ForumsWEPRDisproving god

352 61512
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

So I just have a question to every one. What is the point in proving god to not exist? What makes it worth while to sit and flip out on people, the goverment, schools, kids, parents.....that they are wrong, and science is wrong?

I understand having an oppinion, and trying to get others to beilve that. But Have any of you heard of Pascals wager?

What he said was basically, if you belive in god, and he is real, you lived a good live, and if you belive in god, and he's not real, you lost nothing, but lived a life of good morals, which I will touch on in a second. However, If he is real, and you didn't beilve you go to hell. And if you didn't beilve and he isn't real, then you lost nothing, other then being remembered as a person who didn't care about morals.

I would like you to go read the ten commandments, and the other moral wrongs in the bible. How are ANY of them bad?

All I'm really trying to gather here, is what is the point in tryign to prove god as fake? Why does it matter if you beilve in god? And what do you lose by beilveing in him?

• 352 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

i believe in god and nothing anyone says will change that.

So your just closed minded then?

If a person opposes even the possibility of there being a God, then any evidence can be rationalized or explained away.

Isn't this rather hypocritical of you after stating you will not accept the opposite possibility?
This also seems to me to be a loaded statement, since if we can legitimately rationalize and explain away your evidence than you can just turn around and claim we are just denying the possibility.

"You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you."

Yeah, did that and well I'm an atheist now so... So much for it being
that easy.

2 Before you look at the facts surrounding God's existence, ask yourself, If God does exist, would I want to know him?

Dude who created all of existence? **** skippy I would want to know him. I got lost of questions for the guy as well.

While there is no proof for the existence of God, there is also no proof for the non existence of God. This leaves the possibility that God does exist.

You just had a wall o' text claiming that was proof, now your saying there is no proof? But I do agree there still is the possibility.

It's much simpler and much more logical than that god designed the world for us.

If God did design this world for us he did a pretty piss poor job considering that most of it is uninhabitable by humans.

An atheist has a belief that there is no higher power.

Not necessarily, most atheists just have a lack of belief, for what ever reason that may be. There are actually very few gnostic atheists running around in comparison.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

There is plenty of history and evidence that supports the belief in God. Down through history, man has worshiped God. The Bible has been preserved and passed down through time, and so has the belief that God exists. In every generation, the wisest people have concluded that there is a God. The Bible has been validated through historical and archeological records.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Down through history, man has worshiped God.

This isn't proof of any deity, it's proof of man's desire to explain the unexplained and develop social systems to appease whatever it is they think is in control.

The Bible has been preserved and passed down through time

Again, not proof of god. All this proves is that portions of society greatly value this book. You could say the same about the Vedic texts or the Qur'an.

In every generation, the wisest people have concluded that there is a God

Mind supporting that with evidence? Oh, and you might want to define 'wisest people' while you are at it. Otherwise this is just a wild assumption.

The Bible has been validated through historical and archeological records.

Portions of the bible which the people writing the books should have known about have been validated. All that proves is that the books of the bible were written by men who knew the events and surroundings of their day.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think it is just pure common sense that the complexity of the universe and this world we live on had to be the handiwork of a divine being (God). The complexity of just one tiny part of nature would defend this argument.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I think it is just pure common sense that the complexity of the universe and this world we live on had to be the handiwork of a divine being (God). The complexity of just one tiny part of nature would defend this argument.

Actually no. Just because something is complex does not mean it must be the work of God.

The lack of explanation is not evidence that there is a God.

One may argue that the universe must have come from somewhere, therefore God must have created it. However, there is no evidence God created it, merely an explanation to something that is not understood.

You argue that complexity requires a god, others argue that complexity can be natural. If you must demand an explanation for how a system can be complex, the answer "it's just naturally complex" is just as liable as "it's a design from God."
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I think it is just pure common sense that the complexity of the universe and this world we live on had to be the handiwork of a divine being (God).

Blaming something unknown on a non-understandable object is an easy explaination.
The complexity of just one tiny part of nature would defend this argument.

Don't leave us hanging!
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

....is this counting time's graham? this dictates whether or not i reconsider entering the discussion instead of going to sleep. I half expected to see a female's armatar lul. but maybe it is a female (0_o).... is poison arrow nearby?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

As people travel through life, there are times that you meet people who seem to embody a spark of the divine love of God. If there is no God, where did this come from and how has it lasted so long, unselfish love originate? It is not a normal part of the human nature.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

It is not a normal part of the human nature.

It is strange for me to see a faith rest on stereotypes.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Actually it is a normal part of human nature, and indeed in most of the more advanced social animals. It's a simple byproduct of the need for a functional society.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

We are able to observe the formation of crystals from start to finish, which can form very complex forms. Not once have we ever observed such formations requiring the hand of a deity to form.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

As people travel through life, there are times that you meet people who seem to embody a spark of the divine love of God. If there is no God, where did this come from and how has it lasted so long, unselfish love originate?

It's nat...

Oh.

Why is it impossible to love without God? Why can't it be natural? If someone has a deep love for Ra, does that make Ra real?

You are assuming that love can not be had without God.

I want you to do exactly what I tell you to do. I want you to imagine a world that is exactly the same as the one we live in now with only one difference, there is no God. I want you to picture the world where everything is the same. The people are the same. Their actions are the same. They still tell their children they love them. The only difference is that God is not there. The love is still there, just not God.

Even though you believe God created love, hopefully you can now understand that it is possible to see the world without God. I'm not saying it's right, I'm merely pointing out that it is possible to do so, without being in denial and without confusion.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I'm just asking but.....Are you a strong atheist or a weak one?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

that question was for anyone to answer^^^

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I'm just asking but.....Are you a strong atheist or a weak one?

I'm an agnostic atheist.
Showing 286-300 of 352