ForumsPopular MediaHow to not be scared of horror movies

34 11358
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Hi guys. I am going with my GF to see Saw one at a friend's house. I don't want her to know I am scared of horror movies, but I saw the trailer for the Shining and had to sleep with the light on. I kept hearing "Red rum,Red rum," echoing through my head.

Do you guys have any tips?

• 34 Replies
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

just do what i did when i was a kid and was afraid after seeing a horror movie just go with it..even if your scared force your self to watch it and if your scared at night or have nightmares just go threw it and if its to much then your probably not gunna get over it

WhitePerson
WhitePerson
21 posts
Nomad

Just imagine you are doing great things with your gf

works for me
jkmadman1
jkmadman1
1,066 posts
Nomad

If your feeling anxious take a few deep breathes and tell yourself that it's not real over and over. Rethink the scary scenes over and over making it less scary eaac time E.g. killer comes out of nowhere and kills some kid with a knife. think it again and make the knife a stick. think peaceful thoughts afterward. and yes i got this all from wikihow before somebody goes and critisizes me.

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Scary movies are more scary in theory than in practice.
Besides, you're going to watch Saw which is one of the most pointless and worst movies around... you'll fall asleep before you can spell F-E-A-R (or at least that happened to me).

If you seriously start getting scared though, just tell yourself it's stupid and that stuff is obviously not gonna happen.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

Just imagine you are doing great things with your gf

I already do that when I am bored to tears.
iko
iko
161 posts
Nomad

SAW really isn't that scary, it's a lot more bloody. Good scary movie to start with if you're not too squeamish.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

I just watched annoying orange saw. Does Billy the puppet actually talk like that??

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Pinch yourself. Put a tack in your pocket, and press it when suspense is building up. You can't surprise yourself. So when the sudden boo! happens, you can't be surprised. My dad used yell boo!when I was younger so that when something happened, I would be scared. In the end, I found out that if you already do it to yourself and expect it to happen, you won't be surprised. Connecting physical to mental pain helps prevent the mental pain in the first place. It's either the physical or mental, and the mental pain can make you seem like a wimp.

WolfWolf
WolfWolf
801 posts
Nomad

What I usually do is point out all the stupid stuff in the movie. Like in one Saw movie where I think a guy had his hand put in acid I ruined it for my friend saying it was just lemonade. Or if you don't feel like ruining the movie and you don't really want to watch it then bring a music player(if you don't have one then try to borrow one) and some headphones and listen to music with you're eyes closed. If you forced yourself to watch the whole movie without interuptions and it scared you to death think about the parts that scared you the most and question them. Can it really happen? Is their really some puppet that puts people in deadly situations? Finally watch another movie, a happy one to forget about it. Those are usually what I do when I get scared from a movie or when I'm going to see a horror movie that I don't want to see.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

What I usually do is point out all the stupid stuff in the movie. Like in one Saw movie where I think a guy had his hand put in acid I ruined it for my friend saying it was just lemonade. Or if you don't feel like ruining the movie and you don't really want to watch it then bring a music player(if you don't have one then try to borrow one) and some headphones and listen to music with you're eyes closed. If you forced yourself to watch the whole movie without interuptions and it scared you to death think about the parts that scared you the most and question them. Can it really happen? Is their really some puppet that puts people in deadly situations? Finally watch another movie, a happy one to forget about it. Those are usually what I do when I get scared from a movie or when I'm going to see a horror movie that I don't want to see.

I don't think this will work. Saw is just gory, not horror. The Shining is horror. There are no stupid things in that movie.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I just laugh at every corny moment. Works well with movies like Marley and Me and Schindler's List too, if you don't want to cry~

WolfWolf
WolfWolf
801 posts
Nomad

The Shining is horror. There are no stupid things in that movie.

The Shining wasn't all that scary to me. In fact it made me laugh a bit. Especially the "Here's Johnny" scene, and the Red Rum part. I was thinking where did he get that from? I guess I'll have to agree with you that there wasn't a bunch of stupid things in it though.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

The Shining wasn't all that scary to me. In fact it made me laugh a bit. Especially the "Here's Johnny" scene, and the Red Rum part. I was thinking where did he get that from? I guess I'll have to agree with you that there wasn't a bunch of stupid things in it though.

It is suspense more than anything. Not horror, but you could have some bad dreams about it. If you have a weak stomach, don't watch gory movies. If you get scared easily, then watch everything BUT suspense. Suspense scares me more than gore since it is the mystery that is scary, not the nasty gross stuff.

If you really do not like suspense, eliminate it by expecting it. How do you expect it? Wake yourself up from the trance the suspense put you in by pinching yourself. Use the tack method I told you about. Make sure you don't cut yourself, though.
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

I think the exorcist is the scariest movie EVER.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

I think the exorcist is the scariest movie EVER.

I think the Blair Witch Project was. Suspense to the max. The Exorcist had some suspense, but a lot of nasty stuff. Suspense scares me because it is the baby step into the unknown, and the unknown can be a scary place.
Showing 1-15 of 34