ForumsWEPRDoes it really matter....

68 12890
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Does it really matter...if there really is a god?

Would you all decide to do horrible things and change your life drastically if there was solid proof that there was no god?

Would you all decide to become perfect people and change your life drastically if there was solid proof that there was a god?

My point is this: Should the existence of a god matter when it comes to how you live day-to-day? Would that much really change?
If there was a god, do you think that it would want you to change who you are just to please it?
And if there is no god would you really feel the need to throw caution to the wind and do as you please, knowing that there were no repercussions after you die?

Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, know what is right and wrong regardless of a higher power potentially watching over us?
Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, do what we know is right just because we can tell the difference?
Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, be beyond the point of caring about being watched and judged by an unseen being...and live out shorts lives as best as we can?

Does it really matter...if there was not really a god?

• 68 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Well yes, let's see if I can write something off the top of my head, make it clear and readable at the same!

...this is going to be long...

First, I do agree with your broad interpretation of "society" and "social interactions". The nuances when discussing animals in generals and human society is important; I'll come back to this later.

To answer your question directly, I guess that with the notion of 'society' comes 'morality', thus morality would technically precede homo sapiens. This isn't all that big a deal for the following reasons:

* When I think of society and morality, I do indeed think 'executive function and processing with relation between self and others'. As in this is a necessary (and sufficient) part of both, hence society necessarily entails morality. They kinda form at the same time and end up being mutually interdependent.

* These taxonomical labels and chronologies aren't exactly the most concrete thing in the world; they're defined by sufficient divergence in characteristics (this relates to the whole 'human' thing, but it's essentially more of a side note), and since evolution and adaptation is a continual process, there's obviously going to be an element of incompatability.

* I would reject that animals "do not possess any executive functioning, unlike humans". To claim this would be to say that animals are biological machines- from my previous post I find it difficult to say that and then reject the same claim for humans, and since I find it more useful to reject incompatiblist determinism for humans...you see where this is going?

* Hence I'd rather consider animals agents in their own right- it is then a matter of coming to understand the manner in which they go about their ways, not to mention interspecies interactions (including, or especially with humans). Obviously they are different from humans- on that note, it seems to me that what is uniquely human, I could loosely describe as metaphysical querying, supported by the degree of the formation of our language.

So from all the above, I get this: we can claim that the animals whose behaviors we can recognise share the same fundamental structure have a form of 'society' and 'morality'. Exactly how this manifests with them would be unique to them, just as the way we discuss society and morality as humans is unique to us. In this case, because of our empahsis on cognisation, the scope of morality has acheived a level of abstraction that we observe in cultural theatres.

But I would still say it stemmed from our 'organic capabilities', in a sense- again, it's difficult to avoid slipping between the interpretations of "we are different to other animals".

So...yeah, seeing as much of the evidence I've alluded to as support for the arguments I present are retrospective, the connection was probably made before we arrived on the scene, but it was only represented, articulated and debated after we arrived on the scene.

I have a few examples up my sleeve if need be, but this post is probably too long as it is.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

I think you wrote for the both of us, because I am in agreement. And yeah, that "complete lack of executive functioning" comment was not well elaborated; I should have said that non-human executive functioning is less complex, lacks certain functions that separate us from them.

P.S. the Nat Geo from March '08 has a great article on Animal cognition, so if you haven't read it, I recommend it.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up. Will hunt it down.

In this regard...and sorry for derailing the thread y'all! In this regard, what I'm concerned with is propagating the understanding that what we've been doing until recently is directly comparing animal behaviors to our own without being aware of the context of human behaviors. For example the huge deal that people make of intelligence.

Anyway...we were originally talking about bases for moral codes or something, wasn't it?

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Oh, um, yeah I guess we were.

And yeah, that is a notable point, it does seem like our comparison of behaviors has not been dealt with in a consistent or contextually relevant manner. But if anything, our understanding of behavior is probably outdated when you see what new developments have arisen.

Itachi2641747
Itachi2641747
264 posts
Nomad

A higher power matters very much, and I believe their is one.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

there are no other gods besides for God
all of you athiests got to hell. oh wait thats were your going to go anyway. hahaha you deserve it. your fault not ours.
I love God

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

And you, My friend, may just have trouble getting into heaven. >.>

To be honest, in all religions with Hell and Heaven, there are some main things. Along with God being able to choose where they go, according to their deeds.

Deeds in them show that if you are following one of these religions with heaven or hell, you should be tolerable to all veiws on life no matter what they speak about God or Aethism, showing them the door to hell is not allowed.

Think I summed it up, buddy. As Christian or whatever you are, don't let it show with hate.

Anyway, Behavior in life is how a Country runs with Morals, religion, parenting. A problem right now is Parenting, alot of people I know don't get as much time with their parents as I know in other places or myself. According to it, A good lot of them are Aeithists or something or another.

I say, a veiw on life is okay, I still believe there should be a God -- If there wasn't one, we'd be rather savage. Not to mention, just to kill this ongoing counter.

When we are "rational" beings we do whats best for ourselfs in an educated manner. To be honest, if I had a good array of spy stuff and who knows what, it'd be rational for me to go steal all the cash I want without being caught.

On one side, its rational and benefits me. Look at the other side, its considered "Wrong". So being rational beings won't help. Also, just to put a spiritual side up to it, If theres no one else.. You've got God to look up to.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

If there wasn't one, we'd be rather savage.

Hm, really? I think between Garifu and I over the last page, we managed to put up a pretty strong case that this isn't necessarily true.

I'm no economist, but I find from what I've written, morality comes in handy in the following way: let's appreciate that whatever actions one does, it is by definition for their own motivation. What morality does is tells us whether we should feel good about something, or not good about something such that it becomes a factor in how much sense of reward we derive from performing an action or abstaining from it.

This works towards a balance of maximising benefit for self. However, this doesn't necessarily mean one should be self-centered (ethical egotism) as opposed to altruisticic, seeing as one can argue that doing things for benefiting others entails benefiting oneself either directly (from the feeling of moral right), or from encouraging others to support oneself.

IMO this is the fundamental mechanism behind determining what is "wrong"- in your example, Armed, it'd benefit you but comes at the expense of others, and will lead them to judge that way because it is an action that we wish to discourage as a whole, both as a result of cultural development and because we are living beings.

Showing 61-68 of 68