ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1390049
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Cop out. Truth is, IT DOES NOT WORK IN REALITY.
You want one year to repair the conscience damage done from 1960??? No wai.
ChronosSolar
ChronosSolar
17 posts
Nomad

Someone said something funny:

The Bible is like a software licence. Everyone just scrolls down to the bottom and clicks "I agree".
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I mean honestly, all this sperm is sacred nonsense is rather retarded when you get right down to it. If every sperm is a potential life, all teenage boys have killed hundreds of &quoteople" either by masturbation or nocturnal emission.

The average semen count is about 60 million per milliliter. A guy can product between 0.1-10 milliliters per ejaculation. That's between 6,000,000-600,000,000 sperm per ejaculation on average. Even done where conception is achieved we are still looking at millions of sperm being killed per ejaculation. Very sacred stuff there... >_>
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

The Bible is like a software licence. Everyone just scrolls down to the bottom and clicks "I agree".

Yeah but this happens to everything. The most commonly told lie is I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions.
Latchem
Latchem
75 posts
Farmer

Heh, I love the massive arguments between Atheism and Religion. The only difference between the two are the answers. For example, all of life's great questions "How did the Universe Begin", "How do species get to this" are solved by both. "God did it" is a lot easier to digest than the "real" answer. Religion isn't supposed to give THE Answer but AN answer :P Think about it, if you're God or the man / men creating this guide to life, do you want to confuse the masses by giving them long winded explanations that will only confuse and worry them? or give them the simple answer of "God did it". Kinda like a maths lesson, would you rather write "God" for all answers and be done with it fully satisfied or spend hours doing all the painstaking workings out which you barely understand? :P ... I'm an atheist (thank God)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yeah but this happens to everything.

How do you figure this happens with everything?

Heh, I love the massive arguments between Atheism and Religion. The only difference between the two are the answers. For example, all of life's great questions "How did the Universe Begin", "How do species get to this" are solved by both.

Well no there isn't anything in atheism that answers these questions. We turn to science to find answers to such questions. Though not just jumping to and sticking with a conclusion like how religion does is required for science to work.

With religion it starts with the idea that God exists which is a completely baseless assumption. With science we start with something observable.
Latchem
Latchem
75 posts
Farmer

Yeah, it's a way of living though :P One's simply easier to believe than the other:P If you put an idea out there that the mind can find reason to believe (Ghosts opening doors) then it will accept it because it's far more reasonable than wind opening the door. Even some miracles can be explained, the paralyzed man could have been healed because it has been proven that paralysis can be fixed by a strong mentality :P So God exists because he HAS to otherwise you gotta fix a lot of things, thus destroying most of your life and beliefs :P

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yeah, it's a way of living though :P

So not believing something is a way of life?

If you put an idea out there that the mind can find reason to believe (Ghosts opening doors) then it will accept it because it's far more reasonable than wind opening the door.

I wouldn't say it' more reasonable to say ghosts open doors then the wind opened a door, but we aren't always reasonable. We want answers, so if we don't have one immediately on hand through reason we tend to make something up to fill that space. Once we do this it can be very hard to let go of that conclusion even when presented with a more reasonable answer.
Latchem
Latchem
75 posts
Farmer

Yeah, it's a kind of Whatever floats your boat :P

We want answers, so if we don't have one immediately on hand through reason we tend to make something up to fill that space. Once we do this it can be very hard to let go of that conclusion even when presented with a more reasonable answer
And yeah, that's why Gods were created? and then stuck, notice that when someone tells you something then someone else says the opposite to that you don't believe them. S'why it all started, sounded good then enough people had the same answer... just over time people worked out that the sun didn't orbit the earth which confused them, they got annoyed at the church, spread their theories of science and upset a lot of people and making the common man very, very confused. I'm sure Science (on the life subjects like evolution ect.) has upset more people than religion has :P
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yeah, it's a kind of Whatever floats your boat :P

Then I guess it's a way of like for Christians to not believe in Buddhism, or Muslims to not believe in Wicca. We tend to base the way we live on what we do believe not what we don't.

just over time people worked out that the sun didn't orbit the earth which confused them, they got annoyed at the church, spread their theories of science and upset a lot of people and making the common man very, very confused. I'm sure Science (on the life subjects like evolution ect.) has upset more people than religion has :P

There were many that while agreeing and pleased with the results the scientific method produced disagreed with how the people were coming to these conclusions. They thought the only way to arrive at such answers was through discussion.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

has upset more people than religion has :P

The only reason it has upset some people is because those people are stupid and don't want to look at reality. On the other hand, religion has upset many people by killing close ones, censoring free speech, putting fear into people's mind...

It's not a way of life. Doing whatever you want is not a way of life. Lol there is no "way" in freedom. Usually people draw their own way.
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

How do you figure this happens with everything?

Fine I'll change this to this happens to every thing with lots of complicated legal stuff which is read by people who don't understand it. But it doesn't really have the same ring to it.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Well, I have read this through. Nice pun tho. Do you know you might have already sold your soul to the devil? There was at least one license agreement that has one of the statements alike "I hereby sell my soul".
For example, all of life's great questions "How did the Universe Begin", "How do species get to this" are solved by both. "God did it" is a lot easier to digest than the "real" answer.
Well, scientists could never know why physics is like what they observe, and not like anything else. For them, it was like this from the beginning. Mainly the same applies to any other science - it has laws, they were there. And no one of them can answer how did these laws become formed. Not "discovered", since people can determine the laws of science, given our minds, but formed, prior to matter ever appearing.
I'm an atheist (thank God)
Hee hee.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well, scientists could never know why physics is like what they observe, and not like anything else. For them, it was like this from the beginning.

Actually we are researching such questions.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

For example, all of life's great questions "How did the Universe Begin",

I really don't know how to respond except, Stephen Hawking has several theories. He also probably has evidence too.
Showing 976-990 of 4668