ForumsGames[Main Thread] CoD? Put it here!

3990 804611
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Apparently the effort of cleaning up the forums has been biased, so the CoD group get their own thread for discussing as well.
Enjoy.

• 3,990 Replies
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

and now we enter the realm of name-calling... FANTASTIC. =_=*

Fail :<

just a common style to a fraction of the populace... though Mistah H. has been doing it far longer than I...
hey wait, you did the same thing for a post on page 26! I smell hypocrite!

Page 27, and the precise quote is:
I felt as though you insulted me.. I say it had a better story then black ops could have ever achieved. I don't really enjoy FPS on computers cause the controls are clunky. So what i think before me lies a BO fan boy.
-J

Sorry for the correction but some people will undoubtedly check (like me) just to see

Somebody got an email from a mod!

I kind of doubt he did, I've done much worse as I think you've undoubtedly seen Chillz :P

I understand the annoyances, but it's 2am and I'm a nocturnal during summer; what I do with my time is what i do with my time.

Lol :P
Nocturnal during summer? Why? :P

No my friend, you and I are two different shades of purple. Shades of purple, yay, but totally different shades.

Er... what?

I'd like to imagine myself as an Xbox-based all-arounder. While I play nearly every genre on my console, I also partake in the unique experiences (i.e. Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Minecraft) that the PC offers.

Because it's evident I don't really have much to say, I'm going to ask an already answered question for 2 reasons:
1) Refresh my memory
2) Let others know
And the question is why Xbox? :P
NOT trying to make a console war, each have their own traits and whilst I personally favor the PC I can udnerstand why people appreciate and use consoles.

A wise man once said, don't get mad, get even. >8^)

I much prefer:
Quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough
- Bruce Lee

On top of it all, every single dude needs a wingman, every can of peanutbutter needs a knife, every sword needs a shield, and whenever Highfire is barreling down the field of Glory for the future of Games and the spirit of Innovation, you bet your Call of Duty-loving *** I'll be right there next to him.

I absolutely love how I imagined that as an amazing speech by say... Sheppherd from Mass Effect II, it's probably more cliché though - like the SCII speech

It is only suitable that I reference games in relation to that epic speech, :P

And that goes for anybody who's willing to stick it out through the brown and grit to get the Arkham Asylums, the Portals, the Starcrafts, the colorful experiences of Games that push the medium into the artform that we strive for every day.

I think I'll bring you to Totalbiscuits channel. He has very similiar views and he is a great person to look at for daily videos. He also does SCII casts which got me to get the game and is British which... I love :P
I'm actually listening to one of his videos now

And to top it off Chillz, you have a lovely Portal 2 reference :>
This is ChillzMaster. We're done here.

- H
AlphaElephant
AlphaElephant
4 posts
Nomad

I Think MW3 is kinda gonna be bad i mean COD4 WAW best cods ever right and now they have just trying to make copies of waw and cod4 like black ops and mw2 and there just not matching up to how good waw and cod4 were and BF3 is going to be In my The better game

Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

[quote] Many people in the world just want a quick fast paced game which they can come to and relax. (Sort of...)

It's damaging to the game industry[/quote]

It's not their fault that Call of Duty is such an addictive game which draws in many people for the features it has.
If the gaming industry wants to grow, expand on what makes CoD such a success.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

It's not their fault that Call of Duty is such an addictive game which draws in many people for the features it has.

Yes... it is. It inspires nothing but laziness and a lack of quality in games - that's how it damages the game industry.
Oh, and that was apparent in Homefront.

If the gaming industry wants to grow, expand on what makes CoD such a success.

Okay, I will link this video about Homefront for good measure, and then this Crysis 2 video - for good measure. Both the opinions of a single man and will help elaborate on my point.

Point is, being able to have lesser skilled people achieve an equal amount is RETARDED, and defeats the point of hardcore / competitive / old-style gaming. Having a system where time equates to how well you do (Hello, World of Warcraft) only lets the highest bidder of time spent GRINDING do the best. Also an idiotic decision.

A game where it is balls-to-the-wall player vs player, 100% fair and entirely based on skill / strategy is what makes a game competitively awesome. Starcraft II - 3 races, amazingly balanced if you ask me, and no outside-the-game benefits which can effect you. You can see huge amounts [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDbJafFqajA]of[/url] games between professional players and still, it was entirely fair.

Does that mean I want all my games like that? No. It means I don't want some scrub killing me without good reason.

All videos from YouTube and most of those links are from TWO casters out of MANY. A lot of competition.

- H
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Sorry about the mess up with links btw. :P

- H

Gstroy
Gstroy
482 posts
Nomad

Yes... it is. It inspires nothing but laziness and a lack of quality in games - that's how it damages the game industry.
Oh, and that was apparent in Homefront.
How does it inspire lack of quality? It's well made, granted they should update the engine. And Homefront is an awesome game. The campaign was short but fun and the multiplayer was great, the BP system works very well.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

What exactly is in CoD? You have a few variations of weapons, a couple of scopes, no Dedicated servers sometimes, a few maps that pay for themselves and modifications of player characteristics via perks.

Not really all that indepth.

It is not well made - I just said literally what the CoD game is, and yet it's not balanced, I can't imagine it being that difficult. If it is, make the Assault Rifles more alike - not to the point where it makes no difference and vanity would be your only reason for picking one over another but where it doesn't make the FAMAS easily the better choice over the M16.

Also, about the Homefront Singleplayer.
Did you not see the linked video? :P

It handholds you like a dog on a leash throughout the campaign, attempting to shove all this sympathy of what the Koreans have done down your throat and it's just... Not acceptable - especially given the gameplay. You're able to wield a very powerful sniper and you're, as far as the story is concerned, a simple civilian who is fighting back!

Then that white phospherous..
Though I have to say whilst it was a piss-poor attempt at making out a really saddening moment I like how your team member simply messing up can do so much - usually it's someone messing up and paying with their lives or something, not a simple misclick which kind of screwed the operation and cost the lives of others.

- H

Aax5
Aax5
13 posts
Nomad

Is there even anyone still talking about the actual GAME COD? It seems this thread has grown into a long and pointless debate between a Battlefield player and the COD players.

Seriously guys, choose what game you like, but you don't have to defend your honor on a forum by denouncing competitors.

Gstroy
Gstroy
482 posts
Nomad

What exactly is in CoD? You have a few variations of weapons, a couple of scopes, no Dedicated servers sometimes, a few maps that pay for themselves and modifications of player characteristics via perks.

Not really all that indepth.

It is not well made - I just said literally what the CoD game is, and yet it's not balanced,
No... just no. At least not in Black Ops. In Blops each weapon is completely unique, and there's more than just a "couple of scopes," and with Warlord the customization deepens even more. COD has one thing that puts it in front of the rest... good mp progression, that in itself makes it good.

The thing is, you don't like COD, and that's fine, but when you look at the facts(ie. number of people playing it, money it's brought in, other companies copying it) it is a good game.
As for Homefront... I said it was fun as in... amusing. It was a cool little story that didn't have much depth and it was fun to play through once, but not again.
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

i think tht black ops is an amazing game... they fixed quick scoping and some other problems in the game.. not to mension zombies... thts always fun

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

Welcome to the ring Gstroy!

n Blops each weapon is completely unique
You got your assault rifles, your submachine guns, your pistold, your sniper rifles, and your shotguns. Some shoot faster than others and others do more damage than others in their weapon type. Yes, every gun is unique, but only by a fraction when it comes to comparing guns of a similar kind.

and there's more than just a "couple of scopes,"

Let's see, other than Iron sights and traditional Sniper scope, you've got ACOG, Holographic, Red Dot, and... hm. And don't try to take me down with that reticule customization thing, we're talking about scopes in term of functionality, not looks.

good mp progression, that in itself makes it good.

A totally opinion-based statement. Halo has good MP progression in my book, as does Crysis, Battlefield Bad Company 2, even Transformers: War For Cybertron had good MP progression, coming from my mouth. a word like "good" is a subjective term, and we're looking for objective arguments in this thread, things that are legitimate and will further push the medium of Games as a whole.

but when you look at the facts(ie. number of people playing it, money it's brought in, other companies copying it) it is a good game.
And so my favorite argument to combat this statement comes up - does this make Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, the greatest movie of all time? NO! It's unecessarily campy, I'm starting to thing LaBeof is french for boring, and other than a few explosions, Optimus' death was a bit off in terms of plot development; yet it is held in history as one of the most expensive movies made, one of the most profitable movies made, and one of hte most popular movies made. Does this make it a good movie, in your definition?

Let's look at some reviews from across the internet who have something to say about the most recent entry in the Call of Duty series, Black Ops. (They know what they're talking about, some of these guys have been in the industry ever since BJ was killing Nazis)

IGN.com gave it a 8.5
GameInformer a 9
Xbox360Achievements.org - an 88
The Escapist -

Now we poke an old giant, the old rival to Call of Duty before Battlefield, Halo Reach.

IGN.com gave it a 9.5
Gameinformer - 9.5
Xbox360Achievements.org - 94
And The Escapist, home of the most critical reviewer of all time, Yahtzee Croshaw, home of the "intellectuals" of gaming, hub of the PC gaming Master Race, gave Halo Reach a perfect score.

So according to some of the most respected reviewers of today, an over-the-top sci-fi epic absolutely DESTROYS Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Some other games you wouldn't expect to score higher than Black Ops, Brutal Legend, Fable 2 and 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age Origins (PC version), and Infamous 2.

As for Homefront...

It was a cool little story that didn't have much depth and it was fun to play through once, but not again.

Hm, I smell hypocrisy.

And Homefront is an awesome game. The campaign was short but fun and the multiplayer was great, the BP system works very well.

You go from zealously praising a ridiculously flawed game to saying it was "amusing" and a one-time playthru. Shifting positions shows an unsteady foundation.

Call of Duty to me is more of a tragedy than anything else, it was in its glory days and was able to stand up to Halo 3 back in 2007 (of course still darkened under the shadow of Bioshock) and while the samey-ness was present in WaW, there were zombies to kill and a return to World War 2 in the Pacific and Eastern Front, totally new places rarely visited by WW2 games, oddly enough.

And then Activision completed the construction of its doom fortress.

MW2? BAM! They worked the "kill your own character" concept to such a degree that it was nauseating, the plot left me befuddled (so, WHY did Shepard betray the Brits again? and wouldn't Britain kinda be mad? And how did Russia get that powerful? I thought the US was the most powerful country out there?) and while the new UI and ability to nuke people fooled most, I was more concerned with the samey gunplay, multiplayer system, graphics, aesthetics, weapons, and overall feel of the game. Spec Ops with a friend is cool though, I'll give it that food stamp.

And black ops. See above.

We can only speculate how a game will come out when it's not released yet, but the fact that there has NEVER been a beta for a Call of Duty game, while there has ALWAYS been one for Battlefield games (excluding 1943, but that was a downloadable title) shows the lack of confidence Activision has in its own game. And none of the surprise bull I know you'll give me! It's just multiplayer, and it helps multiplayer people see if they really want to drop 60 dollars on a game or not.

On top of it all, given the past four years of both games and watching the quality curve, we've seen a flatline in Call of Duty's, and a very noticeable spike in Battlefield's.

So, there you have it. Highfire, your partner has arrived, and i brought cupcakes!

-Chillz
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

Pls CoD is just every time the same old ****. Ever since CoD modern warfare there hasn't been a major change in the game, that's why I have stopped playing CoD. And to be honest I think battlefield 3 will be much of the same. Because they already have a great game.

Ghostofelements
Ghostofelements
99 posts
Nomad

Mw2 or black ops? Which game is better in your opinion?

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

It seems this thread has grown into a long and pointless debate between a Battlefield player and the COD players.

I mentioned just a moment on your profile this:
"Yes, I do critique a lot of peoples posts - I'm great with peoples opinion etc but when they say the same thing as the guy before them without giving a reason - especially when there's a good reason going against it in the thread... it's pretty dull."
- Me, on your profile.

Now, let me quote something I also said:
"3) I don't even like FPS anymore, when I played CoD it was a good run and Battlefield was great too but due to different problems with both franchises and my love for RTS I simply say "screw you" to the genre."
- Me, on page 27 of this thread.

I am not a BF player and I stand for my opinion - nothing else. :P

I realize you may be new to the thread but please do not jump to assumptions, often it's best to question it, throw out the possibility that I'm an X and I find Y is the better - you didn't lie and you're just gaining info, why wouldn't I answer?

Seriously guys, choose what game you like, but you don't have to defend your honor on a forum by denouncing competitors.

The way I attempt to debate doesn't denounce competitors - it targets and logically breaks down their arguments and shows why.

Granted, in some points of this thread I've been more aggressive / forward when it came to insulting others, but it's a fair thing to say when someone aggressively attacks your points, especially when it's unreasonably done.

No... just no. At least not in Black Ops. In Blops each weapon is completely unique, and there's more than just a "couple of scopes,"

If you're talking about the sights then I think you misunderstood me - I find the ACOG's very nicely and sufficiently different and as such I'll give you that, but the Red Dot Sight and Reflex Sights with the variations are almost purely vanity if you ask me, one is a crosshair and one is an X - not necessarily a big deal although a nice touch on customization (which is what it's for so it's not a negative).

That, and each weapon being completely unique is silly. I like the idea of having meaningful choice but it's fairly obvious to the large majority of players that FAMAS > most AR's.
Don't have so much of a change between weapons of the same type, Bolt-action / Pump action to semi-automatic is one of the only things I'd like to see MAJORLY changed between weapons.

COD has one thing that puts it in front of the rest... good mp progression, that in itself makes it good.

Crash Site on Crysis 2.
Destructible Terran, Conquest and the Rush mode on Battlefield Bad Company 2 (and soon to be Battlefield 3 I think).
The changing tactics in Starcraft II - before Mass Marine as a Terran worked, then the 4 Warpgate Rush as Protoss was kicking in and killing people - Zerg especially were on the losing side. Since mass amounts of Infestors (example) were so effective as of late they're being implemented in nearly EVERY composition against ANY race as a Zerg and also as of late no tactics have been created to defeat Infestors.

Yes, I went very indepth but THAT is the best example of Multiplayer Progression since it isn't just a match after match basis - it's the whole community.

The thing is, you don't like COD, and that's fine, but when you look at the facts(ie. number of people playing it, money it's brought in, other companies copying it) it is a good game.

We've been through this - that is not the point I'm trying to make. I've said before and I'll say it again - CoD is a massive success on a business standpoint.

Yes, every gun is unique, but only by a fraction when it comes to comparing guns of a similar kind.

Haha, Chillz, we're arguing on two different levels

They're different enough to point out the FAMAS as their favourite weapon, or perhaps another one but do you see the M16 being used by a rank 50?
I doubt it. It's inpractical in the end.

we're talking about scopes in term of functionality, not looks.

It wasn't necessarily a valid point in the first place - Red Dot = Short range, ACOG = Medium-long range, Sniper = Any if you're quickscoping which... is kind of backwards.

The ACOG is usually very uncomfortable however - especially on a sniper and furthermore the way they change this is adding dual-scopes on your weapons in MW3...
I'd rather having better maps that don't need such variations, Battlefield does it great - don't expect to be hit too hard from afar unless it's a sniper.

No, don't copy Battlefield :P

and we're looking for objective arguments in this thread, things that are legitimate and will further push the medium of Games as a whole.

I think I've shown at least once on this post alone that I use subjective thinking... I don't think that argument stands sorry dude :<

I back it up with as much objective or comparing information as possible, however.

Does this make it a good movie, in your definition?

If we're talking about Transformers 2 then I think I know what you're talking about, if not, I never heard of it and I'd rather Lord of the Rings :P

So according to some of the most respected reviewers of today, an over-the-top sci-fi epic absolutely DESTROYS Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Some other games you wouldn't expect to score higher than Black Ops, Brutal Legend, Fable 2 and 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age Origins (PC version), and Infamous 2.

Sorry dude but I dislike the argument of reviewer scores as well - as far as I can tell they're tainted by business decisions and bargains for popularity, which severely off-sets their actual opinion. Do I know this for a fact? No, but would you really be surprised?

gunplay, multiplayer system, graphics, aesthetics, weapons, and overall feel of the game. Spec Ops with a friend is cool though, I'll give it that food stamp.

Two pluses I'll give in terms of singleplayer is the aesthetic of the soldiers at the start and then the graphics anyway - the weapons were bigger and felt more "oomph" compared to some weapons on CoD4 like the M4 Carbine (compared to the AK47).

So, there you have it. Highfire, your partner has arrived, and i brought cupcakes!

... No icing? :<

Haha, thanks man - though I'm not sure where you were headed with some of your arguments, or was it that you forgot about some things previously found in this thread?

And to be honest I think battlefield 3 will be much of the same. Because they already have a great game.

You can grow it... you can probably easily grow it in terms of ideas - it's just the method of doing it.

Deployable cover - Support (the LMG guys) gets to bring 2 sandbags with them into the fight that will last forever but can be knocked down, blown up or blown out of the way.

Done, I just made the Support Class something other than sheer firepower :>

Oh, and the bipod can of course be deployed on it. :>

- H
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

This fora is about CoD.
If you like different games. Ok, good for you.
You kind of ruin the thread by repeatedly saying your opinion.
So go outside, play, and look for some friends boy ( or girl ).

Showing 271-285 of 3990