ForumsProgramming ForumHow to make a Flash game for free legally

43 15523
neodeltai
neodeltai
3 posts
Nomad

I've seen a few hundred posts asking how to make a game, and no responses showing how to do it for free, so I'll help out anyone who seriously wants to program a game in Actionscript, and not spend $699 on Flash CS3.

1) Download the Flex 3 SDK from Adobe's website. This includes the mxmlc.exe compiler to create SWF files. Cost: $0.00

2) Download the latest version of FlashDevelop. It'll really help with writing actionscript, organizing files, and using mxmlc.exe, the SWF compiler included in the Flex 3 SDK. Cost: $0.00

3) Read up on programming in Actionscript 3.0 (or 2.0 if you want). Senocular has a great intro to using mxmlc.exe and as3 here.

The downside? You have to import all your graphics, or draw things in code.

Hope this helps people get started.

• 43 Replies
MikeVarilek
MikeVarilek
36 posts
Nomad

The truth is that Flash is too expensive if you are just going to be messing around and making small animations and games. I purchased CS3 when I started making games for money, but before that I did/could not pay for flash. I started when I was 13, and I could not afford it back then. And it would not have been worth the money for what I did. 60% of Adobe product users did not pay for what they use.

MikeVarilek
MikeVarilek
36 posts
Nomad

To clarify I am not saying that I advocate piracy.

LonLonRanch
LonLonRanch
172 posts
Nomad

True, have a price tag like Flash's makes it very discouraging for first timers to get into Flash. None of us really know if we will get into flash enough to get sponsorships and I mean really, who has 900 bucks to spend at the age of 13ish I sure as heck didn't (and still don't )

What I did, and what I continue to recommend to begginers, is to start off by getting either a student version and/or older version of flash, at the time I started I went to ebay to look for a slightly older version of flash, and found Macromedia Flash MX 2004 (which was 1 version older than the lastest version at the time) -it was only like $150, I save up and bought it and it was totally worth it too. So yea, don't get discouraged guys, just try to find those workarounds so that you may to enjoy the wonderful world of Flash

UrbanKing
UrbanKing
113 posts
Nomad

I use game maker it is good and it is free

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

If you want to make free stuff use game maker. But wasting your time on a free adobe like product is no good. It's teaching people to be cheap and not do what they should be properly doing, it's dumb to advocate this.

Demonfire
Demonfire
76 posts
Nomad

i see a sew comin up
:r

shmity210
shmity210
12 posts
Nomad

it works i made a flash game but it wasnt good to get sponsered

Cyclone103
Cyclone103
9 posts
Nomad

I have CS3, and it is worth the money. The drawing tool is amazing! By the way, you can actually create a game entirely in code. You can make objects and lines using something called "API". Here is a game made entirely of code. If you want to create objects using code, here is a tool developed by the same user. It will actually show you the code necessary for creating the object you designed.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Thanks i think that i will do that

And by the way Dank, you spelled cheaper wrong.

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

thnks.i might try it when i'm home.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I don't think that works or works well >.<'

Bob_McBobBob
Bob_McBobBob
248 posts
Nomad

i like things legal

cmdgames
cmdgames
25 posts
Nomad

i got it from collage

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

It might be legal but it won't be easier since flash is basically dreamweaver and photoshop built into it so it makes creating flash easier.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Ummm.... Where is the website for Actionscript?

Showing 16-30 of 43