ForumsNews and FeedbackComment/Rate wait increase

58 13798
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Old suggestion... felt like re-posting in heearee.

Anyway, so I think it would be agreeable that you have to play at least 5 minutes of any flash game to actually play it. So, why not restrict comments and rating to that time? It could includes links to what spam is and how to get merits for non-forum venturers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/gamewaiting.png

The spam link could go to a page like this:
(made up the names)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/whatisspam.png

The Read up on how to get merits link could go to a thread like this.

Along with an unlocker, you could create a separate comment system so you actually have to wait 5 minutes between each comment, to prevent tabbed games.. maybe a rate timer too..

• 58 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

That's a good idea, especially to people who just rate the game without playing it. However, If people have already played that game before and have to wait 5 minutes just to rate it, they might get a little frustrated.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

...to ban them, like maybe a temporary ban on their IP address for a day or two.

That's a good idea, and it would prevent people from making new accounts just to get around a ban, but they could just register on a different computer.
kacboy
kacboy
1,846 posts
Nomad

5 minutes is a good idea on games. Profile comments and forum posts should stay at 30 though. And the timer is good two.

knight_34
knight_34
13,821 posts
Farmer

That's a good idea, and it would prevent people from making new accounts just to get around a ban, but they could just register on a different computer.

Well, those "other" addresses can get temp bans too.

Under the current system I do not see how a 5 minute req will hurt. Most people stop by to comment on a game. Putting in a limit will ward off those people who think that playing a game for one minute and then making up their minds about it is a good a idea. Under the current system.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

It's also possible, of course, to see how often a user is posting and if their behavior "looks" spammy (lots of short comments in the same thread or several threads or on several game pages, etc), then we could start imposing a delay. I have a feeling that my last idea about karma tracking will put a solid dent in things though, and we could impose karma deficits if we see the same IP/Email registering several accounts in a short span of time, like "Hey, we see you've just made your 43rd account this afternoon. Maybe we won't let you post anything for a day..."

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I'm going to have a chat with the guys tomorrow. The idea of a timer before you can rate a game seems like a good idea, but we'd have to be careful about implementation.

Another user came up with the idea of rating a game based on how difficult you, as a user, find the gameplay. Check out the thread. I think a timer response for that could be handy as well, to ensure the person actually played the game.

I'm wondering, though, if something like a crowd-sourced difficulty rating might have to be something built into the game itself so it doesn't get abused. It could really turn players off if a bunch of people made a difficult game sound really easy, or frustrate a gamedev who makes an easy game but a bunch of people flag it as "impossible".

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Also in that thread, I proposed statistics, which would be brought up via link or drop-down box that could see how many users rated 10, 7, 5, 2, etc., which could be implemented into both the average rating and the other aspects of the game. While that thread proposes difficulty, I thought of having the game rated with other aspects, such as gameplay, sound, graphics, replayability, etc.

These are the kind of threads that help each other out, I guess.

Zanto_zsnes
Zanto_zsnes
1,148 posts
Nomad

I think there shouldn't be a comment/rate wait increase or decrease. I think there shouldn't be one at all, because everyone can think out they're review and post it to stay there forever unless it get's deleted by a member of the staff. I mean, why would you need to post a comment and another one right after that one? No! that's not right. People should take they're time to think a review for the game they just played, and you could only post one review per game. Posting several reviews may just be considered spam. Since you won't be getting AP for posting reviews on AG3, I think it should be only one review per game.

And there should also be a rating system, like Freakenstein mentioned above. Overall, you shouldn't be allowed to post 2 or more reviews, only one for every single game. That's a way to be fair.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Hold that thought Zanto, lemme see what everyone posted...I kinda forgot what everyone else said in this thread...

I like the thought of reputation being set in for your timers. If you are a pretty reputable person who usually posts very strong comments, the timer wait would go down a smidgen. After all, we wanna promote and encourage those comments. If you are in the negatives somewhere, mostly due to your spammy activity, the timer would go up. I see it as a...detriment to the posting, as it implies "Woah there Charlie. Go post some good comments every once in a while!"

Of course, we all should get a timer for waiting to comment and rate, no question there. Play the game, immerse yourself in it, then when the X minutes are up, you can rate and comment as you please.

Zanto_zsnes
Zanto_zsnes
1,148 posts
Nomad

Of course, we all should get a timer for waiting to comment and rate, no question there. Play the game, immerse yourself in it, then when the X minutes are up, you can rate and comment as you please.

Wait a minute.
You did get what my post was about, right? I was talking about posting one review per game.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I think there shouldn't be a comment/rate wait increase or decrease.
I think there shouldn't be one at all
why would you need to post a comment and another one right after that
No! that's not right. People should take they're time to think

You just helped explain why we might need to introduce those timers. It's to stop people from spamming "good game" reviews in quick succession to build up reputation/points, and actually contribute ideas which have been thought out. Granted, there's a time and place for short replies, but game reviews will likely be their own category on the game play pages.

Play the game, immerse yourself in it, then when the X minutes are up, you can rate and comment as you please.

We already make the player wait a few seconds before a game rating will save. Larry and I just discussed a few ideas for how we could enable the comment form without too much system overhead. We'll discuss it more internally.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Wait a minute.
You did get what my post was about, right? I was talking about posting one review per game.

Yes, yes I did, except what you quoted wasn't in regards to your response lol

You want to post only one review per game, yet still get to post comments. Posting a review probably won't need restrictions. Clarify if wrong, but in the future we will have one box for reviews and one for quick feedback. In this case, reviews probably won't have restrictions, while quick feedback will.
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

I think a rating system for comments would be good. If a comment gets an especially bad rating, then it'll be minimized.

Showing 46-58 of 58