ForumsNews and FeedbackComment/Rate wait increase

58 13785
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Old suggestion... felt like re-posting in heearee.

Anyway, so I think it would be agreeable that you have to play at least 5 minutes of any flash game to actually play it. So, why not restrict comments and rating to that time? It could includes links to what spam is and how to get merits for non-forum venturers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/gamewaiting.png

The spam link could go to a page like this:
(made up the names)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/whatisspam.png

The Read up on how to get merits link could go to a thread like this.

Along with an unlocker, you could create a separate comment system so you actually have to wait 5 minutes between each comment, to prevent tabbed games.. maybe a rate timer too..

• 58 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Will this kill the fun? I think it will kill the fun. Why should we be limiting our comments if the only problem is what the output contains? Part of the problem is "QUICK FEEDBACK" on the top of the comment box in every game.

Change that so people don't get the wrong idea.

We all want to prevent spam but 5 minutes will just anger a LOT of people. If we want a great deal of people migrating to AG3 and STAYING there, then you must revise/axe this idea. If I was getting more active than usual in the forum posts because there are some tasty tidbits to discuss, I will have to wait 5 minutes to reply to a topic. It may take five minutes to type out a thorough point of view in a WEPR thread, but it seriously does not take that long to type out one paragraph about your opinion. This current paragraph took me 2, and I was thinking.

If you think all short comments are spam, you're wrong. Flat out wrong--the propaganda stuck to you.

Spam = multiple comments in a short amount of time and/or has no relevancy to the current discussion.

So if you see people give out ratings plus a small opinion why that is lower than the famous "7 word rule", then it is NOT spam. If you see people commenting for the sake of commenting for AP, then that IS spam. Flag and/or report away.

So for the few spammers out there, you want to limit everyone else's experience just to hopefully cool them off, which is folly. The only thing that we can do is:

1) higher awareness for spammers. Teach people like yourself and others that don't properly know what spamming is what spamming is and how to prevent and stop it.

2) Encourage anyone and everyone to report someone you think is spamming, with proper evidence. Teach them that reporting a mod has its benefits, as long as you provide links to the profile and the game/thread in which they spammed in.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

@Frank Take the anger bucket off your head and read through the thread again.

This is for RATING AND COMMENTING GAMES. & posts =/= comments

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Okay, it's comments. It doesn't matter if they are long and short. Short comments do not equal spam unless it is meant to be spam. Read my opinions again.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

If you think all short comments are spam, you're wrong. Flat out wrong--the propaganda stuck to you.

Spam = multiple comments in a short amount of time and/or has no relevancy to the current discussion.

So if you see people give out ratings plus a small opinion why that is lower than the famous "7 word rule", then it is NOT spam. If you see people commenting for the sake of commenting for AP, then that IS spam. Flag and/or report away.

Lol. I still delete everything like "good", "7/10", "it sucked", "This wasn't very good" and so on. Just like a delete "lol, ok", "thx" and the like on the forums. Why? Because if you don't have the time to write something out properly, then why would I take the time to read it?
I have seen few posts/comments that actually contribute to a discussion or to give insight on a game that have been less than our guideline? I think the only case has been "Are we allowed to spam on this forum?" "No."
Just saying.

I like the graphic on this. It is quite - functional.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Short comments do not equal spam unless it is meant to be spam.

So, as long as I don't mean to spam, I'm not spamming.

Yeah.

Ignorance doesn't justify breaking the rules.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I'm all for this on the games comments section, but I would recommend that the wait time not apply to the forums, or at least not increase the wait time on the forum. Many of us play forum games, or post in multiple sections at a time where we are fully capable of posting within 30 seconds of other posts without spamming. Any increase to the wait time in the forum would force too much down time on the forum imho.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

@MRWalker82
I think Graham said that it would only be in the game comments not in the forums. I agree putting a time wait would be really bad for the forums.

I think the time you should wait before commenting should be 2-5 minutes. I'm not sure really on an exact time but that range would be pretty good.

iryce4
iryce4
2 posts
Nomad

I use forums all the time and a time wait for posts would just be outrageous and the forums would die slowly. I agree with you on the wait time for the comments though because i see people that post right after one person posts like this: ex: JOE:great game
BOB:10/10
Joe:great game
i see that sort of thing all the time

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I don't understand how people equate comments with forums.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I use forums all the time

Yeah... *looks at post count*. Unless you mean other forums besides this one.
I don't understand how people equate comments with forums.

I bet someone said "forums" in page one.

Also
imho.

imho? What's the h stand for?

But on topic now, I've found out an exact time you should wait before commenting on a game. 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I bet someone said "forums" in page one.

There is no mention until Frank with his angry-bucket on his head.

imho? What's the h stand for?

In my honest opinion
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Lol. I still delete everything like "good", "7/10", "it sucked", "This wasn't very good" and so on. Just like a delete "lol, ok", "thx" and the like on the forums. Why? Because if you don't have the time to write something out properly, then why would I take the time to read it?

So, as long as I don't mean to spam, I'm not spamming.

Yeah.

You two are missing the point. THOSE comments are spam.

5/10 this game is buggy.

10/10 the concept is original

7/10 it's okay could be better

I love the many different units

These above are not. Like I have said before in my original post, unproductive posts are spam. I have clearly laid out what constitutes spam and what isn't. It's more black and white than you think.

There is no mention until Frank with his angry-bucket on his head.

I'm not angry I am arguing my point. If I was angry, I would be making witty lines and throwing out swears.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

These above are not.

Ahaa, I argued with Cenere and Zophia over that grey area somewhere in the past. They said something along the lines of, is it so hard to insert one or two words?

I'm not angry I am arguing my point.

I mean it to represent two things.
1. Staunch opposition (angry)
2. Not reading. (bucket on your head(thinking this is for forums))
respect33
respect33
11 posts
Peasant

i like that is a good idea

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

He said that he USES forums, not POST in them, there is a difference right?

Possibly. But define using the forums.
These above are not.

I agree with you that those comments aren't spam but they aren't exactly good comments either. Those comments would be acceptable, but I think the people here would like to see longer, detailed comments then that. Comments that are close to merit worthy.
Showing 16-30 of 58