ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThis has "art".

264 75048
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Strop wanted me to make a new art thread.

Me: Gimme a good reason to make a new one, then.
Strop: You're awesome.

Which I guess is a fair reason.
So making a new art thread.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/lieka-1.jpg
  • 264 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

(And for people who are interest, look, comments are open)

I like that comic. It amuse me. The story behind it amuse me as well.
Ninja librarian is made of awesome. His left hand would contain a book, while the other (I presume the one you are wondering about) has either a library card, one of the filing cards or might be a book mark.
For a poster, it might be a little silly, to be honest. Most people would only buy a poster that was either good looking or with someone they know. A The Simpsons poster would be alright, even if it was simple and had little content, but I doubt anyone would think the same of the Uniwolf one.

The Dresden Files... Well, I like them. Enough to get 12 of them in one stretch, even if I don't have time to read them just yet. Butcher writes an appealing protagonist that isn't overly strong or awesome or bad-as-heck. He is a regular person, albeit with magical powers and bad luck.
And he lives in a crap apartment, lives off noodles and wears a robe in his lab, not because that's what wizards do, but because his lab is cold as heck.
So yes, they are good. For a former mythology geek, it is highly amusing, for a current fantast, even better.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Hey Cen. I put your pic of you fighting with Strop as my background on my phone(on first page of thread).

What you are most likely thinking: That is really weird man.

What you should be thinking: Cool! My pic is so good it is on the background of some kid's phone.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Noteworthy, if Strop is to be believed: He would join in, apparently neverminding his date.

What if I had a girlfriend who would also join in?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

What you should be thinking: Cool! My pic is so good it is on the background of some kid's phone.

It's a nice picture, after all. My sister is using her Christmas present poster as a background for her phone. Apparently I am popular for phones?

What if I had a girlfriend who would also join in?

I just love your disregard for storylines.
Wait, I meant *loathe.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

There will be art later.

A short rant on literary trends
Mainly due to my local book store's English paperback section
Female protagonists in fantasy fiction - Fantasy used to be that thing, usually it had male protagonists, it was the good old hero thing, kill the dragon, kill the princess, awesome adventure time. Horror, monsters, blood, you name it, there is probably a book for it.
Then Twilight happened.
Suddenly all the newest fantasy with a contemporary setting has female protagonists. And supernatural boyfriends... "OH NO I IS REGULAR GIRL THEN SUDDNLY SUPARNATURL AND OMG VAMPIRE/ANGEL/WEREWOLF/ALIEN/DEMIGOD/FANGASM"...

Steam punk erotic novels - Just that.
No, a bit more: I shouldn't be surprised. But I was. Then I got curious and read a bit in one. Then I was both scarred and scared. I now have a morbid curiosity towards this genre, but I don't actually want to ever read anything close to that ever again. Ever.

Zombies!!one! - Which I can only guess is there to outweigh the sudden steam punk erotics... I don't even. And no, not something like the Zombie Survival Guide. Zombie novels. Actual novels and short stories set during a zombie apocalypse.

And then apparently a bunch of high fantasy, which I kinda wonder about because Harry Potter kinda made way for contemporary fantasy and made it more desired among the authors, but apparently high fantasy made a comeback without me noticing.

I don't... The steam punk erotics still scare me.

Something else entirely: Screw you government for making "unhealthy" stuff more expensive. I want my regular coke, but it is more expensive than the light version (that doesn't taste as good). And this is the store brand. I didn't dare to go see how much the cool brand was, mainly because it already would cost me a meal or two to indulge in that form of luxury.
Time to cut the sugar addiction, it seems...

Anyway.
I got back, I have my tablet, I haven't gotten around drawing anything marvellous yet, but I am sure I can press out some random sketches later tonight.

I do have this:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/plants.jpg
Which shows my wonderfully healthy plants.
And:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/wolf-1.png
Which... has teeth.

Derp.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Those teeth make me go "eep," just saying.

I can't help but agree with you on the Twilight esque stuff, and I've never seen the latter, so I have no opinion yet.

I miss when when fantasy females were awesome... The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and the Chronicles of Pyrdain are always good though.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

If you want a strong female lead in a fantasy series, tryout Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I highly recommend it.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

But isn't that high fantasy? Females does alright in high fantasy, mainly because the setting generally doesn't do too well for all the romantic stuff.
Sadly, this can't really be said about the contemporary fantasy, which is what bothers me.

Not to mention I am probably insanely chauvinistic when it comes to my literature.

Wolf goes omnomnomnom.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Well, there is some romance, but yeah it's high fantasy.

Just tell me what you are really looking for in a fantasy book Cen, and I'll point ya in the right direction. Oh and do you read scifi?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I am a bit tired of high fantasy these days. Apparently, I can only tolerate so many dragons.

Well, I can give you my list of books I enjoyed and would read more of:
Dresden Files: Wizard living in Chicago trying to stay alive while helping the police solve supernatural crimes. Is considered a fake by pretty much everyone not involved with the supernatural, and considered a threat by everyone involved with the supernatural.

Bartimaeus Trilogy: Wizard living in London summons a snarky Djinni to steal a locket. Three books later, London is close to being demolished by Djinn possessed wizards, while first wizard, Djinni and magic immune girl tries to stop them, while not dying.

Harry Potter: Wizard finds... Well, you all know that one.

Artemis Fowl: Boy genius slash technology wizard meddles with fairies. Chaos ensues continuously.

WoD: Supernatural beings (and wizards) go about doing their stuff in the real world.

And from the non-contemporary shelf:
Spook's apprentice: Young boy gets to be the apprentice of the local spook, that goes about defeating evil, supernatural beings. There are no wizards in this, but there are witches.

That's about it, actually. (then, of course there are stuff like LotR, Good Omens, Horror Movie Survival Guide and other such fanciness, but the above list seems good for this purpose).

As for scifi... I never really got into the genre. Mainly because most of what I have access to without spending all the money I don't have is "Space marine goes alien killing", "Alien goes space marine killing" and, alternately, "Other beings go alien and space marine killing".
Well, then there was Bladerunner and Neuromancer, but those were a bit weird for my tastes.
So I guess we should just assume I like fantasy for now. And wizards.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Fine, we'll skip scifi since my suggestions were all space marines killing aliens lol.

Alright, sounds like it's time for you to try some gritty fantasy, which goes for a world full of shades of grey (not the old fashioned black vs white thing). The series that really got that type of fantasy going was The Black Company by Glen Cook. If your book store has it GET IT.
The most popular series in that genre is George R.R. Martins A Song of Ice and Fire (the first book being A Game of Thrones), but that might be to big of a departure from what you are used to.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Hmm, might think about it. Wiki calls the first one epic fantasy, which kinda annoys me, because it usually fits well under high fantasy as well.
A Song of Ice and Fire have been considered before, I think the "high fantasy" part was what got me out of it as well. Not to mention it is pretty hard to sample books without having to do so illegally.

I kinda wish there was a "Supernatural suspense" index somewhere...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Fantasty books with wizards? Do you read the Dragonlance series?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Either way, I do actually have 10 books to read in the Dresden Files first. I was just annoyed with the "OMG FEMALE HERO OMG VAMPIRES KISSYKISSY" trend my bookstore has. Actually, make that all my book stores...

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Do you ever finish the coloring of your sketches Cen? The plants look good without the color but if you finished the color on the wolf it would look better.

Do you read the Dragonlance series?

I have only read 1 but it is really good. You should read them Cen.
Showing 151-165 of 264