ForumsWEPRWhat's with the Gas Prices?!

172 29437
Beast_all_games
Beast_all_games
64 posts
Nomad

Well I know most of us are children right now, playing on this website, but as we get older the gas prices tend to increase. I don't even want to think about how much gas is gonna be when I turn 20!

• 172 Replies
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I'm sure if the government stepped in, then we could probably find some kind of alternative for gas, and oil.Right now though the recession is a bit annoying,and my family didn't even bother going on a vacation this year because of it.I just hope this all ends soon.

Dawt
Dawt
26 posts
Nomad

As we continue to discover alternative fuel sources, there are many cheap ways to get around!
As DragonMistress mentioned - there are public transportation vehicles, hybrid cars, and you can utilize carpooling. The gas fiasco won't be around forever~

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Corn is not a renewable resource.

Seriously? Of course it is a renewable resource. We plant it, grow it, chop it down, use it, then plant more. How could it not be renewable?
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Seriously? Of course it is a renewable resource. We plant it, grow it, chop it down, use it, then plant more. How could it not be renewable?

If there is bad weather where corn is grown, what do we do? That is why it is non renewable. Yes, we have plenty of it but we can still run out.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Well bad weather would have to be consistent to wipe out corn, and keep it wiped out. Once the bad weather is over, we plant more, and guess what, IT'S RENEWED (hence the name, renewable resource).

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Yes, but think about how long it takes for corn to grow where we could use it. Also, by that time, demand will be so high that I don't think enough corn could be grown to supply it.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Ok true, but it takes half a year for corn to grow.

Also, i don't think bad whether would wipe out every single supply of corn that there is. So we could still keep supply up. And also, not everyone would buy this new fuel.

Dawt
Dawt
26 posts
Nomad

Well bad weather would have to be consistent to wipe out corn, and keep it wiped out. Once the bad weather is over, we plant more, and guess what, IT'S RENEWED (hence the name, renewable resource)

Ok now take a moment and think about how much corn there is, how much corn it takes to make a gallon of ethanol, and then how many cars are in the US. We already tried using corn as an alternative, and now look at the result; stores limit corn purchases and the price of it has gone up enormously.
We're talking about a constant renewable resource, like water/sun/air
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

It's kind of off-topic, but I have another point to make:

Everybody is blaming this economy on speculators. This economy runs on speculation. If you invest in the stock market, you are hoping that the stock that you buy will go up in value. That's speculating! The whole economy will collapse if everybody stops speculating! That's what happened at the start of the Great Depression; nobody trusted the banks or the stock market, so they took all their money out of them and the economy came to a standstill for 9 years.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I hate how companies are promoting the "Green" thing just for profit.

Dawt
Dawt
26 posts
Nomad

I hate how companies are promoting the "Green" thing just for profit.

Well yeah...
It's great that companies are "going green", it's the ideal corporate play in our current situation. It may be a profitable marketing campaign, but it's also good for the world!
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

the cost of gas is almost the same as it was in the 80's. it's inflation, thats all. compare minimum wage then to minimum wage now and do the same with gas prices.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

the cost of gas is almost the same as it was in the 80's. it's inflation, thats all. compare minimum wage then to minimum wage now and do the same with gas prices.

Minimum wage only affects the teenagers and lower class though. Also, you have to look at it this way. In the past year, gas has raised $1 per gallon. Nobody is getting raises. Actually, unemployment rate is rising so the cost of gas is definitely not equal. You can't just take minimum wage because that only affects a small portion of the workers.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

"Minimum wage only affects the teenagers and lower class though. Also, you have to look at it this way. In the past year, gas has raised $1 per gallon. Nobody is getting raises. Actually, unemployment rate is rising so the cost of gas is definitely not equal. You can't just take minimum wage because that only affects a small portion of the workers."

Theres quite a number of people living on minimum wage :-$
And increasing too I think.

dagothur1300
dagothur1300
149 posts
Nomad

why do people thimk that the prices in the US are so high. I live in England and the prices here are almost $15 a gallon after converting £1.16per litre to dollars per gallon

Showing 136-150 of 172