ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1396740
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Self-pride is one of the seven deadly sins, for the first thing.

What makes it bad?

(If response something makes it bad, then that would imply that it would be wrong whether God existed or not, and defy a Christian understanding of morality. If response "nothing makes it bad", then how is it wrong at all?)
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It seemed to me like they were saying you shouldn't express you're religon in public. The woman was simply praying and she was told she shouldn't have been. But of course just like an atheist can state their lack of belife a christian should be able to state their lack of belife.

You can state your belief as a belief, though it would still be unfounded. Though when you claim that your belief is fact it becomes an issue. In the latter your claim becomes invalid without evidence.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Guys I know this a little bit off topic but I think I might be a creationist again. I found a video the fact it presents are ridiculous and the speaker has legitimate qualifications.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

Samy that video was a win if I've ever saw one.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

So you agree too? I mean everything he said makes perfect since. Brilliant.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

So you agree too? I mean everything he said makes perfect since. Brilliant.

Although I don't understand how the contents of a banana can squirt in your face...
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Although I don't understand how the contents of a banana can squirt in your face...

Neither did your mom, she does now though.

;D
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

Neither did your mom, she does now though.

What did I tell you about eating bananas with my mom >:O
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

What did I tell you about eating bananas with my mom >:O

But she had so many, you now how I am in the mornings; always running late. A banana is the only thing I have time to eat.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Lol. Even though it proves nothing, it was amusing
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I like peanut butter with my bananas.

vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

What makes it bad?

(If response something makes it bad, then that would imply that it would be wrong whether God existed or not, and defy a Christian understanding of morality. If response "nothing makes it bad", then how is it wrong at all?)
Okay, God makes it bad because all we have initially comes from God, and we should not forget Him as the source of us and the universe. So both implications fail.
But what you claim is God's way and you say you can't understand gods way.
I repeat, if God has revealed some part of His ways, this can be shared. If not, then whatever a human claims as God's ways is blasphemy. I am citing Isaiah for this, and he was a prophet.
But everyone feels proud at one point at least. It's not a bad thing. It's natural
So what? Having sex with any female one has in reach is also "natural" but is a sin of fornication. After all we are not animals to follow only instincts.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Okay, God makes it bad because all we have initially comes from God, and we should not forget Him as the source of us and the universe. So both implications fail.

If this was the case then it would be so instinctively.

I repeat, if God has revealed some part of His ways, this can be shared. If not, then whatever a human claims as God's ways is blasphemy. I am citing Isaiah for this, and he was a prophet.

But really all you have is what humans are claiming to be God's way.

So what? Having sex with any female one has in reach is also "natural" but is a sin of fornication. After all we are not animals to follow only instincts.

If no one is being emotionally or physically harmed in the process that's again a big so 'friggin' what.
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

But pride is uncontrollable. Having sex with is a controllable urge. There is a difference.

So being a random guy who spout gibberish makes you right. There are Hindu and Sikh prophets so I take it they are right too. And you could just be making this up. Your who idea is based on your idea. If you don't have something to back it up on it just collapses in on itself. And a few miracles which may or may not be miraculous again are not proof.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

That's a pretty cool story.

Christianity says God made the Earth then the sun

That's the Bible that says that. The Bible was written by people, not God, so some small details like that may be inaccurate. Also, I personally do not believe that God created earth in 7 days just because I'm a Christian. I believe that He formed everything over time and 7 days is a metaphor. If a person takes everything in the Bible literally, they would be known as a fundamentalist. Religious fundamentalists are commonly known as terrorists, of which I am not. So when people try to disprove God using "evidence" from inconsistencies found in the Bible, I just get a little annoyed.
Showing 1441-1455 of 4668