ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1394003
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

well i don't see anything wrong with beliving in God. i don't hurt people for it. and in fact it's taught me to love and respect people more. And i like it.

You can have your personal belief all you want. It's when it goes past that it becomes an issue. Though I doubt it taught you the things you claim given the Bible has to be heavily cheer picked to just get all positive things. I find it more likely you just looked at these good parts that you then agreed with. Meaning you didn't get these positives from the Bible, but already regarded those points as positives.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

AGH! that's not the majority 314d1. if it was most people today would be dead. Second, i'm fine with homosexuals, abortions, seperation of church and state and the first admendment. Find anywhere in the ten commandments where it says these things are wrong.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Find anywhere in the ten commandments where it says these things are wrong.

There are more then just the ten commandments. In total there are actually 613 commandments.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

Nice guys ah?

i know very few people that say those things... and I've never known a terrorist. ...and I live in south Mississippi where we're stereotyped as exactly how you've suggested w/ those quotes. I go to a "Christian" college and every year a group of homosexual people (Soul Force) claiming to be Christian stand on the sidewalks boycotting the stereotypical hatred that comes w/ the perception of the baptist faith. ...and each year tons of people go out to eat with them and talk about religious related things and say nice things about them... and take up for them. Your quotes have done nothing to prove your position w/ regard to saying that the majority are not nice people. I would go as far as to say that there are crazily zealous people for every political position. He said the majority of people are nice... and all I've seen you address are what I see as being stated by a very select few minority of the religious population.

that being said... the minority are not nice guys ah
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

There are more then just the ten commandments. In total there are actually 613 commandments.

Like Mage said, you are cherry picking. You want to follow the ten commandements but not the others. Why don't you follow the commandments that tell you to kill homosexuals (read for example Leviticus)?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Isn't that jewish? i'm sorry i didn't know there were 613 because in christianity they only taught 10. interesting though, i should look through a few of them sometime.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

AGH! that's not the majority 314d1. if it was most people today would be dead.

Who cares if it a majority? That is like saying Nazi Germany was OK because the actual bigots where the minority. Two party members lead a hundred unaffiliated.

Second, i'm fine with homosexuals, abortions, seperation of church and state and the first admendment

So why do you want me to stay silent?

See what mage said.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Isn't that jewish? i'm sorry i didn't know there were 613 because in christianity they only taught 10. interesting though, i should look through a few of them sometime.

The Jewish Torah is the Christian Old Testament. The ten commandments are in the Torah.

So wait, you have never actually read the Bible?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

WOW. i read some of the jewish 613 and i now know that it is very speicific. WOW. well i can see why people would get the wrong idea, but what i've been taught in my religous class. You should see the christian 10 commandments if you haven't already and don't take the sabbath day one too seriously. the jewish took it very seriously and jesus told them not to.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

[quote]So why do you want me to stay silent?[quote]

you don't have to stay quiet. i want you to be able to express your ideas.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

WOW. i read some of the jewish 613 and i now know that it is very speicific. WOW. well i can see why people would get the wrong idea, but what i've been taught in my religous class. You should see the christian 10 commandments if you haven't already and don't take the sabbath day one too seriously. the jewish took it very seriously and jesus told them not to.

Why is it the "Christian 10 commandments"? I'll ask you again: why don't you follow the other commandments? I mean, it's in the old testament, so it's a part of your bible.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Why don't you follow the commandments that tell you to kill homosexuals (read for example Leviticus)?

Because Christians (like myself) have been set free from following the Mosaic law as Jesus' death on the Cross fullilled the law, and then superseded it. This was represented by the tearing of the Curtain in the Temple. Scripture also demonstrates this:

(John 1, v17)For the law was given by Moses but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

(Romans 3, v19-20)Now we know that what things soever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped , and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law no person be justified in his sight for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

(Galatians 2, v16)Knowing this that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law, for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Summarized from: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_the_Mosaic_law_still_apply
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Because that's just how our religon was set up. we're not jewish. in our religon only the good parts of the bible are taught and it's only the good parts we belive in. there's no need for all the bad parts but it's there anyway. what would you like us to do? remove the parts that are bad? if they're ignored then i see no problem with ignoring them. Because we can't take them out. Lots of people would complain about the bible looking smaller.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Because Christians (like myself) have been set free from following the Mosaic law as Jesus' death on the Cross fullilled the law, and then superseded it.

Not according to Jesus himself:

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

So you think you know better than the scribes of the old testament? Then you are not going to heaven.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Yes. he didn't come to destroy. you should still keep the ten commandments in mind and also listen to his new teachings. Please keep in mind it was also jesus who question his jewish teachings and wouldn't hit someone back if they hit him first. And. that christianity is different from jeudaism.

Showing 901-915 of 4668