ForumsWEPRThe R Word

110 25037
supermape123
supermape123
431 posts
Nomad

Hello.I have seen a few commercials on TV saying not to say the R word.I would personally like to say to all the people that say this word are rude,disruptive,and have no common decency whatsoever.I have a couple of friends that are like this and are the nicest people I know.I just wanted to say that in hopes people would stop discriminating with harsh name calling.If you follow this just comment and agree.

Thanks,Super

• 110 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Which is, of course, totally lame right?

I see what you did there.

Anyway, because I am not arguing that these words should be censored but rather shouldn't be used by individuals due to their own choice the argument comes down to, basically, respect. I'm not arguing for political correctness simply that insulting a large body of people due to an aspect of themselves they have no control over is wrong and serves no functional point in society.

Now if you where in this "nerd" group who spends their free time on the internet debating random things

I'm a geek thank you very much *stares*.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

It gets to people because it's hurtful to feel shunned by an entire society for simply being born a certain way.

Then they need to grow up, be proud, and belittle others that resort to insulting them outside their character.

Yeah, you're right. you can fight for equal rights. And just to be clear I don't want forced censorship, just for society to look down on words like that. like the words that samy was talking about.

They do. But you can't seriously expect so many of these alternative words to be looked down upon just for being insults, do you? We shouldn't put them down because they are insults. That would be insulting. We belittle those that use The Words because it's an infringement upon equal rights. *** may also be part of The Words a couple years down the road. There's no logical reason for more political correctness, however.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

There's no logical reason for more political correctness, however.

Again even if we can state that it's political correctness unlike calling someone out on crap beliefs, religious or otherwise, using these words has absolutely no positive effect on society whatsoever and therefore have no purpose.

They do. But you can't seriously expect so many of these alternative words to be looked down upon just for being insults, do you?

We're teaching young people that "gay" is a negative in a very hypothetical sense, it's simply a negative term. The logical conclusion is that they will assume that homosexual individuals are therefore negative and should be treated as such.

Then again I suppose the above statement is a bit of a fallacy. Take it as you will.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

using these words has absolutely no positive effect on society whatsoever and therefore have no purpose

Neither do standard and pretty words, though Joe Swanson from next door enjoys it when you call him cool.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Neither do standard and pretty words, though Joe Swanson from next door enjoys it when you call him cool.

But unlike said words, which do serve the purpose of making our relatively unattractive sounding language have so many adjectives it has a purpose, these words can cause negative feelings and impacts on the community they are targeting. They're not entirely neutral.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

And my argument stated before is that said people need to brazen up to these words, especially if said words do not apply to them, because they are just words. There is no need for censoring of the words (if you are arguing for it) if these words do not affect the Equality of the individual. There are words that are strictly this, and there are also words that have different meanings. The ones with different meanings should be left alone even more.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

And my argument stated before is that said people need to brazen up to these words, especially if said words do not apply to them, because they are just words.

I agree; however, even if the words do not have a direct effect the negative association they create can cause individuals who use or hear these words to treat them negatively; moreover, the idea of "just get over it" is pretty poor psychology (the pretty words also make alliteration easier.

There is no need for censoring of the words (if you are arguing for it) if these words do not affect the Equality of the individual.

I am not and I agree.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

even if the words do not have a direct effect the negative association they create can cause individuals who use or hear these words to treat them negatively

If I'm reading this right, people would treat the person that used said word negatively? Or people that hear said word would all of a sudden have a negative regard for the demographic the word would apply to?
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

If I call my friend or some guy that isn't retarded retarded, it won't hurt anyone. I doubt it would even hurt the person getting insulted. Acting like saying a word is bad is plain retarded (haha see what I did there?). Who are you to label a word good or bad? Like in real life, there is no good or bad. And even putting that aside, it all depends on the context of the phrase, as meanings of words can change, even if it's just a bit.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

@Freakenstein not all of a sudden but, rather, over a period of time and not only as an individual but as a society. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to occur and I admittedly have no evidence for my claim, it's something I've observed so take it as you will.

@lolynage I think you're missing the point. It's the fact that a word regarding a demographic of individuals is being used in a negative context and could, potentially, create negative stereotypes about said individuals.

Anyway it's to bed for me so this is my last post for tonight.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

I think you're missing the point. It's the fact that a word regarding a demographic of individuals is being used in a negative context and could, potentially, create negative stereotypes about said individuals.

I'm not 100% on what kind of stereotype calling someone retarded would make. It's like calling somebody a cancer carrier. Will that put a stereotype on all the cancer carriers? About what? That they have cancer and having cancer is bad?

Sure, out of respect, I wouldn't call somebody retarded if someone that really has mental health issue would be beside. But if there is no actually retard, I don't mind saying retard.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I think you're missing the point. It's the fact that a word regarding a demographic of individuals is being used in a negative context and could, potentially, create negative stereotypes about said individuals.

This reminds me of gingers.

I feel that censorship is just wrong. If you're offended by a word on a station, you can simply choose not to watch that station. In fact, you can always write to the station if it really bugs you.
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Really, some kids these days are such retards.

Yes, I understand that some people have mental disabilities, that sucks, it really does, but we are not aloud to say a word that someone used to describe them?

The word retard was around before they gave it to some mental daft individual. Such as the word gay. We can not help what the world decides to do with a word, and as such, they can not decide what words I can and can not say

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

I just wanted to say that in hopes people would stop discriminating with harsh name calling

like to say to all the people that say this word are rude,disruptive,and have no common decency whatsoever

... lol.
You're not going to sway anyone from using the word "retard" by saying they're something bad otherwise.

Freakensteins post pretty much says it all, on terms of the actual point. Using the word "retard" in a hearty manner (such as banter) I've not a problem with - I don't prefer to use the word but the general conception of the word isn't usually its actual meaning, and construing it as such is pretty silly.

- H
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

Reminds me of the word "quaint." I use to use it as its meaning (odd or unusual). Until I found out that it had the ugly sub-meaning of basically calling someone gay (which is ANOTHER word that has been used as an insult!).

I could go on about how some swear words (a certain long "B" word comes to mind) were originally descriptive words. The "B" word originally meant a child who's parents were never married (Which can easily be made into an insult).

Anyway, stopping the use of the "R" word is good. It is used in a demeaning way against others (just like the word gay).

Just my thoughts on the subject.

~Hydromi Tad

Showing 16-30 of 110