ForumsGamesWASD vs Arrow Keys

537 164725
silvermoon123
silvermoon123
855 posts
Nomad

Do you use WASD or the arrow keys? Why is WASD even an option? Why are arrow keys so superior? Questions like these and more can be posted here, as well as lots of answers! Give your opinion on these basic movement controls below!

• 537 Replies
nyscoutsanimeplace
nyscoutsanimeplace
34 posts
Nomad

I have a lap top so I use wasd. im a lefty so it helps

bakkart
bakkart
636 posts
Prince

I'm a lefty, which means I have the mouse on the left side ... which means arrow keys are better for me.

CTRM4742
CTRM4742
13 posts
Shepherd

WASD was very annoying for me but now its the best comfertable movement keys for me... arrow keys wont give u a good spce between your mouse and the keyboard ... like from left hand from right hand. in other hand we can use alphabatical keys to activate several options same time u move in a game . And its very easy to reach alph. keys from WASD rather than arrow keys.

Raze5000
Raze5000
47 posts
Treasurer

I kind of think the argument of you use WASD only when you are a lefty is a bit moot. I am a right hander and I have used WASD ever since I started playing video games (since I was six, and except for my first six months of gaming, where I used arrows cos WASD was not yet introduced.
And even more, every gamer in my school uses WASD. Thats like 800 people. WASD is closer and more accessible to any other key on your keyboard, and it also increased my typing skills. Arrows only work in flash games because WASD is more the sort of thing you see in RPG MMOs or FPS MMOs because you have a variety of commands and moves you can use (or because arrows aren't in the game options, like in Uberstrike).
In my opinion, WASD is better, and far superior.

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

I'm a lefty but I use a bit of both. When casually internetting I use my right hand for the mouse but in gaming I use WASD and only arrow keys in casual games that don't require much precision.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I use arrow keys, I've been using arrow keys for a long time and I don't see the point in switching.

Also my hands are small and it just seems more comfortable.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

WASD is better for right hand users.
For games I think it is also better, because you have keys around it for equipment or other moves and such, with arrow you have no readily accessible keys.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I wouldn't mind the wasds:
- If w were aligned properly.
- If the surrounding keys were further apart.
- If I could locate them easily in the dark.

But, then I'd have a really weird keyboard.

WASD is better for right hand users.

I challenge this claim. The simplest solution to this is to increase the separation between keyboard and mouse.

On the other hand, the arrow keys on my laptop aren't very good either. They're compressed into a little square like this:
? / || shift ||num1
ctrl||||num0

My preference is for the numpad, because it's set apart from the rest, has nine keys to be used for directions, and is bordered by rectangular keys for everything else.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

ctrl||||num0

||(left)||(up/down)||(right)||

Because the less-than/greater-than symbols are mistaken for code.
Showing 526-534 of 537