ForumsSupport ForumMerit thought

71 16135
Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

Hello,

Introduction:
The suggestion can be found below, under the bolded word "Suggestion." (creative?)

I was fiddling around on my profile page taking a look at my merits. Getting merits is not at the top of my list, but I wanted to throw out a tiny suggestion for them. Although I do not post/comment/ and rate for the sole reason of merits, I thought that I might be able to provide a decent addition to them.

As a note, I'd like to say that this post isn't about making merits easier to get or anything of the nature. It is soley an addition I think could improve merits.

Suggestion:

Okay, so here goes nothing!

My suggestion is to add a system into the merits that allow you to see the post/comment you got the merit, and possibly even the date/time of when you got it. In all, I think adding this system could improve feedback on how users get merits, and help them to gain merits in the future.

And you know what happens then? Less complaints to moderators! Yay!

Anyways, that's my suggestion, thanks for taking the time to read, and feel free to discuss!

• 71 Replies
25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

its not too bad to find a comment

Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

its not too bad to find a comment

Sure, but how are you supposed to know which one got you the merit and when?

Please read my OP clearly :P
Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

Update on a few of my points:

Hey everyone, a minute ago I decided to go hunting through my email to try and find a merit message.

After 15 minutes of eye-straining work, I finally found one of my first merits buried deep inside my junk folder.
Now how convenient would it be if you could access merit information (such as the comment, date, and time) straight from the AG website?

A few of you seemed to be unclear on what I was meaning by making this thread, but hopefully this post can clear up some of that confusion.

And once again, I would like to add that improved merit feedback will improve the lives of the moderators because I feel that there will be a signifigant drop in the number of merit complaints if users know how to better recieve them without having to take time to dig through a junk or spam folder.

Hopefully I have made a few things clearer, sorry for any confusion I might have caused with the OP.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Now how convenient would it be if you could access merit information (such as the comment, date, and time) straight from the AG website?

We might as well have a notification up near your control panel for comments on your profile, merits, etc, but that takes time to implement and isn't a priority. Hope for the best with AG3
Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

Yeah, definately not a priority, but would be helpful. I'm sure something will eventually done to the merit system regardless, and I have no doubt AG3 will be good nontheless.

Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

Sorry for double posting...AGAIN, but my OCD is telling me to start another page, so it must be done! Lol.

Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

Bump!

I would really like to hear everyone's opinions on this topic, please post!

fire0fninjas
fire0fninjas
6 posts
Nomad

what are we talking about?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

When a comment get's a merit is is highlighted in big, bold text, which shows everyone that it was awarded a merit. Also, as was said, you can set notifications to get an e-mail when you are awarded a merit. You don't need to elaborate on why a comment gets a merit, if everyone would read the forum post in the newcomers thread about merits everyone would know what is looked for. If the comment got a merit it obviously met the requirements. My suggestion is that people earn a merit or two before they make suggestions about something which they have little to no information about.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Yes they do, but using email to find out your merits would take alot longer, plus I think AG emails go to my spam/junk folders alot, even after I told my email not to do that.

Why add a program when the same program is accessible? You can make a folder in your email to redirect all AG mail to said folder. Speaking of which, this gives me an idea I have to think about later....

Bump!

I would really like to hear everyone's opinions on this topic, please post!

I get your OCD part, but bumping afterwards is just spamming, which is bad. Not trying to be a foot in the thorn, but bumping is unnecessary. We will get to your thread when we get to your thread.
k4th3r1n3
k4th3r1n3
195 posts
Farmer

Administration wrote:

You have have received a new merit on a comment you made!

Check out your new merit on this page:

So yeah, they do show you which page the merit is on.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to simply look for your comment on a page. I don't know how much it matters to know why you received a merit, (since you obviously know how to write a merit-worthy comment) but I really think that posting the awarded comment on your profile would be beneficial to those who constantly complain about not receiving merits for their "great" comments. Being able to read a well-composed review/suggestion will help the little turds see why they should pay attention in English class, and perhaps would produce better comments.

I don't think it would be entirely necessary for admins/mods to do anything differently. Users can do this by using the link provided through email and copying/pasting the comment on their profile. It seems like a lot of people already copy/paste tons o'crap onto their profiles, so why not copypaste something that could be useful?
ImaFiringMyLazar
ImaFiringMyLazar
60 posts
Nomad

I mean people get merits not easily. Moderators and Admins need time. They have work to do. Give them time to do their jobs. They'll probably check on your comment and will say that this needs a merit. Take time for them and deserve what you get. A merit which is 25 AP.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Guess what? If you don't have a merit then there is a reason for that. You know what it is? You haven't earned on yet. Wooow... is it so hard to put your ego aside for a minute and think "hey, maybe my comment just didn't cut the mustard. Oh well, I guess I'll put more effort into my next one."

Must be, because it seems like people make one or two long comments (which doesn't immediately qualify as merit worthy) then spend the next month whining about how they don't have a merit.

#?*! off...

Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

When a comment get's a merit is is highlighted in big, bold text, which shows everyone that it was awarded a merit. Also, as was said, you can set notifications to get an e-mail when you are awarded a merit. You don't need to elaborate on why a comment gets a merit, if everyone would read the forum post in the newcomers thread about merits everyone would know what is looked for. If the comment got a merit it obviously met the requirements. My suggestion is that people earn a merit or two before they make suggestions about something which they have little to no information about.

Guess what? If you don't have a merit then there is a reason for that. You know what it is? You haven't earned on yet. Wooow... is it so hard to put your ego aside for a minute and think "hey, maybe my comment just didn't cut the mustard. Oh well, I guess I'll put more effort into my next one."
Must be, because it seems like people make one or two long comments (which doesn't immediately qualify as merit worthy) then spend the next month whining about how they don't have a merit.
#?*! off...

Okay captain over-reaction, pay attention please. According to your two walls of text, you obviously don't understand this thread, and/or didn't read the OP, please allow me to quote the OP for you.

I was fiddling around on my profile page taking a look at my merits. Getting merits is not at the top of my list, but I wanted to throw out a tiny suggestion for them. Although I do not post/comment/ and rate for the sole reason of merits, I thought that I might be able to provide a decent addition to them.

As a note, I'd like to say that this post isn't about making merits easier to get or anything of the nature. It is soley an addition I think could improve merits.

I also mentioned in the OP that digging throw pages of comments is a pain as well as digging through email.

So in conclusion O' "Master of the Forums and all merit knowledge" PLEASE READ WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT BEFORE POSTING. THANKS.
Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

As for everyone else, thanks for posting ligitimate comments, and thank you for reading.

Showing 16-30 of 71