Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Ideas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 4, '11 at 7:20pm

KyahcoSukaimasutae

KyahcoSukaimasutae

314 posts

And Would the names be posted directly under the name and the posts be moved down?  Because I want to know if they are the trolls

What exactly do you mean? Do oyu mean on your profile? If so I think so for a month after your change, and what do you mean by trolls? (You can't troll wit your use name if that's what you mean, you'll get peram-banned.)

Say if firetail_madness changed his, by purpose or accident, people would sit there at the end of the thirty days just pressing the name change button until someone gets it.

Well first come first severed, ya snoze ya lose,finders keepers loser weepers,
Lifes isn't fair, and ya don't always get what ya want. Those all seem to cover it.

I don't want my name stolen; even AFTER a month.

Well think of it as any other thing you own, if you sell or give away or even though away that object and get a new one , but then go " hmm I liked the old one better" you can't just say I want my old one back, some else owns it now.
Same with the usernames, and making it so you have a "patten" on it and no one can use after you change to a new one would make it so people can just make a name and change over and over so that they own all these names that no one can touch! Now that is real trolling! But you'l have a once a month limit. (Cuz of the. Month period thing)

So I think cormyn should stick with the plann they have at the moment.

Posted Apr 4, '11 at 7:25pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,694 posts

Knight

Say if firetail_madness changed his, by purpose or accident, people would sit there at the end of the thirty days just pressing the name change button until someone gets it.

People can tell the difference between others.

And Would the names be posted directly under the name and the posts be moved down?  Because I want to know if they are the trolls.

Read through the whole thread. Cormyn said something about the Administrators and Moderators being able to see your name change history. When you do change your name, the URL Address for your profile will remain your old username for 30 days. After that, it switches to the new username. As for trolls, Moderators and Administrators can see the name change history. If someone attempts to troll the forums with someone's old username, they will be banned.

Posted Apr 6, '11 at 9:05pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

The way we're planning the URL redirect is that the system will see a request come in for, eg., "armorgames.com/user/GhostOfMatrix" and try to match the username in the system. If it fails, it'll do a quick check to see if "GhostOfMatrix" has changed his name to something else. If so, it'll bounce the browser to the new profile, say, "armorgames.com/user/GhostlyMatrix" or whatever the new name is.

However, if any other user takes your old username, or the 30-day waiting period is over, obviously that URL redirection will no longer work...

Posted Apr 6, '11 at 9:17pm

tegan190

tegan190

614 posts

My suggestion is that on the forums/page it should list the users former and current username, however once 30 days is up the former username will go away. I also think that people should not be able to take peoples first username (username they signed up with) no matter how long they have it changed for.

Example:
Tegan170
(formerly as Tegan190)
170 posts.

That's my suggestion :)

Posted Apr 7, '11 at 12:52pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

I also think that people should not be able to take peoples first username (username they signed up with) no matter how long they have it changed for.

No, the idea we had is that once you give up your username, you've given it up, and any other user can grab that name and use it.

Posted Apr 7, '11 at 12:52pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Also worth mentioning again: permabanned users will be in the AG3 database, so nobody will be able to change their name to one of those names.

Posted Apr 13, '11 at 2:13am

spjohn

spjohn

10 posts

I would like to ask a question: Will the login name(account-name) remains unchanged or follows to change, when a user changes his/her username(displayname)?

I agree with most of cormyn's ideas all the way through this thread. One thing I am afriad I don't like is the limit of time for users to change their usernames. In terms of identification, a username is quite a sole method for users to recognize other users, besides from users' armatars, for example, when I see a black skeleton holding a sword with an orange background, I know this is cormyn. But who is cormyn? "cormyn" is a very hard-working admin in AG. What if cormyn changed his username, and after one month another user changed to this name. I would have 90% chance mistaking this person as the admin in comments(places without armatars)if I'm not an active forum user.
For me one month is too short,and I would like to learn more about the restrictions of usernames' changing, thanks.

Posted Apr 14, '11 at 12:59pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Will the login name(account-name) remains unchanged or follows to change, when a user changes his/her username(displayname)?

If you change your username, you will use that new name to log into the web site.

One thing I am afriad I don't like is the limit of time for users to change their usernames. ... one month is too short,and I would like to learn more about the restrictions of usernames' changing, thanks.

We can certainly take this under advisement. Generally speaking, moderators and admins will not change their usernames, and even if they do, our armatars and/or other items (like the 'Administrator' tag under my armatar) will clearly show that we're an authority figure on the site. As far as other users go, I don't imagine many users will change their username more than twice. Given the requirements for changing the username in the first place, and that they can't change their name to any other name that's still in use (or is a banned user), and that we might impose other restrictions like waiting 6 months before you could change your name again, I'm sure users will put some thought into the whole name change process.

Posted Apr 16, '11 at 6:55am

Luksy2

Luksy2

16 posts

Cormyn, do we get an email after we change our username? Something like "You have changed your username. Your new username is XxXxXxXx". Something like a reminder.

Posted Apr 16, '11 at 2:19pm

Ghgt99

Ghgt99

1,441 posts

No, the idea we had is that once you give up your username, you've given it up, and any other user can grab that name and use it.

So you really have to be sure you want to change it. I will probably keep mine the same though, I use Ghgt99 as my account name for all gaming websites.