ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1393936
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

Because that's just how our religon was set up. we're not jewish. in our religon only the good parts of the bible are taught and it's only the good parts we belive in. there's no need for all the bad parts but it's there anyway. what would you like us to do? remove the parts that are bad? if they're ignored then i see no problem with ignoring them. Because we can't take them out. Lots of people would complain about the bible looking smaller.

That isn't really an answer. Do you think that the "bad parts" aren't true? If they are still true: Why don't you follow them? If they aren't true: How do you know which parts are true?

Like 314d1 said, Jesus didn't tell not to obey the old laws. "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Okay, to Grimml. i'm sorry let me answer your question. No. we don't belive in the bad parts and at both mass and the classes are told what we should belive in.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

No. we don't belive in the bad parts and at both mass and the classes are told what we should belive in.

Why don't you believe in the bad parts? And how do other people decide why some parts are true and why some aren't? You don't need to give me an answer, I just want you to think about it!
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

No. we don't belive in the bad parts and at both mass and the classes are told what we should belive in.

So you believe in mass and classes over what Jesus himself is said to have said?

Yes. he didn't come to destroy. you should still keep the ten commandments in mind and also listen to his new teachings

Actually still keeping the some 614 commandments mage mentioned. Unless you see the words "Ten commandments" Somewhere in there.

Or are you claiming more wisdom then the scribes of something or other, according to Jesus, that is a ticket to hell, or at least not heaven.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I can't read cover to cover. i don't have the patience to read the dozens of chapters off how moses's ark looked like. i do plan to one day though. But i have read plenty of icky parts on slavery, war, death and more. The fact is it's there. wheather you want it to be or not. i also don't like how that people die. But do i say life is terrible because there is death and other bad things? no. then why should I call a good book bad because it has some bad parts. i don't like those parts and in my religon it's something we don't like either.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes. he didn't come to destroy. you should still keep the ten commandments in mind and also listen to his new teachings.

Yes, but according to Jesus your also suppose to keep the other 603 as well.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

To 314d1.

Christianity. Jeudaism. Two compleatly different religons.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

You both share the same holy book, the same history and the same God - that's why they, alongside Islam, are collectively called the Abrahamic religions.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I can't read cover to cover. i don't have the patience to read the dozens of chapters off how moses's ark looked like. i do plan to one day though.

If I thought I had a book written with direct influence from a perfect being who created the universe I would read that thing threw until I had it memorized.

The major difference between the two is Judaism doesn't accept the New testament and are still waiting for the messiah to show up. As far as the OT goes your following the same book.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

All this reminds me of a quote on my profile.

"To most Christians, the Bible is like a software license. Nobody reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree"." -unknown

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Yes mage. that major difference is very important because us beliving that jesus is our savior is what makes christianity CHRISTianity. Besides the old testament is not nearly as important to christians as the new one is. And when i say the new testament i mean specificly the life of jesus. a loving person and guide to rightousness. Every christian should know that the old testament is like a book of stories. And if you read the 613 commandments many are specified towards Jeuadism.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Every christian should know that the old testament is like a book of stories.

A book of stories you apparently get to arbitrarily pick and choose as to what is and is not real.

And if you read the 613 commandments many are specified towards Jeuadism.

They are suppose to apply to Christians just the same. As shown Jesus wasn't there to have any of them removed.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

So would you rather have people belive slavery, killing, and racism are ok? I think they choice was a good thing and the choice is part of our religon.

They are suppose to apply to Christians just the same. As shown Jesus wasn't there to have any of them removed

Does jesus need to come down and state it exactly for everyone to hear? i think it was understood that he was changing, not destroying some rules. It should have been understood when he said to treat everyone as your equal.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So would you rather have people belive slavery, killing, and racism are ok? I think they choice was a good thing and the choice is part of our religon.

No that's not what I'm saying. As I said earlier it doesn't seem your getting your morality from the Bible, just picking and choosing what you already agree with.

Does jesus need to come down and state it exactly for everyone to hear? i think it was understood that he was changing, not destroying some rules.

Even changing them would seem to go against his statements if it involved removing aspects of the old.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

How do you know the Abrahamic God is the right God and it's not some other god?
If God can not be tested then there is no way of distinguishing God from fantasy. This is why we work from facts not opinion, so we can distinguish the difference. So what can be factually shown that God's existence is correct?
If God is beyond comprehension then what is there to believe? How can you believe something you can't even understand?

Showing 916-930 of 4668