ForumsWEPRMormon Talk

158 51978
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

So, I saw a lot of threads such as "Ask a Muslim", "Ask a Jew", etc. and thought I'd make one of my own. As far as I can tell, Mormonism is one of the most widely misunderstood religions, so I thought I'd clear a few things up. Now, I'm not like a stake president or anything, but I'll do my best to answer your questions. I can't guarantee I have an answer to all of them. I would prefer it if this thread were not to turn into a religious debate. I've tried debating religion before. As far as I can tell, if you took a recording of a theist's arguments and a recording of an atheist's arguments, stuck them together and played them, you'd get approximately the same amount of actual thinking and listening as what goes into the actual debates. That's not to say atheists aren't allowed to ask questions, of course, just that I'm asking you not to turn this into a debate. I would also request that you keep this civil and polite. I will joke about my own religion sometimes, jokes are fine as long as humor, not malice, is the intent. But I will treat your beliefs with respect and expect you to do the same for mine. Thanks.
So now...go ahead and ask.

• 158 Replies
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Its just what botherd me too when i entered. can anyone please explain me the thing that happened? Its realy insolting, and rude. can anyone explain to me what happend, why and how?

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

well, I guess I can answer this for you guys:

the belief is that if you never had a chance to learn about our belief then you are held in a form of purgatory called spirit prison, where you get the chance to finally learn about the faith and then decide if you want to become one or not. the belief also means that a baptism, and confirmation, is given to them by proxy so that they can become one of the faith if/when they accept it.

the view of mormons is that everyone should have the chance to choose to become one or not, whether in this life or the next, regardless of what they did when they were alive.

Bear in mind, he was given a baptism, but that doesn't allow him to automatically go to heaven. in fact, chances are he will go to the telestial kingdom because of the fact that he killed so many people when he was alive.

unlike most beliefs, the LDS church doctrine states that men are still judged according to their works, and that baptism doesn't automatically exempt them from this. in other words, baptism doesn't equal clean slate.

-Blade

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

I could accept that, but the problem is that you {i dont blame you or attacking you, you are the Messenger} belive that the other "religions" are controld by a evil lich, and no one can change is faith to mormonisem because they are forrbiden. the truth is, that everyone that not feel full and free with is religion, will learn about diffrunte religions, and, if god want, will help him find out about the mormonisem. i have a aunt that almost did.
so who are you to say that yours is the only true one, so that you have to rescue the others??? its realy angry me.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

is that you

If you mean Bladerunner, he's an Atheist now. He used to be a Mormon though, which is why he knows what stance they would take on it.

so who are you to say that yours is the only true one, so that you have to rescue the others?

Almost all religions do this to some degree. None of them claims to be false/untrue/a blind hope.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

And thats why i hate it. peoples who belive they know whats good for the man, even when he is dead because he didnt left his religion in the most darkest times.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

so who are you to say that yours is the only true one, so that you have to rescue the others??? its realy angry me.

lol, that is how most christians operate, by calling the other ones false. I don't blame you for being angry, but if you are going to call one religion wrong for doing a commonly used practice, then you are hypocritical for doing so.

And thats why i hate it. peoples who belive they know whats good for the man, even when he is dead because he didnt left his religion in the most darkest times.

that is just one of the many problems of the world. humans are imperialistic, intolerant (but we've been working on this part), and usually closed minded. everyone will call someone wrong for not following their methods at least once in their life. religion is just the most public, and common, form of doing so.

If you mean Bladerunner, he's an Atheist now. He used to be a Mormon though, which is why he knows what stance they would take on it.

trust me, before I became one, I was kicking and screaming in a desperate effort to keep my already shattered beliefs intact (metaphorically of course). I've calmed down about it now, but I still hate having to maintain the appearance that I still am one in front of everyone I know who doesn't go to my school (church, family, etc.). my testimony in god is a hollow as an open-glass tube. it hurts even more to see my "friends" still clinging to the faith that I have secretly shrugged off, and to know that I can easily crush their beliefs, but to do so is to alienate myself from everything that I have grown up with.

It's hard, but I'm not broken yet.

-Blade
Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

Just a random Mormon question.

I know Mormon is a type of Christianity and I know that there are three types of Christianity: Protestant, Catholic and East Orthodox. My question is: Which one of these does Mormon fit into?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I know Mormon is a type of Christianity and I know that there are three types of Christianity: Protestant, Catholic and East Orthodox. My question is: Which one of these does Mormon fit into?

There is also the Assyrian Church of the East and the Oriental Orthodoxy as groupings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Christianity_Branches.svg/500px-Christianity_Branches.svg.png

As for your question there are some minorities who believe in traditional protestant theology. Though the church itself is a new entity developed by Joseph Smith.
Showing 151-158 of 158