Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Mormon Talk

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 10:13am

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

106 posts

I don't want you to stress yourself out with verses as a lot of information is given, but any Mormons have an opinion on any of these "top 10 bizarre Mormon beliefs"?

I'm not sure what you mean. I've already talked about most of them(#1, #2, #5, #6, #8, and #9). They are all just part of Mormon beliefs, so most of us don't find them ridiculous or bizarre.

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 9:57pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

2,534 posts

I don't want you to stress yourself out with verses as a lot of information is given, but any Mormons have an opinion on any of these "top 10 bizarre Mormon beliefs"?

I looked over it too. I don't think it is wierd, seeing as to how I've been taught these things all my life. besides, this countdown only scratches the surface of our beliefs, this forum has more detail than most of the thing you find on the internet.

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 10:53pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

106 posts

I just wanted to clarify some of the things in what I've said about the afterlife.

We believe that all humans are children of God, and that they lived with the Lord as spirits before being sent to Earth. Our lives(the lives of all humans, not just Mormons) did not begin at birth, nor will they end at death. After death, no matter what you believed, you will spend some time in a limbo or spirit-world type of place, where you will be instructed and prepared for the next step in the afterlife. When you are ready, you will undergo the Resurrection, at which point your body and your spirit will be forever reunited. If you are a Mormon who has been sealed, you will also be reunited with your family after the resurrection. Faithful Mormons who kept to the Commandments, accepted the word of the Lord, etc. in their life will be rewarded by getting to live in the presence of the Lord. Mormons live in the presence of the Lord as deities in our own right. I suppose this may be the source of the "Mormons think that they get their own planet" myth. As deities, we can create our own universes and edit our own afterlives just as the Lord did with ours. Non-Mormons will experience a temporary Hell while undergoing instruction in the spirit world, but after the Resurrection and the reunification with their bodies, they will be judged solely by what they did in their life. So they will be rewarded or punished based on their deeds, not beliefs. However, people who were non-Mormons in their life will never get the opportunity to live in the presence of the Lord.

In order to be resurrected, you have to accept the truth of the LDS beliefs. You will be able to do this at any time, and you will never be condemned to any eternal hell(with some exceptions).
There are three different "layers" of heaven, which are called degrees or kingdoms of glory: the telestial, terrestrial, and celestial kingdoms.
The telestial kingdom is the lowest of the three, and is basically a spiritual prison. It includes liars, adulterers, thieves, etc. After their death, spirits will remain in the telestial kingdom for 1,000 years, then be moved into the terrestrial kingdom(if they are truly penitent for their actions). It also includes people who were not Mormons in their life, but those people will be shown the truth. As soon as they accept this truth, they will be moved to the terrestrial kingdom. There is no point where people are unacceptable or unforgivable, except for people who committed one of the two unpardonable sins(I'll explain those below).
The terrestrial kingdom is for good people who lived respectably and treated other people well, but who were not Mormons. The terrestrial kingdom is a glorious place, but residents of the terrestrial kingdom will not be granted the same honors as those of the celestial kingdom.
The celestial kingdom is for those who lived respectably and treated others well, as well as being Mormons. As I have said before, this is the highest level of glory. Residents of the celestial kingdom will have the honor of living in the presence of the Lord, and will become deities in their own right of their own worlds if they wish. However, in all other respects, it is nearly identical to the terrestrial kingdom.
There are only two sins which are unpardonable. People who have committed either of these two sins will be eternally condemned to the telestial kingdom.
The first unpardonable sin is to be shown heaven, to be shown the Lord, to be shown the truth of things so that there can be no possible doubt in one's mind. This is defined very narrowly, in case you were wondering. It definitely doesn't mean a couple of missionaries come by your house and you slam the door in their face. xP It means that you believe it is true, but you reject it anyway. This is severe blasphemy and pure disrespect, and different from others because other blasphemers do not believe that the thing they are insulting is true or that it exists, so they can't really be insulting or disrespecting it. People who commit this sin are referred to as the Sons of Perdition.
The second unpardonable sin is murder. I don't think that this requires much explanation.

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 10:57pm

KineticNinja

KineticNinja

171 posts

I'm pretty sure there was already a thread on AG called "ask a mormon"

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 11:10pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

106 posts

I'm pretty sure there was already a thread on AG called "ask a mormon"

Lol. This is the thread "Ask a Mormon", just with a different title. I asked a moderator to change the title for me, since, as has been pointed out, there are so many threads titled "Ask a...".

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 11:20pm

grimml

grimml

902 posts

The second unpardonable sin is murder. I don't think that this requires much explanation.

How is murder defined? Is it murder if you're a soldier and you kill somebody?

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 11:39pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

106 posts

How is murder defined? Is it murder if you're a soldier and you kill somebody?

It's technically possible for a soldier to kill another soldier, and that would qualify as murder under the LDS definition. If that other soldier was innocent and was just serving his country, then yes, I think that would qualify as murder. But I'm not certain. You might want to ask someone else, for another opinion, ask the bishop, or something like that. Basically, if you kill someone else who is innocent, then you are a murderer. If you kill someone else who is not innocent, you are not a murderer.
Doctrine and Covenants 132:27: The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall not be forgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit murder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be ****ed, saith the Lord.

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 11:50pm

grimml

grimml

902 posts

if you kill someone else who is innocent, then you are a murderer.

Even if it was by accident?

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 11:56pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

106 posts

Again, what I say on this point is not definitive. You may want to get a second opinion and/or ask someone else.
I'm not even close to being sure, but I think that it would only be considered murder if it was an accident that the person could have prevented. If, for example, someone was drinking and driving and killed a pedestrian, that would be an example of murder. If it was completely by accident(I can't think of an example right off the top of my head), then they might have to stay in the telestial kingdom for as long as any other sinner who committed a pardonable sin.

Posted Sep 3, '11 at 12:39am

CalvinKidd137

CalvinKidd137

908 posts

OK how would you accidentally kill someone?

Reply to Mormon Talk

You must be logged in to post a reply!