders (me) but at what cost is this money "clean&quot

Cebbal
Cebbal
18 posts
Peasant

That's a very interesting concept. i like this question. idk anything about this news but, there's plenty of factors that would take part in my personal decision, i don't think i could make a decision one way or the other with what's there.

for me, if i were the farmer, it'd depend on questions such as:

"exactly how much of the land did this occupy?"

"Who was aware and when?"

"did the seeds kill what had already been sown, or is the land fallow?"

"could it be taken to a higher court?"

"did the farmer invest anything for that crop to yield?"

Basically, i wouldn't argue their patent rights on the plant, afterall, it really is intellectual property manifested into a physical investment. I mean, genetics and breeding too is work afterall.

But if i were the farmer...I would argue my liability, and try to settle outside of court...but if not, take to the court the chance to sell my monsanto yield back to them at the very least or even counter-sue depending on the full answers of above questions.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I believe they should be patented, but the fees should be paid by, various companies hoping to sell the product, instead of the farmer. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you guys? But the way I see it, that eliminates the need for farmers to pay a price they don't have, and at the same time, increases the availability of the product.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Now do you think this is ethical? to patent seeds/crops? I mean I hate plagiarism/theft but I also think this crosses the line a little bit.

I do not think that a patent is ethical at all. I understand the amount of work that goes into creating new crops, my grandfather did just that for a seed company back in Illinois when he was alive, but a patent and licensing fee for the use of the crop is ridiculous. This drives up costs, puts smaller operations out of business, and is passed on to the consumers from market. Economically this is a very unsound practice, especially in an era when small family farms are going out of business regularly.

I would recommend that as the seeds must be sold that the person that created the seed be granted a small royalty from either the sales of the seed. In this way the person is compensated for his efforts although not in such a manner that it would preclude smaller corporate or even familial farms from being able to afford to grow an effective, viable crop and make a profit worth their efforts.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I misspoke. The patent I am fine with, it is the outrageous fees being charged for the usage of the patented product that I find unethical. Apologies for my oversight.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

for me, if i were the farmer, it'd depend on questions such as:

"exactly how much of the land did this occupy?"

"Who was aware and when?"

"did the seeds kill what had already been sown, or is the land fallow?"

"could it be taken to a higher court?"

"did the farmer invest anything for that crop to yield?"

well see monsanto does these random sweeps, they take seeds (unknowing to their owners) and scan em for their little DNA strands, if they have the special monsanto patented strands then they order all the crops be burned and all the seeds be burned because it could have cross bred.

I mean for a farmer you crops are ALL of your investments

the seeds themselves do not "kill" any of the other plants more like they just interbreed with the plants.
Monsanto themselves do not care about plants, more just that selective strand of DNA that is in the plants (which makes them resistant to the "roundup" pesticides)
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

At that point that's some serious bullshit; as far as I'm concerned they have no right to do that.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

At that point that's some serious bull****; as far as I'm concerned they have no right to do that.

exactly man, that's what I feel like is UNethical, because the farmer had no prior knowledge that monsanto sneakily tests their crops. it's pretty insidious.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

So you're destroying a persons lively hood, on the ODDS that one of your products has been compromised. I say they should be forced to test every crop individually. On top of that every farmer who's crops have been destroyed needs to be payed a reparation.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I say they should be forced to test every crop individually. On top of that every farmer who's crops have been destroyed needs to be payed a reparation.

well they take a sample (an 1 acre or something sample and test everything) and if at least 1 plant has been compromised the entire generation is compromised is who they do it
Showing 316-330 of 340