ForumsNews and FeedbackComment/Rate wait increase

58 13784
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Old suggestion... felt like re-posting in heearee.

Anyway, so I think it would be agreeable that you have to play at least 5 minutes of any flash game to actually play it. So, why not restrict comments and rating to that time? It could includes links to what spam is and how to get merits for non-forum venturers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/gamewaiting.png

The spam link could go to a page like this:
(made up the names)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/whatisspam.png

The Read up on how to get merits link could go to a thread like this.

Along with an unlocker, you could create a separate comment system so you actually have to wait 5 minutes between each comment, to prevent tabbed games.. maybe a rate timer too..

• 58 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Those are the comments we would like to see, yes, but that doesn't mean because it isn't, it should be deleted. The ones I posted are acceptable; the ones that are meaningless aren't. Again, the heading at the top says "Quick Feedback".

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Again, the heading at the top says "Quick Feedback".

Maybe there should be a character limit such as you can only post 700 characters and that's it so people won't have to give 'book length' comments that mods have to read to think if the comment was merit worthy. My merit comment was around 600 characters so I think that would be appropriate.

A little off topic there.

Is the wait increase a go or a no go?
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Others think it's a good idea, others...well, it's a timer. 5 minutes seemed too excessive, but Graham reduced it to 2(?) minutes. Come on. There will still be the same amount of spam, just it will take longer to make it. People who really DO wanna spam the comments will do just so, just they will have to take longer to make it happen. Others that don't plan on doing so will be affected negatively and will have low tolerance for the flexibility of their experience at the site.

"Why should I wait for X amount of time to just comment about how I feel about this game? Should we be affected because of the inevitable habits of spammers?"

Yes, there will be less spam. There will also be less people.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I'm wondering how many posts telling you to read through the thread will actually make you do it.

[quote=Page 1]
How long is 5 minutes really? To get some frame of reference I'll start a timer on playing Warlords 2. I finished the first level as Men of the West and was in buying a unit screen. But that's a long game!

Fragger Lost City: I had to do level 6 twice, I barely got to level 8.

Nanopath: I got to level 10.

Remember, these are all games I've played before, so there's no needing to look how to play it.[/quote]

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Folks, please keep in mind as well that we're still unsure of how AP will play into the new comment system we're building. And since game pages may very well get a full "review" news feed where people can post helpful comments, then a general purpose news feed where people can post quick comments seems fine to me.

I think the "spam" flag will help a lot here too -- if you write a comment of "this game sucks" and ten thousand people mark your post as spam, it'll get removed along with any points you got from it, etc. (the number of flags doesn't matter, it's just an example)

I believe the moderators will have their work cut out for them, but I think we're also trying to build in a bit of a self-policing system where you as users can help determine what sort of information is helpful or not.

In a world where Twitter runs rampant, it's getting more and more common to see short text updates about things, so as someone else said, a comment of "5/10 this game is buggy" or "8/10 wow, this is a pretty original game" are totally fine with me.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I'm wondering how many posts telling you to read through the thread will actually make you do it.

I've read this. You are saying that 5 minutes isn't much of a deal when you are active. What justifies your idea? Why will this help? It's not going to stop a thing, just make it slower.

I like one thing about your idea and that is notifying you what spam is and how to prevent it. The rest of the idea you are talking about is limiting how users act within the game comments. Just let them do what they want within the rules, sheesh.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

It deters rate spamming and comment spamming within a short amount of time. How can people be mad at a time limit, when it takes them that long to actually start playing a game?

5 minutes seemed too excessive, but Graham reduced it to 2(?) minutes.
[quote]I've read this.
[/quote]
I never did.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

[quote=Graham]I never did.[/quote]

....copy the entire quote, thereby taking it out of context.

Actually, I'm willing to be flexible with this. Put a timer on the rating. Make the guys play the game before they decide to rate it, to rule out the unfair, biased, quick judging. Putting a timer on the comments? Puhleez.

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

However, it is not going to force a person to create a non-spammy comment.

But it will prevent mass-spam from certain users (And most surely bots too). If they are willing to wait 5 minutes to write a 1 word comment, then LOL. Anyone caught doing it faster would surely be a hacker.

You are not alone in this disappointment.

one of us, one of...

Would this apply to the forums? Then I'd disagree, as in some topics you simply can't write for 5 minutes. And as you can see, the forums aren't seriously one-word spammed. At least not as bad as comments...

ALSO: For this to work, the AG clock has to be up and running real smooth. A lot of old users will remember the occasional time when you couldn't post anything for 5 minutes, or in 10 seconds...
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

its the spam itself that we care about! right? If you find a way that we can clear out spam 100% then I be happy to accept and approve your idea,

You can't force someone to make a non-spammy comment. That's why I put in links to information about what spam is and how to get merits.

Putting a timer on the GAME comments? Puhleez.

...copy the entire quote, thereby taking it out of context.

It's not as if that'll help

Others think it's a good idea, others...well, it's a timer. 5 minutes seemed too excessive, but Graham reduced it to 2(?) minutes. Come on. There will still be the same amount of spam, just it will take longer to make it.
[quote]I've read this. You are saying that 5 minutes isn't much of a deal when you are active. What justifies your idea? Why will this help? It's not going to stop a thing, just make it slower.
[/quote]

If you're actively trying to comment/rate, 5 minutes would only seem longer.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

information about what spam is

"spam" as a term is highly subjective. As far as AG Forums go, calling something "spam" means a short reply that doesn't add anything helpful to the conversation.

As far as AG3 goes, having a delay based on your karma score might be a good idea -- the higher your score, the lower the delay for posting, and once your karma is over a certain level, your delay goes away completely.

The tough part is when you come to the site as a new user and have trouble posting because you suddenly have limitations imposed on you for not having any karma at all.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

on the forums they should take the timer away on forum games you dont earn any ap so whats the point?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

If we build a forum setup where some forums don't award karma for participation, and people post forum games, then yes perhaps we can also specify that those forums do not have timers involved.

That still leaves things open, however, to spammers/trolls who simply want to cut/paste a bunch of text into several messages just to be annoying.

Alexsei
Alexsei
4 posts
Nomad

An increased waiting time for comments and rates would definitely reduce spam -- I've seen some people going down a list of games, giving a one-word comment and a quick rate just for the gain of AP. I approve this idea.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Taking my last idea a step further, we could track the highest karma a user has ever had, and if their karma drops too far away from that old maximum value, *then* we impose a delay between posts.

However, that's not going to stop people from creating alternate accounts just to troll or post spam, at which point we need to start looking for other ways to track user's behaviors to ban them, like maybe a temporary ban on their IP address for a day or two.

Showing 31-45 of 58