ForumsWEPRThe definition of 'Normal'

35 7911
CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

What exactly is a 'Normal Person'. I mean, does it even exist? Tell me your opinions on the definition.

• 35 Replies
thamaster05
thamaster05
8 posts
Nomad

Normal is the way a person views themselves. Everyone seems normal in their own way, everyone seems abnormal to other people. What i think is that normal doesn't even exist, because EVERY single person is different from another in some way. So wouldn't that make us all abnormal?

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

In all honesty, who wants to be just normal? I mean, really. Let us take this site as an example, specifically the armatars. No one wants to be considered 'normal' or like all the rest, each person wants to be unique in some way. Same thing with many, many other topics.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
922 posts
Scribe

Exactly. Think about the site, nobody wants everyone to have their armatar, well at least I don't. We all want to have our own way. Overplayed songs (like Paralyzer) get old very fast because everyone listens to it. I love Coheed and Cambria, a band that not a whole lot of people like. I just love being different from the "normal" I guess normal is in the eyes of the one judging. Someone before said that everyone is different (which is true) so there is no defined normal.

Nerdius
Nerdius
420 posts
Nomad

It was I who said No two people are the same and I still stand by it. If I am "normal" then how come I am on Armor Games while my neighbor has never heard of it?

JWE
JWE
111 posts
Nomad

Normal changes constantly, in the 1600's it was normal for you to throw you're excrement onto the street.

There is no definition of normal.

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

I do not believe anyone on this thread has posed any stance towards a group of people being 'normal'. As far as I am concerned, only a fool will really label 'normal' with a definete definition.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

NO End topic, everyone is normal in there own way

Nerdius
Nerdius
420 posts
Nomad

If I am 'normal' and my friend is 'normal' how come I play sports and he doesn't? Just another question that PROVES that there is no 'normal' that rather there is common and uncommon. What most do and what most don't. Seriously, what is your reasoning turret?

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

If there was a 'normal' family where there was nothing ever went wrong, that be wierd.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

Normal is not necessarily a set of rules to abide by, or go against, as you wish. Normal is constantly changing as people are changing.

Homegrove said:

As far as I am concerned, only a fool will really label 'normal' with a definete definition.

conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm; not abnormal; "serve wine at normal room temperature"; "normal diplomatic relations"; "normal working hours"; "normal word order"; "normal curiosity"; "the normal course of events"

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/normal

Basically, whatever society deems proper is normal. Recently, it seems divorce has become 'normal' although we would hope that it would not be. Normal can be positive or negative, depending on the circumstance. Im glad that my body is, for the most part, normal. I dont have feet where my hands go, theyre in the 'normal' spot. My mental functions are, for the most part, normal. I dont think Im a glass of orange juice, nor do I have the mentality of a three year old. These 'normal' things are good.

There are some things about each of us that makes us unique, but that does not mean its abnormal. It seems, in the advent of Hot Topic and the like, being what was once thought as abnormal is becoming more and more the norm.
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

The link is

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/normal

thegrim23
thegrim23
172 posts
Nomad

The definition of normal is: anybody but Thegrim23(me)

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Next question:

"Why is the concept of 'normal' important to us?"

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

I think its more important to adolescents who are trying to find themselves and their place in the world. I remember when I was younger, everyone had a label and a clique, the goths, the preps, etc. I havent thought of those, or labeled myself as such, in years, nor have I contemplated whether or not Im "normal" until this topic popped up, and I got curious as to what the actual definition was...

I suppose its important because if people are picked on or called 'weird' they wonder what makes them abnormal. Also, if people want to fit in, they want to know what normalcy is.

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Normal is important to most of us because as humans, we are a social species, if you were shuned from society, you would probobly veiw yourself as a failure.

Showing 16-30 of 35