ForumsThe TavernSo long, and thanks for all the fish. For reals this time.

55 14192
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey Gamers,

I know we had some lulz over the idea of my resignation back on April Fool's Day, but this time it's legitimate and real. No, really, cross my heart, etc..

I wanted you guys to hear it from me personally to avoid any rumors.

As of August 22nd, 2011, I'll be a full-time employee of a different company (not game-related in any way) and will become a part-time employee of Armor Games as a contractor/consultant to help finish up AG3 and help with all of the other stuff I did day to day Monday to Friday. Except now I'll be doing that stuff in the evenings and weekends instead.

Am I still technically working for Armor Games after August 22nd? Yes, I'm still going to be a paid employee, I'll just be paid hourly instead of a salary. Nothing else changes for the foreseeable future, other than I might take longer to answer questions.

For how long? Indefinitely, at Dan's discretion. I've offered to keep helping with software development for as long as they need me and for as long as I'm able.

Will I still have Admin privileges? As far as I know, I'll still be an Admin user. Even if Dan makes the decision to terminate my part-time employment, he can choose to let me keep Admin privileges to help the Moderators in my spare time. Or, if he wants to revoke my Admin access, I can always ask him to keep me on as a Moderator.

Will this delay AG3? Not really. A lot of AG3 is done, and lately I've actually been working more on systems administration, automation, databases, etc.. And the parts of AG3 that are changing due to user feedback will be rolled out over time anyway. However, since I won't be in the office any more, I might be out of the loop on some things happening with AG3, so you guys might need to poke Ron to chat in the AG3 forum about what's being worked on.

Is it bad timing to leave? Yeah, it's bad timing for Armor Games, and I feel bad for leaving the company, but for my family goals and career goals, this was the best timing.

Was there anything going on within the company to prompt this change? Nope. 100% of my reasons were personal or based on family and career goals.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask on my profile.

• 55 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Goodbye, Cormyn! Have fun with your new job and career goals! It was nice having you around.

I wonder how this'll effect the community.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To quote Monty Python instead of Douglas Adams, "I'm not dead yet!"

I'll still be around the community. Nothing changes right now other than the number of hours I work for Armor Games drops from about 60hrs/week to maybe 10-15hrs/week.

acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

I wish you the best of luck with your new job.

I wonder how this'll effect the community.

Earthquakes, riots, volcanoes, strike, war, explosions, fire. Shouldn't be much.
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

So you left this time for real, no April fool's. Don't say they made August fool's. Anyway, good luck with life, Ian. You did a good job here at AG.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I can say nothing that hasn't already be said, so I shall just say I shall miss you. I hope you find luck in all future endeavors.

mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

Thanks for everything cormyn! You will be missed. There always comes a time in a man's life when he just has to move on, I guess this is your time. Good luck on your new job! At least you will still hang around which is cool .

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Bye cormyn! Even though I am not on AG much anymore, I will still miss you! The things you did for this company were amazing! Have a great time at your new job!

acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

It's not gonna be the same without you Ian. Nobody will yell at us when we spam... You've made your foot step in this company. A big, and effective foot step. Thank you for making our AG life as great as possible. Good luck.

Question: Who will be the perma banner around here for now on?

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Question: Who will be the perma banner around here for now on?

He's still going to be around but not as much. If you read his 'goodbye' closely. He says he'll still be an admin user.
brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

i will miss you aswell if you ever decide to leave fully, but i wish you the best of luck in your new job, and it's not so bad afterall, because you will still be on AG

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Who will be the perma banner around here for now on?

Justin, mostly. Report stuff to him that you'd report to me. He's only in the office in the mornings and early afternoons though, so might take some time to respond, but he'll respond eventually.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Don't believe him guys, he's just trying to get an early start on the april fools joke for 2012.

Just kidding, but I wish you luck at your new job.

johnmerz
johnmerz
537 posts
Shepherd

It is ironic that there was an April fool's day joke recently, in which you "quit" AG. Did you know you were going to resign in the near future when you said that?
[quote=Cormyn]I know we had some lulz over the idea of my resignation back on April Fool's Day, but this time it's legitimate and real. No, really, cross my heart, etc..[/quote]
Don't worry, I trust that it is real this time.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

It's great that you found a good opprotunity to better you and your families lives. But it also sucks that we'll be seeing less of you here. Well, it's good that you have this chance and that's all that matters. Congradulations.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

If there was the perfect time to put down a sadface...

I can't believe that Strop and Cormyn are both leaving. At least Ash showed up.

We'll all miss you!

Showing 1-15 of 55