ForumsThe TavernScience discussions.

205 26244
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

This is an area for general science and maths based discussions.

Ask me directly for any info on any science or maths based topic!

• 205 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Told you that it was neurology not psychology!

Quote to me the exact part which you think is neurology.

No, that's psychiatry.

Psychotherapy and Psychiatry are different. Psychiatry proscribes drugs in addition to psychologically examining the problem. For instance, a psychiatrist may proscribe an anti-depressant after determining that you are suffering from depression due to the death of a loved one.

A psychologist will determine the same thing, but will try to help you rationalize and get over the depression instead of giving you something for it.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Quote to me the exact part which you think is neurology.
Neurology uses biology and chemistry to treat abnormalities and recognize them.

However,
Psychology uses biology and chemistry to explain why these behaviors occur.
That is still neurology.
Psychotherapy and Psychiatry are different. Psychiatry proscribes drugs in addition to psychologically examining the problem. For instance, a psychiatrist may proscribe an anti-depressant after determining that you are suffering from depression due to the death of a loved one.
And counselling ("the shrink&quot is just talking about your life. All of it is social science.
A psychologist will determine the same thing, but will try to help you rationalize and get over the depression instead of giving you something for it.
Yes.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Psychology uses biology and chemistry to explain why these behaviors occur.
That is still neurology.

No, it is not. A psychologist, for example, will use biology to know that say what parts of the brain control what emotions. They can do this by using an MRI or CAT scan and question people to see what emotional reactions occur and what parts of the brain are used during this. Psychology does not ONLY study social behavior, it also uses biology and chemistry to explain WHY these behaviors occur. If this doesn't get it through your head that psychology uses chemistry and biology, I suppose nothing will. I'm done arguing this point into the ground. Whether you understand the nuances between the fields is of no concern to me and I have lost interest in try to explain it.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

No, it is not. A psychologist, for example, will use biology to know that say what parts of the brain control what emotions. They can do this by using an MRI or CAT scan and question people to see what emotional reactions occur and what parts of the brain are used during this.
Again, neurology. If you're speaking about how the brain works you're speaking about neurology. If you're speaking about psychology you're talking about behviour and emotions; totally different.
Psychology does not ONLY study social reactions occur and what parts of the brain are used during this
Again, neurology. Studying the brain is for neurologists whilst psychologists study behaviour. THAT'S the difference...
I'm done arguing this point into the ground. Whether you understand the nuances between the fields is of no concern to me and I have lost interest in try to explain it.
Calm down: This is a debate thread. Hence the DEBATING.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Alright then, fine. Wanna talk about something else scientific or mathematical or social scientific, then?

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Calm down: This is a debate thread. Hence the DEBATING.

There is no debating occuring. I am stating what psychology is and what it does, and you say, "No, you're wrong, that's neurology."

I have already addressed all of your points, including these

If you're speaking about how the brain works you're speaking about neurology
Studying the brain is for neurologists whilst psychologists study behaviour

and I have shown you that just because there may be commenalities that does not mean they are the same thing. You are now just stubbornly asserting that if it has "brain" it equals neurology, and that psychology is only behavior and nothing else. e
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

There is no debating occuring. I am stating what psychology is and what it does, and you say, "No, you're wrong, that's neurology."

I have already addressed all of your points, including these
That IS debating. You're wrong and I'm debating fact. Therefore it is a debate.
and I have shown you that just because there may be commenalities that does not mean they are the same thing. You are now just stubbornly asserting that if it has "brain" it equals neurology, and that psychology is only behavior and nothing else. e
Aw, come one. You know that I'm right...

Wanna talk about something else scientific or mathematical or social scientific?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

You're wrong and I'm debating fact.

Aw, come one. You know that I'm right...

Sigh. No, I'm not wrong. Just read this.

Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring the physiological and neurobiological processes that underlie certain functions and behaviors. Psychologists explore such concepts as perception, cognition, attention, emotion, phenomenology, motivation, brain functioning, personality, behavior, and interpersonal relationships.

That IS debating

It's not debating when only one side is arguing and the other just keeps saying, "No."

Wanna talk about something else scientific or mathematical or social scientific?

Like what? That's as broad a topic as, "Let's talk about something in the universe."
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Whoops, forgot to link where that came from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology

gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring the physiological and neurobiological processes that underlie certain functions and behaviors. Psychologists explore such concepts as perception, cognition, attention, emotion, phenomenology, motivation, brain functioning, personality, behavior, and interpersonal relationships.
Exactly. Purely behavioural like it says in the passage. Have I won now?
It's not debating when only one side is arguing and the other just keeps saying, "No."
Yes it is because I won.
Like what? That's as broad a topic as, "Let's talk about something in the universe."
Hell lets talk about the universe. Did you know that stars have several life cycles before they die? Or did you know that the Red LIght Affect proves expansion of the universe?

Also the social sciences are all about psychology and neurology. They're used interchangeably but they are NOT the same thing!

Wanna talk bout something? See, anything, no?...

I like the fact that I'm right and you're wrong and you accidentally proved me right... LOL!
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

brain functioning,
That's how the brain works! Not it's infrastructure! That's how people think; that's what they mean...
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Exactly. Purely behavioural like it says in the passage. Have I won now?

I like the fact that I'm right and you're wrong and you accidentally proved me right... LOL!

Yes it is because I won.

*Double facepalm*

while also exploring the physiological and neurobiological processes that underlie certain functions

Psychologists explore such concepts as perception, cognition, attention, emotion, phenomenology, motivation, brain functioning, personality, behavior, and interpersonal relationships.

Please read before posting.

Or did you know that the Red LIght Affect proves expansion of the universe?

Yes, I know that the Red Shift effect is what has been used to estimate the amount of time the universe has been around, and that that time is a little over 15 billion years.

Did you know that stars have several life cycles before they die?

Again, yes, I know this.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

*Double facepalm*
LOL
while also exploring the physiological and neurobiological processes that underlie certain functions
Alright, alright, alright. You win. Jeez, if it's so important to you...
Please read before posting
Read what? ****?
Yes, I know that the Red Shift effect is what has been used to estimate the amount of time the universe has been around, and that that time is a little over 15 billion years.
little
LITTLE!!? That's not little. Dude, that's like a monumental long time.
Again, yes, I know this.
Yes, photonstar, red dwarf, red giant, white dwarf, black dwarf, neutron star, black hole etc...
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Read what? ****?

Read my post and actually think about it. This statement

"LITTLE!!? That's not little. Dude, that's like a monumental long time."

shows that you are selectively reading my posts to a HUGE extent. Please read all of it before posting. Know how I know you are selectively reading it?

You read "little" out of...

a little over 15 billion years.

Nowhere did I say that 15 billion years is a little amount of time. I said that the universe is a little OLDER THAN, which modifies the coming number, 15 billion.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Read my post and actually think about it. This statement
No I mean that your statement is **** as in I cannot understand a word you're saying.
shows that you are selectively reading my posts to a HUGE extent. Please read all of it before posting. Know how I know you are selectively reading it?
How?
Showing 91-105 of 205