ForumsPopular MediaThe Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey (LOTR Prequel)

39 15443
ScouseWarrior
ScouseWarrior
1,391 posts
Nomad

What are you thoughts about the trailer, of the new Lord of The Rings trailer for the film? My thoughts at first was that it was taking a new aspect of comedy, but towards the end of it, everything started to get more dramatic and fastly paced. The story seems to revolve around Frodos uncle Bilbo and about how he came into accuitance of the ring.

Link to the trailer:

• 39 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I am sorry, did I just see a "Seems to revolve around[...]" in there? This is based on a book, it is not like it is going to be a surprise what will happen in it.
The matter is how they portray it and more importantly, how successfully they tell the story.

Zophia showed me the trailer, I am looking forward to seeing it, and I am even more looking forward to the second part because of
[SPOILER TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ AN 80 YEAR OLD BOOK]
Smaug. I am really looking forward to Smaug.
[/END UNNEEDED SPOILER TAG]

Looking forward to it with excited dread.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Luckily this time i read the book before the movie came out (unlike the LotR trilogy) so I also wait with bated breath to ostracize or admire the movie based on its merits.

I think it'll be interesting how they portray the (spoiler) riddle battle, Bert, Tom & Ben (The 3 trolls), and also the Battle of the 5 Armies.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

accuitance

Wut?

SPOILER TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ AN 80 YEAR OLD BOOKEND UNNEEDED SPOILER TAG

Nao, this site is for 13 year olds generally. Not all of them have read the Hobbit.

I have learned not to expect too much out of book-to-film adaptations(Eragon, Percy Jackson, etc. were nightmares) but as far as I'm concerned the LoTR movies were the exception that proved the rule. Hoping that The Hobbit will keep that up.
I agree with Noobs about the Battle of the 5 Armies, should be interesting. I also think that just seeing who they cast will be interesting, with characters like a young Gandalf on the table.
I think that it would be cool if they invented their own riddles for the whole Bilbo-Gollum battle of riddles, since most of the riddles used in the book seem to be classics. It would be a nice touch if they used riddles that the audience would have to actually think to solve.
ThroatLozenge
ThroatLozenge
146 posts
Nomad

I don`t remember the story too well because of how long ago I read it. I remember Bilbo travelling with dwarves, the three trolls, and the dragon. Not much in between :S

I will definitely make my girlfriend go see this

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Zophia showed me the trailer, I am looking forward to seeing it, and I am even more looking forward to the second part because of
[SPOILER TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ AN 80 YEAR OLD BOOK]
Smaug. I am really looking forward to Smaug.
[/END UNNEEDED SPOILER TAG]

Looking forward to it with excited dread.

They're splitting it in 2 parts? I really don't remember the book being that long. Now I'm disappointed I won't get to see the character you mentioned in the spoiler shown in your quote .
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

I will see it opening weekend. No exceptions.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Nao, this site is for 13 year olds generally. Not all of them have read the Hobbit.

Read LOTR and some of the LOTR books when I was 12 :3

Definitely looking forward to it, I can't get enough of Middle Earth. Plus, I want to see the Battle of the Five Armies in the second part. Oops, spoiler.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Read LOTR and some of the LOTR books when I was 12 :3

I know some of us have...I read The Hobbit when...actually, I don't think I remember. I think I read it right after Watership Down, because I had just started reading by myself, which would put it somewhere in second grade except I was reading the Prydain Chronicles then, so third grade. It must have been third grade. Sorry, I'm thinking to myself.

They're splitting it in 2 parts? I really don't remember the book being that long. Now I'm disappointed I won't get to see the character you mentioned in the spoiler shown in your quote .

MOAR SPOILERS
Smaug isn't a character per se. If memory serves, he's a dragon.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Smaug isn't a character per se. If memory serves, he's a dragon.

Still a character, since after all he does have some speaking parts and he is an integral part of the story.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

And yes, he was that gold loving dragon encrusted with jewels except for a small hole in his -spoiler- that Bilbo tricked with the One Ring.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Still a character, since after all he does have some speaking parts and he is an integral part of the story.

That's true.

What was whatshisface's name...the dwarf king guy? Thorn or Bjorn or something? Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing him as well. Gimli was the only really fleshed out dwarf character in the old movies, so seeing another dwarf played differently should be nice.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Thorin Oakenshield. True, I would like to see more dwarf characters with greater speaking parts. If they did a flashback to his father, that would be good as well. And Frank will be mightily pleased to boot.

MegaIPOD
MegaIPOD
421 posts
Shepherd

There's something strange about me and my brother, every year, he downloads all the movies ALL OVER AGAIN and he invites me to watch them ALL OVER I love those hours, but this year, i think he didn't do that, oh, well the three-year-chain broke, wait... 8 days! Oh, no, my papers start from Sunday(i think). It's in two parts right? The Hobbit comes next year and the other will come in 2013 right? then he'll do it all over again! YES!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

There's something strange about me and my brother, every year, he downloads all the movies ALL OVER AGAIN and he invites me to watch them ALL OVER I love those hours, but this year, i think he didn't do that, oh, well the three-year-chain broke, wait... 8 days! Oh, no, my papers start from Sunday(i think). It's in two parts right? The Hobbit comes next year and the other will come in 2013 right? then he'll do it all over again! YES!

Tell him to buy the movies to support the industry, or don't tell us he is downloading them, because it is illegal and gives heck to the rest of us that pay for our movies.

Just a note, yes, I know some people haven't read the book. But it is still 80 years old, and if you are going to 1)make guesses on the plot or 2)be annoyed that the plot is spoiled, you get classes with the idiots that complained about the plot in Deathly Hallows part 1, and that guy that complained on youtube that the Hobbit was a ripoff of LotR.
As my sister said when I told her about this:
Research before you post.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

But then again, knowing Hollywood, the plot would be defaced a little.

I want to see Beorn. No more werewolves shapeshifting like Twilight, just a great big bear.

Showing 1-15 of 39