ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156866
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Honestly, it has been a long time since I have been on this topic, the answer lies in the magnetic and electromagnetic fields.
just how positive and negative (proton electron) attract, same goes for north and south poles of magnets.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Well, it doesn't pull on frogs. Ever seen that? The water in the frog acts as a superconducter and it is put in a ball of layered magnetic feilds with the weakest in the center and the frog floats.

We need to find out about this thing. It is a form of one of the fundamental forces and it affects everything from atomic particles to celestial bodies.

How are quarks held together?

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Quarks are elementary particles, so, they are not composed of any other particles. An individual quark is not held together by anything because it is an elementary particle.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Master, do you have a problem with either dragon or me?

no. only the short-sighted would think that. although neither of you have realized my plan.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I meant quarks held together to form a particle. That would be the strong atomic force, right?

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

no. only the short-sighted would think that. although neither of you have realized my plan.

i honestly don't care, unless we suddenly go into psychology to figure you plots out, you still aren't contributing in a helpful manor.

That would be the strong atomic force, right?

Yes, there would be a very strong bond holding them intact.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I meant of the four fundamental forces (strong and weak atomic forces, elctromagnetism and gravity), it would be strong atomic forces?

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Yes, strong atomic forces is what acts applies to quarks and gluons to make protons, neutrons, and other particles.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Now, fusion and fission release energy by weak nuclear forces, what if we completely crushed an atom into quarks and gluons? I'm fairly sure that would release an incredible amount of energy. Going even further, crush them into energy and an ounce of matter would make an ounce of energy. An ounce of enegy is absolutely inconcievable.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I'm kind of glad you brought this up because I was thinking of getting into the topic of force fields next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_field

What you you think of combining the bubble of charged plasma with an electrostatic wall? Of course on major problem is the power consumption. (you might note the floating frog experiment is touched on in the electrostatic wall experiment.)

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Very interesting idea. Going even further, in a spaceship it could power the sheilds aswell as the warp drive, life support and serve as a mega weapon.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

interesting. but how could it be used as a weapon?

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

If all of the energy is released at once, it will be a mega nuke.

E1337, yeah, that's the one.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

so we would fight in space? but what's the point of that it seems expensive and useless. i see it's good for travel but would another country blast us out of the sky just because they don't want us? i hope not because it would be hard enough to delvelop the technology sepreatly. i don't see why they shouldn't join together and form one efficent space transportation system.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Well, it could be used for noncombatant weaponry, such as for incoming meteors and the like.

Showing 376-390 of 1019