ForumsNews and FeedbackMy (Krizaz) review of AG3.0

29 8371
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Very recently (yesterday) I got into the BETA (Yay me!) and it's actually pretty cool. It seems a bit like FaceBook but is more user friendly once you start using it, and is actually much better than I anticipated. Like before, AG has done a great job from going from it's older site and switching to a new one. Lets take a look at the old Armor Games.

Games of Gondor: 2004
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at83300PM.png

Look at that, AG used to be one of those stupid sites that just takes free games from other sites.

ArmorGames1.0: 2005
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at83140PM.png

After Games of Gondor was reportedly sued by some little guy known as Peter Jackson and LOtR people, they had to change the name. It looks about the same, but with a few new things.

ArmorGames2.0: 2008
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at82740PM.png

AG went under another huge change in 2008 with the launch of AG2.0. Including members and a much easier layout, making AG a real contender in the Flash Game department.

ArmorGames3.0: 2011
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at83929PM.png

This probably has to be the biggest change, it is a lot like AG 2.0, there's games, a profile, a community (current on this thing called 'Get Satisfied, really hope it moves), but there are so many different things. For instance... There's a live ticker that tracks your gaming history, an inbox, and hopefully a post editor.

What I like

My favorite part of AG is in fact that there are no AP (Armor Points), all they do is cause a squabble among new users and become boasting rights among some. It's not like I have no AP and don't want anybody to have AP, (I'm in the top 500), but it will boost the importance of the forum. Instead of people doing a bunch of point spams, well have people in the forums, hope fully they don't spam, but I think it will help.

Another thing I like about this is the feel, the game interface is much nicer, more of a pop out window and the whole ratings thing is not at the bottom of the game, it is much more spread out and nicer in my opinion. I also really like the fact that I can see who 'friended' m, which shows up as followers.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at90149PM.png

What I don't like

The constant stream of information on your page can get annoying. Freakenstien had a great idea of making on part of this stream as a status update and friend update part, and another as a gaming tracker.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at90446PM.png

Another thing I don't really like, but also like at the same time is that it does feel a bit like FB. You have your friends, followers, and followed. I'm not complaining too much, but you can see the resemblance. I have one more complaint... When I first got on it was very difficult to find my way around. I had to sign into the forums with my FaceBook, and the AG site wants me to sign into FB.

This is what the forums look like right now. I don't like them, but you can see that the real site has a Forum button that doesn't work.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at90928PM.png

I like the site, obviously there can be some changes, and your feedback is welcome.

• 29 Replies
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

This is a really great review Krizaz! Nice work!

Did they actually get sued by Peter Jackson? =P

It is quite amazing to see the difference between all the different versions of the site.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Krizaz, there's a problem with your last explanation and picture. Those aren't what the forums look like.
That's Get Satisfaction, you put questions, ideas, problems and praise on that site. It's for feedback for the AG Administrators to see quickly.

Besides that flaw, you did good.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

When I first got on it was very difficult to find my way around. I had to sign into the forums with my FaceBook, and the AG site wants me to sign into FB.

We never require you to use alternate details. We provide those as a means for easier logins, but you can always just choose your AG2 username/password when you login.

And as GhostOfMatrix said, the GetSatisfaction site is our feedback site. There are no forums on AG3 yet.

Did they actually get sued by Peter Jackson?

No, we were given a cease-and-desist letter from J.R. Tolkein's estate for using the 'Gondor' name. Peter Jackson had nothing to do with it.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

My favorite part of AG is in fact that there are no AP (Armor Points)

There are Armor Points in AG3, but they are for gaming stuff rather than community involvement.
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

There are Armor Points in AG3, but they are for gaming stuff rather than community involvement.

Then... Where are they? There are achievements, if thats what you mean.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Then... Where are they? There are achievements, if thats what you mean.

Correct, but those achievements are worth AP, or did you substitute them for "gaming stuff?"
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

If you re-read the sticky about AP in AG3, you'll see that we'll award AP for things like submitting a high score, creating a "game share" (like a new castle on Crush The Castle), maybe by getting a certain number of plays/likes on the game share, things of that nature.

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Correct, but those achievements are worth AP, or did you substitute them for "gaming stuff?"

Ok,but it seems as if the AP is not actually viewable, I'm fine with that. The achievements will probably be for everything... Posts, Gaming, Friends.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Ok,but it seems as if the AP is not actually viewable, I'm fine with that. The achievements will probably be for everything... Posts, Gaming, Friends.

I'm not on AG3 Beta, so I don't know about that. It might be fixed in the 12th release.
vansun
vansun
24 posts
Nomad

well this fun a fun meet

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

well this fun a fun meet

Um... Explain?

If you re-read the sticky about AP in AG3, you'll see that we'll award AP for things like submitting a high score, creating a "game share" (like a new castle on Crush The Castle), maybe by getting a certain number of plays/likes on the game share, things of that nature.

Thanks, but is there a place we can view AP once the big site is up?
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

That was a nice little overview of the site history. I always thought a link to something like that at the top of the site would have been nice.

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

I always thought a link to something like that at the top of the site would have been nice.

If I put a link up all it would take you to is the Beta sign in screen, which won't let you in, just makes you a possible beta tester. Or do you mean the profile? If so I also enjoy that.
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

AG3, looks really good. Keep up the good work AG!

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

i have the invititation but its not worth using yet in my opioion its got to many bugs and glitches right now id rather just wait for release when its good and ready instead of getting a early release thats clunky at best

Showing 1-15 of 29