ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1393947
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Magic Tricks: Card Forcing : Prediction in an Envelope Card Magic Trick
Aha, these are based on maths, I have read some of the tricks like this. You have a prepared stack of cards 52 tall, and have a card in your back, then you make some shufflings with the hands of an assistant, that force 39th (or 37th IIRC) card to be on top or bottom. Voila. You can't do the same with any sensible wording, as there are too many of them. And if the wording will literally get fulfilled, isn't it a propecy made true?
Remembers me of the first part of the Prophecy of the Popes, whose mottos were accurate because they had always been done afterwards.
Wow, I have heard someone said there will be 112 popes from some name, but I didn't know about this link. Yes, if that would be written afterwards, it's normal to comply with what happened, but if something was written prior to an event, and something like 1938 aurora (I still believe it's not entirely mundane, though won't force the matter) being extremely unusual, with the following Anschluss as the srart of war mentioned in the prophecy? Ain't it war, destroying an independent state? And, Sister Lucia spoke about this being the omen prior to Hitler devising plans to wreck Europe.
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

Taking 25.01.1938 alone, yes indeed, taking Fatima's prediction, there's a link which God made that. Basically prophecies are to be read in conjunction with any events that are around. There are reports that the 2nd secret (which regarded 1938 aurora) was told by Laura to her confessor, and written down and sealed away to not get revealed prior to the time. Such secrets are normally kept sealed without any interference. It's like with Amsterdam 1945-1957, some info was sealed and then revealed to public.

Yes, obviously ignoring the possibility that it was made up and then released to everyone.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Let's take a look at the part of the prophecy that supposedly speaks of this aurora.

"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace. The war is going to end: but if people do not cease offending God, a worse one will break out during the Pontificate of Pius XI. When you see a night illumined by an unknown light, know that this is the great sign given you by God that he is about to punish the world for its crimes, by means of war, famine, and persecutions of the Church and of the Holy Father."

First off this look extremely vague to me. it doesn't give any dates as to when this light is suppose to show up. Also we know what illuminated the sky that night. Now this prophecy get's sealed for nearly a decade until some event that could be interpreted to fit it happens and it get's shown to mean something? I call bull.
Another things I see here if we are to consider this prophecy as legit, it would mean God is responsible for World War II given that was the event this prophecy was related to.

I guess if we are to relate the events of this prophecy to WWII and take it with any seriousness, then I guess the Nazi's had it right with what they put on their belt buckles.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/snapshot1.png

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

god was with the Nazis. And the Allies. Basically every theist in a war has god on their side. Or at least thinks they do and since God is all fantasy what people think is what God actually does.

vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Yes, obviously ignoring the possibility that it was made up and then released to everyone.
And taking this as the only truth does no good to the one who does.
First off this look extremely vague to me. it doesn't give any dates as to when this light is suppose to show up. Also we know what illuminated the sky that night.
First, "During the pontificate of Pius XI" is enough of a date setting. Second, you think you know, you haven't provided the complete scientific explanation of the lighting on 25.01.1938, though this being an aurora is a good one. And I would also like to remind you of Jn 7:27 and follows, just in case.
Basically every theist in a war has god on their side. Or at least thinks they do
Indeed many think that if there will be a war, God will be on our side. And those who wage war directly think the same indeed. Unfortunately for them, God remains with those who lose their home and brethren due to that war, because they are the ones who need consolation and mercy. You said this right, but only this.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

First, "During the pontificate of Pius XI" is enough of a date setting.

Which it then fails at if WWII is the one this prophecy is suppose to be talking about. Pius died in February of 1939 and the war didn't start until September of 1939. Was this guy serving his term as Pope for about 7 months after he died?

you think you know, you haven't provided the complete scientific explanation of the lighting on 25.01.1938, though this being an aurora is a good one.

How so? We have evidence of all the conditions for an aurora on that date, despite your attempt to deny this. How is this not a valid scientific explanation? Or are you trying to weasel through some bs of "well it's not 100% proven" argument? Which ignores the fact that's not how science works.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Pius died in February of 1939 and the war didn't start until September of 1939.
Eliminating Austria as state isn't an action of peace, it was forced, read above (~4 pages upwards, I posted this).
How is this not a valid scientific explanation?
I said complete, not "valid". I accepted this as a valid explanation, but pointed out that the limits of the event are beyond what naturally happened, even in 1709. I did that just because I don't have enough information of possible ranges of aurora borealis. So an explanation is valid, but incomplete. Also you have only suggested that there was a coronal mass ejection, not confirmed its existence.
Or are you trying to weasel through some bs of "well it's not 100% proven" argument?
You do this all the time, why should I not treat you with your own medicine?
DBLACKSTAR
DBLACKSTAR
23,530 posts
Nomad

There are know knowns and there are known unkowns, but there are also unkown unkowns things we don't know we don't know. Just cause you don't have evidence that something does exist does not mean that you have evidence that something does not exist. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

DBLACKSTAR
DBLACKSTAR
23,530 posts
Nomad

Sorry for spamming but that is just a quote that, I don't quite remember were I got it from, but I lost a bet recently and I must use it as frequently as possible when it involves a religious debate.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

You do this all the time, why should I not treat you with your own medicine?

Let me know when your ready to actually hold a discussion.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

There are know knowns and there are known unkowns, but there are also unkown unkowns things we don't know we don't know. Just cause you don't have evidence that something does exist does not mean that you have evidence that something does not exist. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
the trick is, there are some evidences of absense and some evidences of presence, and given this, both sides cling to their beliefs wavering each one's banner, me using evidence of presence, them using evidence of absence. I'm trying to find out some aspects in their evidence that are unknown to them, which can be explained with God, they are... they were trying to do the same, currently I haven't received anything but "you can't prove a negative" out of most. MRWalker left for some reason, maybe because we started a private dialogue, MGW started to ignore anything but hairpins in the cushion (but he did back me somewhat with 25.01.1938 with enough eivdence, which is good!), qwerty1011 required cast-iron proof and nothing else, so for me that debate died out by a good margin (since there is indeed no cast-iron proof of God existing, there's only evidence and reasons why there should be no such proof), E1337 didn't reply to my last constructive answer but instead replied to my hairpin, several other do some arguments but otherwise don't speak about Christianity much, wolf1991 left, and Einfach left this debate after a mutual agreement on that God can't be logically proven or disproven (I count this a win of both sides, since this leads to more concrete questions like explaining miracles from science POV).
Let me know when your ready to actually hold a discussion.
Do you mind replying to the consructive part of my post?
I am still amazed at mental gymanstics you are pulling to uphold this belief rather then consider you might be wrong due to the evidence.
Well, at least with 1938 event I am taken aback and accepted the aurora as a valid (probable, that is) explanation, though some details are yet uncertain. But with God existing - I don't think any scientific evidence will throw me off this belief, because science is worldly, thus can only prove or disprove anything in the mundane plane (Big Bang included, evolution included, natural phenomena included, but science can't prove or disprove God as He is above mundane).
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Do you mind replying to the consructive part of my post?

I'm not sure you had anything constructive.

I don't think any scientific evidence will throw me off this belief, because science is worldly, thus can only prove or disprove anything in the mundane plane (Big Bang included, evolution included, natural phenomena included, but science can't prove or disprove God as He is above mundane).

Then what's there to discuss?
DBLACKSTAR
DBLACKSTAR
23,530 posts
Nomad

Nothing really, all you can do is try to drag god down to the mundane then have at it.

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

qwerty1011 required cast-iron proof and nothing else, so for me that debate died out by a good margin (since there is indeed no cast-iron proof of God existing, there's only evidence and reasons why there should be no such proof)

Yes, and the fact you have never mentioned these reasons is nothing to do with it.

I don't think any scientific evidence will throw me off this belief, because science is worldly, thus can only prove or disprove anything in the mundane plane (Big Bang included, evolution included, natural phenomena included, but science can't prove or disprove God as He is above mundane).

But as there is no reason for that to exist and his existence is impossible anyway. You NEED evidence at least if not proof for this to be accepted as a viable theory. Or else you are just speculating that there is a god who can easily prove his existence but for no reason whatsoever doesn't want to.
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

You can't prove a negative. You can't prove that something doesn't exist but that doesn't mean it exists. You needs at least a bit of evidence and vespers so called 2 "miracles" and enough
Showing 1411-1425 of 4668