ForumsWEPRThe R Word

110 24958
supermape123
supermape123
431 posts
Nomad

Hello.I have seen a few commercials on TV saying not to say the R word.I would personally like to say to all the people that say this word are rude,disruptive,and have no common decency whatsoever.I have a couple of friends that are like this and are the nicest people I know.I just wanted to say that in hopes people would stop discriminating with harsh name calling.If you follow this just comment and agree.

Thanks,Super

• 110 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

r are we supposed to never say anything negative at any point in time?

Great idea! The only way we can let anyone know that we think they are wrong is by either saying, "You're wrong" or use heavy sarcasm.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure thats B******, not R*****,

B****** is seven letters, r***** is six... :P

which would be fine except we're not sure what you're talking about

The interpretation of words, kind of.

These arguments are great and all, but arguments are usually more sound when you do not attack the person directly, Masterforger.

Considering it could've easily been misinterpretation of what masterforger said, I do think that it was a little overboard :/

If you use the R word you are an insensitive idiot.

O.o I like how you quickly jump to a conclusion just because I would involve the word retard in my vocabulary.

used in a way meant to hurt peoples feelings

Uh-huh. But that isn't always.

The R word is a slang term for mentally disabled

Retard or retardant means hinderance, reduced cognitive abilities is basically the same thing - mental retardation follows this category. The slang is the way it is generally used - as an insult.

much like a racial slur

Except racial slurs actually are taken more seriously despite the fact it would be less reasonable to discriminate someone because of their skin color.
What? Did I just indirectly say it's reasonable to discriminate a retard?
Yes, I did. The same way you don't involve a 4 year old in heavy lifting could be the same reason you don't involve someone with a mental disadvantage in advanced academic practices.

Dont ever use the R word or I will slap you

... O.o I don't know whether to cry with laughter, or to cry for the future of humanity (which I am sadly growing up with).

Yes I have done that to my friends who used the R word

That's kind of sad. Granted, I don't expect most people to be able to throw up a viable argument for the use of the term "retard", but there's a justified reason nonetheless.

Sorry. I didn't mean to get carried away.

It's happened to me several times... and I responded much worse previously. ^^

Stand alone. Just the words. Not whether it can be linked to violence etc.

Yes, it makes a difference. Linked violence is generally always involved as you generally don't have someone mocking another with words if they're not intentionally excluding them out of activities, etc.

Which only buffs the negative effect of insults. :/

- H
randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

This is to you enterorion. You are insensitive and yes you used the word it offends many people, fun factoid if you post something like calling somebody the r word on a social networking site, YOU can be Sued for harassment. Dont worry about my friends attacking me I can defend myself and I know a lot of people with questionable reputations yes but they would defend me so would a lot of other people I know. Did you know being respectful to people would actually help you make friends. The R word is mean and I compared it to a racial slur because thats the closest comparison I could come up with. If you know people who have mental disabilities you would actually gain some knowledge about how disrespectful the R word is. Enterorion your comment is completely inaccurate and offensive you are calling people who have helped shape this country idiots in short you are just throwing around insults. I have read your comment and came up with the conclusion that you think mentally disabled people dont deserve to live which makes you enterorion comparable to Hitler. If you hate the USA so much than move somewhere else. I slap my friends because usually Im the one with common sense and its the only way to get their attention. Not all americans are insensitive b******* like you think. You haven't had to live with a mental disability so you have no right to spew out so much crap. You have no idea how far people will go to defend people with mental disabilities. Now I ask this final question in hopes that you might actually think about it, How would you like to be mentally disabled and know that you cant help yourself at all having to rely on people to help you do things we take for granted, Knowing that you probably wont amount to much, most likely not even be able to walk or converse with other people.

As a side note, Albert Einstein could be called the R word he was mentally disabled.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

You are insensitive

You, good sir, don't seem to be in a position to judge.

and yes you used the word it offends many people,

He obviously had that intent - that's what we all want right - to hurt people?

No, it's simple expression.

fun factoid if you post something like calling somebody the r word on a social networking site, YOU can be Sued for harassment.

Fun factoid, most cases that say "tresspassers will be prosecuted" are incorrect - it's to do with civil law and thus is related to being sued.
What I'm saying is, that is irrelevant information considering all the other crimes that happen on the Internet. Does calling anyone who uses the word "retard" and insensitive idiot count? It should do.

Dont worry about my friends attacking me I can defend myself

Now I am worried. ^^

No but really, that isn't what I actually care about - from what you said yourself, you behave irrationally and unfairly towards people.
Heck, you are now.

and I know a lot of people with questionable reputations yes but they would defend me so would a lot of other people I know.

Because the opinion of your average person is rated so highly... O.o

People would defend others because they're friends, and that would be the only reason - it's a huge flaw in society.

Did you know being respectful to people would actually help you make friends.

Are you trying to lecture anyone here? It doesn't work with a full paragraph with little space out to easily read, and furthermore a dull point by heart.

The R word is mean and I compared it to a racial slur because thats the closest comparison I could come up with.

No, the context it COULD be used in is mean. Would you call African American, 6 foot 2 male a racial slur if it were to be in with a Police Report?

If you know people who have mental disabilities you would actually gain some knowledge about how disrespectful the R word is.

You don't need someone with disabilities to show you how disrespectful it is. Infact I don't think some of them would mind - those who suffer learn and be better because of it, that's something I've seen. Given the possible extent of the handicap it may not be as usual as in another situation although I'd think some mentally challenged people would understand that "their word" is not directed towards them.

It's acceptance of what they're capable of and not. It's a huge step of wisdom and those who accept that I would grow to respect more than most "normal" people I know now.

Enterorion your comment is completely inaccurate and offensive you are calling people who have helped shape this country idiots in short you are just throwing around insults.

You're really just doing the same.
This country? What? This has no relation to countries, it's to do with the word "retard", nothing more.

I have read your comment and came up with the conclusion that you think mentally disabled people dont deserve to live which makes you enterorion comparable to Hitler.

... I don't even understand why you're going only against EnterOrion. Come randumbness, debate with me a little bit.

Oh, and for an actual reason, he's saying "that's just the way it is", he was assertive in the idea of mass murder, thanks.

If you hate the USA so much than move somewhere else.

Again, stay on topic.

I slap my friends because usually Im the one with common sense and its the only way to get their attention.

The irony is if it takes a slap to get their attention they have to be mentally challenged or handicapped in some way. Such a poor excuse mate.
You don't have common sense, you lack common courtesy, even.

Not all americans are insensitive b******* like you think.

Even more irony. You lack proper sensitivity because you think it's just being butthurt when it matters, in its simplest form, which is the use of the word. Not the context, not the person, not anything but the word you've involved yourself in - you don't sense much about the expression people use it in, it seems.

You haven't had to live with a mental disability so you have no right to spew out so much crap.

Have you lived with a mental disability?
Also, I don't know for a fact but either I had the mental state of depression or something pretty close to that. That should count.

You have no idea how far people will go to defend people with mental disabilities.

How is that even relevant? This is to discuss your THOUGHTS on this matter, not how much people would go to "express" theirs.

How would you like to be mentally disabled and know that you cant help yourself at all having to rely on people to help you do things we take for granted, Knowing that you probably wont amount to much, most likely not even be able to walk or converse with other people.

... Mentally handicapped is psychological, emotional or intellectual shortcomings... not really physical.

That, and wisdom doesn't require brains, or the ability to do any physical excercise to any extent - I know this from first hand experience.
Wisdom should also be the most valued aspect of a person.

As a side note, Albert Einstein could be called the R word he was mentally disabled.

... Where exactly did you gather that?

- H
JamminDeV
JamminDeV
39 posts
Nomad

I dont really care about words, and why would a normal person be offended

Showing 106-110 of 110