ForumsGamesAn Intelligent Discussion of Hackers (Cheaters) in Colony

42 8983
Descartes
Descartes
26 posts
Nomad

By request, I will copy and paste the email I sent to Krin just now discussing hackers and potential solutions when it comes to stopping them from wreaking havoc.

I will also answer questions about hackers and etc. However, I would appreciate that you do understand what you are talking about when you post. I don't want un-substantiated arguments. D:

Thanks, JT.

• 42 Replies
lalala12
lalala12
2,165 posts
Nomad

Very interesting...

I wonder though, how the encryption works...

If you can just download a tool to break the encryption, it doesn't seem that...encrypted.

Or do the tools do something like a brute force method to try to produce a result that seems...valid code?

Descartes
Descartes
26 posts
Nomad

Krin's encryption used as3crypto, which required him to create a key for the encryption. The encryption can be broken if you have the key, and since the key is embedded in the code, it's easy to retrieve. =P

IAmAce
IAmAce
196 posts
Peasant

pacmanateyou ur turning this great thread in to a spam thing so stop

Descartes
Descartes
26 posts
Nomad
Pacmanateyou
Pacmanateyou
255 posts
Nomad

JESUS hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

bloonkiller
bloonkiller
158 posts
Nomad

I thought it was called "cracking", not hacking.

Bubblebot08
Bubblebot08
4 posts
Nomad

you taught people how to hack

sgtjohn96
sgtjohn96
1 posts
Nomad

Ok put it this way hackers and glitchers ruined the game. i hold a total of 55 losses to hackers on my combined total of acounts. even in6.1 there are hax outlawtrucker gave out a website for it 2day my record on my newest account is 75 and 5, but 3 of those losses are to hackers and glitchers. KRIN BAN THESE MOFOS by hiring admins to kick cheaters! hackers ruined my record!

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

I doubt he will hire people but maybe he will appoint some admins. Maybe. Personally I only play with people I know.

Bon243
Bon243
96 posts
Nomad

lol 55 losses to hackers

lalala12
lalala12
2,165 posts
Nomad

Technically yes, it is known as cracking.

Of course, most of the world...uses the word "hack" as "crack", and therefore there's really no use saying crackers.

If you say crackers, you'll have to put an explanation in every post on what is a cracker and what is a hacker...so it's not really worth the trouble.

Anyways, about the encryption...would it be possible to require some form of authentication by the server?
I'm thinking of how atomic watches work--it measures the difference between its own clock (the client) and the atomic clock (the server)...or how normal encryption works.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Krin should just appoint moderators or admins who go around hidden, play games, find a hacker, they ban them, and you can only have one account per IP.

Also, Krin, please make it so that the names of all the players, in the color of their bases, listed at the top, so it easier to identify who is who.

gforce1969
gforce1969
33 posts
Nomad

Descartes has a great point. Although i'm wondering if all he does is sit at home and decompile games to find their faults so he can harass the creators of it.

lalala12
lalala12
2,165 posts
Nomad

1 account per IP means that shared computers won't work...

Especially like library computers.

Descartes
Descartes
26 posts
Nomad

Hahaha nah, I don't.
Btw, appointing moderators would probably be the best thing or... potentially the WORST thing that's ever happened to Colony. =/

Hopefully I don't need to explain why..

Showing 16-30 of 42