ForumsThe TavernHorror game

25 3841
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

What would you think would HAVE to be included in a phsycological horror game? (warning: you can't post "zombies!" because it will be removed as spam.)

• 25 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

But I believe one might have been 'Edge of Darkness' or something to that account.

I read about edge of darkness, I found it quite interesting, what they did was when your insanity meter was high, the volume would start going higher or lower, paintings will looks hellish and watch you, you might hear double footsteps, stuff like that. The only weird thing I thought, was the way the sanity meter goes up, it goes up whenever a enemy spots you, not when you look at him or anything.
Another example of the same concept, albeit used differently and for a different outcome, would be the use of white noise before a certain play in the theatre. White noise was playing through the speakers in the hall and lounges before the play started, gradually becoming louder and louder, but so gradually that the audience never noticed. Then, at the start of the play, the white noise was turned off, and a sense of complete and utter silence was left.

I like the concept, but what would you suggest for noise in the game? I was thinking maybe a rustling sound, but it might be noticable, therefore lessining the effect, I think a humming noise would be the best choice (probably the easiest to get also).
I think, while haven't played Amnesia myself, that the real thing that gets to you is the fact that you barely know what is going on, and the fact you can't look at your enemies without going insane, while there are relatively few enemies actually around.
Humans have always had trouble with stuff they don't understand, and being left without a reason for what is going on, will most likely bother the players to the core while having their curiosity move them forward to see what is going on.
Just like the unknown is far more scary than anything we could meet. not knowing what you fight against, what might be around the corner and so on triggers our imagination, and that is a powerful tool.

Yea some of the bosses were actualy invisible in that game, but the sounds it made made you scared. For most of the game actually, you are left with no monsters, and very rarley voices or messages to push the plot along. Mainly, you are just thinking "what if there is a monster behind that corner", the only thing I found a little rediculous is how you start swaying (i don't know if you actualy are, but your camera turns side to side) and the screen turns kindof green.
The first use the fact that you will be finding weapons and ammunition very early in the game, and continue to do so, even if you won't actually be needing these weapons until much later in the game. Players are used to quick action, that if there is weapons, you will be needing them in a moment, but with this, they will be on their toes for most of the game and possibly even feeling relieved when they are finally allowed to shoot something.

But that would probably bore them, since they have a gun and no targets, I think if you just kept it like Amnesia where there is no weapons, then resident evil, where there are tons.
I think Silent Hill did this nicely though, keeping not too much ammunition where you could just shoot everything, but not too little where you could be screwed if you are looking for some way past something. But I found the nighmare stages (the really scarry parts) a little laughable, since there are just plain random things that will be there.
I was thinking of having a teamate with you for a bit of the game to make you feel comfortable, then kill him in a brutal way and leave you completly alone in your struggles.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

How about you give them enough ammo to get through the levels, but only if they avoid some enemies or find some secret ammo spots?

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

How about you give them enough ammo to get through the levels, but only if they avoid some enemies or find some secret ammo spots?

I was thinking mele might be better, more up close and personal and usualy in horror games, you don't wanna be doing that.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I think that having popping out monsters wont isn't as scary as having one waiting for you.

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

I've always thought it would be scary if your being chased by a monster but you don't know what it is. Sometimes you see a monster in a game, and your freaked out, but then you realize how common it is, and learn how to attempts to attack you.

New enemies are always something interesting, and they can be scary if they come out of nowhere in the dark.

Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

Well, somethings I would like to see in a horror game would be:

A plot that makes sense.

Suspenseful/Creepy music really makes a different, in my opinion.

Night Time: Yeah, it's overused but... a lot of people are afraid of the dark.

Subtle changes at first that build suspense up to "scarier events". Like what was said before, maybe a few things move around, stuff falls off walls, then BAM (insert something scary here).

If you're incorporating bosses, a good challenge would always make it fun, maybe in a creepy environment...

The lighting: For instance, you're in a dark room, light flashes something runs in front of you... Or something like that.

That's about all the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I've always thought it would be scary if your being chased by a monster but you don't know what it is. Sometimes you see a monster in a game, and your freaked out, but then you realize how common it is, and learn how to attempts to attack you.

So it'l like the anmesia monsters where you can't look at them or you start to tripp out.
A plot that makes sense.

What do you mean by it makes sence? Do you mean that it could happen in real life, or that it isn't adding a whole bunch of confusing stuff?
Suspenseful/Creepy music really makes a different, in my opinion.

So no music would be bad for you? And I was thinking of using whitnoise instead and switching it on and off to make the player offbalence.
Night Time: Yeah, it's overused but... a lot of people are afraid of the dark.

Actualy sometimes it's scarier if it is day outside, but the shadows make the inside pitch black.
If you're incorporating bosses, a good challenge would always make it fun, maybe in a creepy environment...

Haha, I wasn actualy going to make the bosses as scary as possible, like for one idea, have the player struggle to get away from the boss by smalling the space bar to try to stop slipping down a shute with the boss laughing at you and saying "ur not gonna get away".
The lighting: For instance, you're in a dark room, light flashes something runs in front of you... Or something like that.

Yea, lighting will sometimes make or break a game and flashes are perfect for adding entities.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

there are ideas of monsters in the book of the bible in revelation you should probably check that out.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

a psychopath young japanese school girl.
kinda like the 1 from "kill bill vol.1" or a few from "battle royal".

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

a psychopath young japanese school girl.
kinda like the 1 from "kill bill vol.1" or a few from "battle royal".

I was tinking of a bit more twisted of that, but the winner of Battle Royal is quite twisted so that would be a good mind for a monster.
Showing 16-25 of 25