ForumsArt, Music, and WritingShort Story Contest: Fear (Page 35)

359 92219
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

The green light has been given! After weeks of preparation, the Contest can be launched!

This has been brewing in many users' mind for awhile. Enter the Official Writing Contest!

General Rules

1)Submissions for the context must specify the word count implemented.
2)It must adhere to the period's theme as the main idea, or at least have some connection.
3)It must be submitted by the deadline. (The deadline will be according to AG time so that people will not be confused by the timeframe/exploit difference in time zones.)
4)A winner cannot win twice in a row, though he or she can submit an entry the next week.
5)Winners get a merit.

What not to include

1)No excessive inappropriate language, such as vulgarities, swearing. This includes slandering anyone in the AG community.
2)No slandering of race, religion, culture, language of people.
3)No sexual references or innuendoes, though romantic scenes such as kissing can be included.

Actions that lead to disqualification

1)No plagiarism. If it has been discovered that the story has been copied, e.g. the plot has been copied, the user will be disqualified with immediate action. However, elements of inspiration can be allowed.
2)Only one submission is allowed for each user. So please do not create multiple accounts for multiple entries. If it has been discovered that a user has submitted many entries due to this method, he or she will be disqualified.
3)If someone's username is used as a character's name or mentioned in the story, ask for permission first. Failure to do so may lead to disqualification.

Judge: Me, though I will appoint someone else if I want to take part.

Current Theme: Fire. Fiery start eh?

Deadline: 31st May (Two weeks)

Without further ado, let it begin!

*Note: Everything is subjected to change!

• 359 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Guys, hurry up and finish your entries soon...the judging will begin in four more days. AG time. Any late submissions will not be tolerated, and will be banished to the eternal Void.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

<bump> because this is an interesting contest which should not be shunned to the 2nd page!

(I hope Nicho feels better for judging..)
~3 days guys~

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Don't worry, my mind is still functioning enough at a normal level to do the judging. After all, I can't really throw my creation into the violent storm of threads, spam and posts.

-------------------
On a side note, just a little reminder. The judging is on Friday so hurry up guys if you want to enter!

Jrmagic
Jrmagic
301 posts
Nomad

Embers

"You called me, Master Tougi?" "Yes. Sit down." I took a seat at a black leather couch and started twitching spontaneously. Why does the master want me? I hope I didn't fail the earlier assessment test on breathing underwater... "You have been an excellent student young Farrow. You have the mentality to take on any challenge, and face it straight on with courage. But I'm afraid you have been discharged."
DISCHARGED! Jackal must've sent in a report about the missing knob for room 212 and blamed me! When I get my hands on him...
I gulped and silently nodded my head. "You will be sent to the Society of Embers until we have more information about this discharge and what to do."
This is it. My life... is over... Instead of moaning and begging to stay at what has become my home, I bowed shakily, trying to recover my bearings. Then I turned slowly, and marched into the main entrance of Universal Academy of Water Artists. It was busy as usual with everyone rushing cursorily to his or her classes or to their headquarters to work on an assignment. I dolorously shook my head and wished I could just die, without anyone ever knowing I lived.
Just as I was about to think of suicide, Rabin and Ruck walked eagerly toward me. Rabin and Ruck were twins who didn't go anywhere without each other. Both had black eyes, a tight smile, and real strong muscles. Once I ate Rabin's guamlo when he was in the bathroom, then when he found out, I couldn't sit for 10 days.
Ruck patted my on the back with vigor. "Wazzup sissy?" Rabin followed suit and punched me playfully in the stomach. "Yeah, sup homie, you get dissed by master?" I doubled over by the impact of the punch, and vomited my whole breakfast onto the shiny floor that was being polished a few feet ahead. The last thing I remembered was fainting...

I woke up a few hours later with a beautiful girl rubbing my stomach. I was still half-asleep and disoriented so I sat in a somewhat up position and kissed the girl on the lips. She smiled heartily, then slapped me on the face so hard I felt a burning sensation on my face... it felt so hot... a lot like fire...
I yelped so loud the girl jumped off the furniture I was on and screamed. My face was on fire! Trying to think logically, I emitted a cold stream of water from my hands onto my face. It clashed with the fire and extinguished the flames.
I looked at the girl dumbly and was about to ask her what the hell was going on when someone appeared out of thin air and said, "Dear Farrow, it's time for class! You're late! Oh, and why is your face black?"

A few weeks later, I was lying down on a bed in my room and was thinking about all that happened after I left the Water Artist University. It turned out this place was the Society of Embers. I took a lot of classes in my spare time and I came to enjoy fire-bending a lot more than water-bending. It was so fascinating; I often went to class on weekends for lengthy periods of time.
I figured I was wrong about wanting to die. I knew now that being dead wouldn't solve anything. I even figured dying would be really horribleâ¦
I heard a faint rustle at the foot of my bed, so I looked up and saw a man with a sword about to plunge it into my heart. I was so shocked; the only thing I could think of when I died was the irony.

THE END

kevindude6
kevindude6
48 posts
Nomad

figured might as well. 796 words

What have we done?
Why have we done these things to our world, to our selves? The bombs, the missles, the pain and suffering. Thatâs all that our world is in these days. Towns everywhere being engulfed in a fiery blue aurora. Why have we let such a small conflict arise to the apocalypse? Doom weapons everywhere. A world in flame is not a world, but a hell. But with hell, there is a heaven. Where is the heaven in this world? Where is the middle, the life? These questions I ask myself everyday, but everyday I cannot answer them. Until today. I had a thought, just a theory. I wanted to find the heaven before I died, and I think I did. The heaven is in our hearts,our minds, our human spirit. If we think, we know what went wrong. We know that we can still have good times in times of such pain and fear. We can spend time with our families. We might even have a plan to fix our mistakes, but no plan will work unless everyone thinks. Getting everyone to think the same is nearly impossible though. Thatâs all I can provide you. I write this now, because I know that my town will be next, and I will be engulfed in one of these fiery blue explosions, but I know someone, some savior, but most of all, someone with an amazing spirit. One that can outlast all the pain and suffering. Why have we done this?

âI cant believe another town was destroyedâ
âI know⦠and the fact they make us go through the wreckage looking for survivorsâ
âI hate this job. I cant stand all the sufferingâ
âI know, I hate it to. Hey! I think I see someone! Come on!â And as we came across that man, we both were stunned. He was hurt, but he was writing in a journal. Then he said
âHere⦠take thisâ Joseph and I were stunned. We took the journal, and then we saw his body just go limp. We knew he was gone. We started to read the last entry in the journal, and realized that this was the key.
âCome on!â Joseph yelled. We ran to a clearing, I got out my radio, and we called for an evac. We both knew this was how we could reverse this. When the helicopter arrived, the pilot read the journal, and realized how urgent this was. We went straight to the white house to see the president. He didnât have much power, the government had fallen apart, but it was our best chance. When we got there, it was easy to get in. I was a captain and Joseph was a sergeant. We saw the president, we both stood up and I gave him the journal. After he had read it, he looked off, and then looked back at us. He said
âYou men, you are the ones with spirit. You are some of the best men I know, so im going to bring you into a conference with the other nations. We both got ready, and then the next day, we were there. After the leaders got everything they wanted to say, we spoke. We spoke about the wars, the hate, the pain, the suffering we saw. The people that died before our eyes. The misery caused by the war. We could tell the world leaders got the point because they had seen this in their own countries. When we were done, everyone looked around. Then the presidents spoke up and said
âI will not launch another missle at another countryâ Then after a few awkward seconds, China agreed they would do the same. Then Russia, and Germany, and Japan agreed. Eventually, every nation agreed. There was not another missle launched. Everything was going back to normal. The world was fixed, all thanks to three men.

This is Robert. My friend, Joseph, and I found this journal. We want to thank this man. This man saved the world. The nations are recovering and there is peace once again. This is a pact from all the world leaders that we will not let anything escalate like that again. What have we done? We destroyed ourselves, each other, and our world. But, the human species has an amazing trait of always bouncing back. We fixed ourselves. We made the world a good place once again. Why we did these things, we do not know. All we know is that while the human species has good traits, we also have bad traits. Rage can make us do horrible things. We get an overwhelming force of evil and sometimes we cant stop it. We need others to help us. No more fire in this world.

kevindude6
kevindude6
48 posts
Nomad

sorry, i dont know why the weird symbols are their, but they are supposed to be qoutes. every time you see a?? think of it as a qoute

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

sorry, i dont know why the weird symbols are their, but they are supposed to be qoutes. every time you see a?? think of it as a qoute

Hmm yes I see. Understandable, when you just join the site. I'm willing to bet, that you wrote it on Word? Word symbols sometimes cannot be read on AG. Just copy and paste the entire text into Notepad and change all the punctuations and symbols. No harm done there.

----------------------------
Fantastic anc creative tales guys! Keep it up, the more the merrier!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

To add another layer of icing to the already very top-heavy cake...winning entries every week will be added to this blog, letting the world witness your awesomeness!

Let future contestants bask happily and freely in the light of glory and honour...

*Igor, was that dramatic enough?*

Evilpumpkinman
Evilpumpkinman
485 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry but I thought this was a short storie not like 750 words,geez.

Once upon a time I lit a fire and I burned my mummy and my daddy and thats how they died!!!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I'm sorry but I thought this was a short storie not like 750 words,geez.
Once upon a time I lit a fire and I burned my mummy and my daddy and thats how they died!!!

That will definitely not be qualified, let alone into consideration for the Top 3.

If you still have the burning desire to take part, judging is tomorrow. You still have a sliver of time left!
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Whoaaa that blog looks mighty special ^^

Right... rather disturbing...

And how short do you want these stories to be?!
I don't think even 750 words is long enough for a short story
kevindude6
kevindude6
48 posts
Nomad

dang im just gonna replace the qoutes and stuff

What have we done?
Why have we done these things to our world, to our selves? The bombs, the missles, the pain and suffering. That's all that our world is in these days. Towns everywhere being engulfed in a fiery blue aurora. Why have we let such a small conflict arise to the apocalypse? Doom weapons everywhere. A world in flame is not a world, but a hell. But with hell, there is a heaven. Where is the heaven in this world? Where is the middle, the life? These questions I ask myself everyday, but everyday I cannot answer them. Until today. I had a thought, just a theory. I wanted to find the heaven before I died, and I think I did. The heaven is in our hearts,our minds, our human spirit. If we think, we know what went wrong. We know that we can still have good times in times of such pain and fear. We can spend time with our families. We might even have a plan to fix our mistakes, but no plan will work unless everyone thinks. Getting everyone to think the same is nearly impossible though. That's all I can provide you. I write this now, because I know that my town will be next, and I will be engulfed in one of these fiery blue explosions, but I know someone, some savior, but most of all, someone with an amazing spirit. One that can outlast all the pain and suffering. Why have we done this?

"I cant believe another town was destroyed"
"I know" and the fact they make us go through the wreckage looking for survivors"
"I hate this job. I cant stand all the suffering"
"I know, I hate it to. Hey! I think I see someone! Come on!" And as we came across that man, we both were stunned. He was hurt, but he was writing in a journal. Then he said
"Here, take this" Joseph and I were stunned. We took the journal, and then we saw his body just go limp. We knew he was gone. We started to read the last entry in the journal, and realized that this was the key.
"Come on!" Joseph yelled. We ran to a clearing, I got out my radio, and we called for an evac. We both knew this was how we could reverse this. When the helicopter arrived, the pilot read the journal, and realized how urgent this was. We went straight to the white house to see the president. He didn't have much power, the government had fallen apart, but it was our best chance. When we got there, it was easy to get in. I was a captain and Joseph was a sergeant. We saw the president, we both stood up and I gave him the journal. After he had read it, he looked off, and then looked back at us. He said
"You men, you are the ones with spirit. You are some of the best men I know, so im going to bring you into a conference with the other nations." We both got ready, and then the next day, we were there. After the leaders got everything they wanted to say, we spoke. We spoke about the wars, the hate, the pain, the suffering we saw. The people that died before our eyes. The misery caused by the war. We could tell the world leaders got the point because they had seen this in their own countries. When we were done, everyone looked around. Then the presidents spoke up and said
"I will not launch another missle at another country" Then after a few awkward seconds, China agreed they would do the same. Then Russia, and Germany, and Japan agreed. Eventually, every nation agreed. There was not another missle launched. Everything was going back to normal. The world was fixed, all thanks to three men.

This is Robert. My friend, Joseph, and I found this journal. We want to thank this man. This man saved the world. The nations are recovering and there is peace once again. This is a pact from all the world leaders that we will not let anything escalate like that again. What have we done? We destroyed ourselves, each other, and our world. But, the human species has an amazing trait of always bouncing back. We fixed ourselves. We made the world a good place once again. Why we did these things, we do not know. All we know is that while the human species has good traits, we also have bad traits. Rage can make us do horrible things. We get an overwhelming force of evil and sometimes we cant stop it. We need others to help us. No more fire in this world.

k that should be fixed
sorry for so many posts

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

So, we get a merit eh? I just might have to enter this contest.

*leaves to make coffee*
*starts writing epic novel*

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Okay Kevin...no more re-entries after that!

---------

Yes Saw, you do get a merit if you win. Courtesy of Strop Coporation, who helped sponsor the Contest.

-----------
Something must have addled my brains and thrown them out the window...The judging is on Sunday.

Not today. Gosh...must be the moon...it calls to me....grrrr....

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Final Reminder: Tomorrow will be the Day of Reckoning! So start writing fast for those who want to enter but have not started on concrete solid work yet.

Showing 61-75 of 359