ForumsArt, Music, and WritingShort Story Contest: Fear (Page 35)

359 94433
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,989 posts
Grand Duke

The green light has been given! After weeks of preparation, the Contest can be launched!

This has been brewing in many users' mind for awhile. Enter the Official Writing Contest!

General Rules

1)Submissions for the context must specify the word count implemented.
2)It must adhere to the period's theme as the main idea, or at least have some connection.
3)It must be submitted by the deadline. (The deadline will be according to AG time so that people will not be confused by the timeframe/exploit difference in time zones.)
4)A winner cannot win twice in a row, though he or she can submit an entry the next week.
5)Winners get a merit.

What not to include

1)No excessive inappropriate language, such as vulgarities, swearing. This includes slandering anyone in the AG community.
2)No slandering of race, religion, culture, language of people.
3)No sexual references or innuendoes, though romantic scenes such as kissing can be included.

Actions that lead to disqualification

1)No plagiarism. If it has been discovered that the story has been copied, e.g. the plot has been copied, the user will be disqualified with immediate action. However, elements of inspiration can be allowed.
2)Only one submission is allowed for each user. So please do not create multiple accounts for multiple entries. If it has been discovered that a user has submitted many entries due to this method, he or she will be disqualified.
3)If someone's username is used as a character's name or mentioned in the story, ask for permission first. Failure to do so may lead to disqualification.

Judge: Me, though I will appoint someone else if I want to take part.

Current Theme: Fire. Fiery start eh?

Deadline: 31st May (Two weeks)

Without further ado, let it begin!

*Note: Everything is subjected to change!

• 359 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Italizeded words are Lyrics to '8th of November' By Big and Rich
---
Based off of the Music Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfElHIt7n0s
---
Untitled

Said Goodbye to his moma
As he left south dakota
To fight for the Red, White and Blue
He was 19 and green with a new M16
Just doin what he had to do

He was dropped in the jungle
Where the choppers would Rumble
With the smell of Napalm in the air
Then the sergeant said, Look up ahead

Bullets whizzed through the air as the Leader of B company sheltered behind a fallen log with his radio operator. He had been tasked with reliving C company, who was charged with taking Hill 65, and it was clear that a large amount of VietCong were resisting him.

Screams sliced through the air like a knife through butter, but they had no effect on the stoic commander. The 'whup, whup, whup' of Hewies could be heard somewhere, but none were seen. His radio man roared out...

"Hill 65, Combat Zone D..." The Radio Man continued calling out the cordinates to the Fire Base.

PLAF Commanders, Hill 65

The Distant Boom of artillery could be heard, and the PLAF Regiment Commander stood, watching the fighting taking place all around him. HE had little time to react, and he would be annilated by the barrage. Sighing, he gave the new orders.

"...Tell the men to move up"

He did not mean advance, or take positions further ahead. No, this was a mass movement forward, A Charge? No, but it should have been. He was to kill two birds with one stone, he would attempt to outflank the Americans by moving up on their flanks. It would also allow his men to move away from the Artillery Courdinates, and make the barrage ineffective...

Like a dark, evil cloud
1,200 came down
on him and 29 more.
They fought for their lives
But most of them died
In the 173rd Airborne.

Fierce, hand-to-hand fighting broke out. Medic Lawerence Joel moved up to get the slumped figre by an MG. HE crawled over, as puffs of dirt kicked up around him.

The wounded soilder had been hit in the thigh, and was bleeding profusly. Arterial Damage. He looked up just as Joel neared him, and his voice was barley heard by Joel over the din of the battle.

"... Dont let me die Lawrence... Dont let 'em get me..."

His eyes darted around quiclky, and his head tilted back.

On the 8th of November,
The angels were crying
As they carried his brothers away.
With the fire raining down
And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.
Saw the eagle fly,
Through a clear, blue sky
1965, the 8th of November

The Machine Gunner lost concioness, and was one of the few evacuated as the PLAF troops disengaged. He was lifted out, and made it back State-Side.

"On November 8th 1965, the 173rd Airborne Brigade on "Operation Hump", war zone "D" in Vietnam, were ambushed by over 1200 VC. 48 American soldiers lost their lives that day. Severely wounded and risking his own life, Lawrence Joel, a medic, was the first living black man since the Spanish-American War to receive the United States Medal of Honor for saving so many lives in the midst of battle that day..."

Fin
---
My Great-Uncle was one of the Hewie Pilots who helped air-lift those more seriously wounded out.
---
Yea, its bad, and I had to rush to do it, 'cause I assume the deadline is near, if not over?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I assume the deadline is near, if not over?

The entries are closed. Read the previous page.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

Wow Floyd, yours is epic. I thought I had a chance until you showed up...

I live to ruin the lives of others.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Oh, how I've known that for so long...

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The entries are closed. Read the previous page

*sigh*

Dad gum...
Hydraulic
Hydraulic
223 posts
Nomad

C'mon Alt! You said judging would be up today! Not to sound impatient...Anyway, if you're eligible Maverick, I think you should win. If not, I did enjoy sense's thingy-majigger.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I'll let Mav's entry count

Dun worry, I be on for many hours! I get judging done.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

I am standing idly by.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Dun worry, I be on for many hours! I get judging done.

It's not yesterday anymore. Where are the results?!? :O
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

The results are not known, because I have a fever of 103 right now.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

want me to judge for you?

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Hope you're feeling better!

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Nah Floyd, it's okay.

Lol, I won't be feeling better enough for judging for 4 or 5 days at this rate.

But thanks for the concern.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

Lol, I won't be feeling better enough for judging for 4 or 5 days at this rate.

just judge without thinking if youre feeling that bad.
Crab65
Crab65
327 posts
Nomad

I never noticed this contest. Maybe I should enter next round?

Showing 271-285 of 359