ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1390311
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

It's not even a theory. At best we could call it a hypothesis if we wanted to push it. Mostly I would say it's just speculation.

It's just as much of a "theory" as the big bang. There is no proof for it, it's all just speculation
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

It's just as much of a "theory" as the big bang. There is no proof for it, it's all just speculation

There is a [url=http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/images/ace/AC72119.jpg]tone of proof for the big bang[/url]. You just have wishful thinking. Even just a quick stroll over Wikipedia would be enough to see that. (Who wants to bet he isn't going to read it if I didn't post this 'who wants to bet' thing?)
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

...Wow I messed up on the link. I had a picture for another forum, and somehow I managed to post it in. The link still works, just ignore the text in the [ brackets...

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

No the Big Bang does have supporting evidence.

I'll just stick with the general basics given here for now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Observational_evidence
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

All the link says is that the universe is expanding. That's some circumstantial supporting evidence that can go either way in this debate. I just find it logically impossible that everything was created by accident.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

All the link says is that the universe is expanding.

Try scrolling down to see more next time...

That's some circumstantial supporting evidence that can go either way in this debate.

How could that benefit your side?

just find it logically impossible that everything was created by accident.

It wasn't an "Accident", it is governed by a set of laws that make it act predictably in any situation, which is far more likely than a sky faerie doing it all.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

All the link says is that the universe is expanding.

You might want to take another look because that's not all it's saying.

I just find it logically impossible that everything was created by accident.

I'm not aware of any scientist making this claim.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Again, you keep talking about science. Science and religion don't mix. You can't argue apples with oranges. And for your set of laws, who put them in place? why were they made the way they were? and how in the heck are they so perfect that we are a specific, perfect distance away from the Sun, with an ideal orbit pattern, and everything is tailor- made to support life. Speaking of life, how can you submit that some random crap organized it self and replicated over and over again to make such complex life forms? yeah. Science does a hell of a job explaining everything

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

You can't argue apples with oranges

You can't mix them, but when you have an apple on the desk, right in front of you, and then someone starts talking about some sort of fruit that no one can show you, but they have pictures of it, but no one has ever shown you that actual fruit, and people constantly talk about having that fruit, it makes you wonder exactly where that spoken of fruit is...

and how in the heck are they so perfect that we are a specific, perfect distance away from the Sun, with an ideal orbit pattern, and everything is tailor- made to support life

Because life wouldn't have happened in the first place. There are TRILLIIONS OF BILLIONS of planets that do NOT have the right conditions. We just happened to be one of a billion out of an unimaginably large pot of failures. It's not "tailor made" either, life ADAPTED to live here.

Speaking of life, how can you submit that some random crap organized it self and replicated over and over again to make such complex life forms? yeah. Science does a hell of a job explaining everything

Go take a Biology class. Seriously, learn what you're even talking about before you start blindly supporting a side.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Again, you keep talking about science. Science and religion don't mix

Because science is true, religion is a lie. Science is what happened, religion is what you want to have happened.

And for your set of laws, who put them in place?

No one has to put them in place, why would someone need to? "Humm. Proposition 100000000000000000082. This law, if passed, will force every body toward each other in a system that will be known as "gravity". All apposed?" Doesn't happen.

and how in the heck are they so perfect that we are a specific, perfect distance away from the Sun, with an ideal orbit pattern, and everything is tailor- made to support life.

You and I have a far different idea of "Ideal", an ideal orbital pattern would have summer all year long, which would be far better for crops and such. We could stand to be closer or father, it isn't ideal. And you do realize that there are billions of planets surrounding billions of stars, or easily more, and you think we are special because we managed to support life?

Speaking of life, how can you submit that some random crap organized it self and replicated over and over again to make such complex life forms? yeah. Science does a hell of a job explaining everything

Look! HOLY CRAP! The god of making holes in the ground must have made this hole, how else could this puddle fit in this EXACT SHAPE? So all hail the GOMH, and his puddle making powers!

Yes, science has explained all this, but every time we attempt to explain this to you you just put your fingers in your ears and yell "NADANADANADA I AM NOT LISTENING!" or half skimming over the links we provided.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I'll take something that's logically sound over shaky theories any day, thank you. And as far as biology, that's amazingly biased. In fact, everything you all are saying is biased. I'm not coming at you with facts, I have logic. Logic is unbiased

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

And as far as biology, that's amazingly biased.

*Epic facepalm* You have no clue what you're even talking about, do you? How is it biased? One, it's an OBSERVATION. I cannot bias my observation that an orange is orange.

I'm not coming at you with facts, I have logic.

No, you're coming at us with absolutely no clue what you're even talking about.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I'll take something that's logically sound over shaky theories any day, thank you

Logical and sound: The GOMH made that hole to fit the puddle perfectly.

Shaky theory: Water fallows a specific pattern, every time it is put into a container it takes the containers shape. So when the water filled up the hole, it took on the shape of the hole.

nd as far as biology, that's amazingly biased

...HHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

In fact, everything you all are saying is biased.

How so? This is what the objective evidence says, you seem to be the biased one coming in with ideas you where raised with...

I'm not coming at you with facts, I have logic. Logic is unbiased

Actually, you are coming at us with a pool noodle, while we are spearing you with logic.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

I'm not coming at you with facts, I have logic.

The problem is that sound logic requires truth, which to the best of human knowledge is requires fact.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

How so? This is what the objective evidence says, you seem to be the biased one coming in with ideas you where raised with.

I was actually born atheist. I converted three years ago. I can come at you with supporting science for Christianity, but guess what you would do, you all would call it biased. You're taking theories and hypothesis that have not yet been proven as truth, but I'm the idiot for doing the same thing because I believe in God. Wake up and smell the coffee. You're all being hypocrites, and you're all being so closed minded that anytime I say anything to any of you, you shoot it down as biased or unreliable. There is no point in debating anymore, because all you're doing is being a hypocrite. Your ***** are too big for your pants. When you want to have a real debate, then come and let me know. Or if you have questions, also let me know. Otherwise, all you're doing is you're set out to destroy Christianity and my beliefs only because they are different from yours. Yet I'm the one who's being a hypocrite and can't argue. You all truly have no idea what you are talking about.
Showing 1306-1320 of 4668