ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1396456
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Why can't we all just get along, sit down with a nice cup of tea, and just relax. There is no reason to prove everyone else wrong. The whole religion debate is really a pointless argument. Atheists, you're not going to shake a Christian's faith and Christians, you're not going to shake an Atheists faith. Relax.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

What faith? What are atheists putting faith in? The non-existence of God/s? That's like putting faith in the non-existence of demons that live in your attic. The only unifying thing that binds atheists together is the non-belief in deities - the rest is up to them.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

What faith? What are atheists putting faith in? The non-existence of God/s? That's like putting faith in the non-existence of demons that live in your attic. The only unifying thing that binds atheists together is the non-belief in deities - the rest is up to them.

That, and thepyro222 started this entire debate in the first place, I'm certain he had not read my post and that in itself is insulting.

Why would you start a Christianity thread on these forums expecting none of us to interfere?

- H
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Whether it is the existence of God(s) or the absence of, there is still faith. Nothing can be proven either way by facts. It is still faith, just faith in the absence of a divine presence.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,260 posts
Regent

Heh.. no one dared to comment my little experience? And now it's more then ten pages ago.. holy crap, you've been active since then.
But know that as long as I don't get any sort of sign or answer, I can consider this 100% personal evidence for god's non-existence.

RAmen

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Whether it is the existence of God(s) or the absence of, there is still faith. Nothing can be proven either way by facts. It is still faith, just faith in the absence of a divine presence.

I trust my side, and using that terminology... yes, I have faith that mine is logical and hopefully right. It's a sketchy word to use, which is why I'd rather use "trust" where it is much more difficult to get confused with.

Heh.. no one dared to comment my little experience? And now it's more then ten pages ago.. holy crap, you've been active since then.
But know that as long as I don't get any sort of sign or answer, I can consider this 100% personal evidence for god's non-existence.

It would be nice if you C&P'd it, HahiHa

- H
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,260 posts
Regent

It would be nice if you C&P'd it, HahiHa

It's on page 186 if you want to read the original. But basically I was saying that after discussing with christians, I got convinced to at least try once to call upon god/jesus, and do it honestly. You know, basically doing what is written in the bible:
Luke 11 And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Luke 11 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.

I did so, and may I say I really did it seriously. And I'm still waiting for anything. My point was, since god is supposed to be omniscient and all-loving, he should know how skeptic I can be and how to give me a clear sign, and also he should want to give me the opportunity to believe. Since that didn't happen, either he doesn't know me very well, or he doesn't want me to believe. In both cases, he can't really exist.
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

Rephrase what you said, HahiHa, The "Awesome Atheist", because I can't find anything you said that can prove me wrong.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

You want me to?
I found videos of it happening. It first off bothered me that the video stops as the communion wafer goes in her mouth and starts back up with the altered flesh in her mouth. This happens both times. We don't see anyone ever check her mouth first. I can't say much on that, however I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of sleight of hand here.

Not the video i'm talking about, it didn't happen in the Vatican, it happened in Asia believe, but when i first posted the comment about it i said my Dad knows it & i'm going to see him in Indonesia on thursday so i'll try get the name there :]. I watched it about 5 years ago mind.
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

But also, if you read in the bible, there was a story of Satan coming to Jesus on a hilltop, and he said,(these are not his exact words, just paraphrased) "If you are the Son of man, jump off and save yourself."
And he didn't do it. He's not going to come to you after you make a 10 second prayer and expect marvelous things to happen. You have to truly believe in him, and what he's saying will come true. You just need patience

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

You just need patience

They're arguing that there is no evidence which is understandable.
The story, which we've been brought up with the meaning behind it - to others it is viewed as a story in a 2000 year old book, and it's understandable to for them to question it.
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

Of course it is. Its complicated. It's human nature. So if the question it, I answer it. What's your point?

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

You may have been brought up with the meaning but what about the evidence or proof? There probably isn't any and you guys seem to avoid that topic.

Rephrase what you said, HahiHa, The "Awesome Atheist", because I can't find anything you said that can prove me wrong.

What exactly have you proved?
That is my point - none of you have referenced where I've said there is no proof, and thus far it becomes increasingly more apparent that there probably isn't any.

- H
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

You may have been brought up with the meaning but what about the evidence or proof? There probably isn't any and you guys seem to avoid that topic.

How have i in any way avoided it?
I have admitted the whole way through that all religion has is blind faith and the faith system is flawed, but it's one we accept. I've also stated that i don't mind people thinking we're naive for that as it's a personal choice that doesn't affect you in the slightest. And i've also stated that if science proves to be right i'll be the first to admit i was wrong.

Maybe you should read what people post :].
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

All I can say to any religion is that ignorance is bliss. If you see facts and deny them I don't want to hear your terrible reasoning and your trust in this faith is all the evidence you need.

Showing 1981-1995 of 4668