ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

185 29484
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I just wanted to start anew, and adjust a couple little details here and there on the rules and such! Nothing major.

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.

Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important also, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.

The debate will go on until one debater reaches 10 points, or until one of the debaters fails to post within 48 hours without notice as to why. In that case, that debater will be considered to have forfeit. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about. Scoring will go to 10 points. Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Devoidless
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).

So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.

Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 185 Replies
KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

Skyla what profile is our debate on?

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

@Skyla. I am quit aware thank you very much. I just could not help myself.

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

I hope Devoidless hurries up!

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

What happened to Devoidless? He has been inactive for a long time now?

Also:

Name:Ricador
Topic:Pentagon On 9/11
Stance: It was not hit by a plane but by a missile. (Notice i did not specify who it was done by just that it was a missile, i don't have a theory on who did it).

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
324 posts
Peasant

Name: Skipper8656568

Topic: Morally correct to kill & slaughter animals on such a scale

Stance: No, I will be proving that we do not have to (as much as we do) and not eating meat would be economically better.

This is the guy I will debate http://armorgames.com/user/alex923

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

Heyyy i just noticed this thingeh, but apparently Devoidless is quite inactive at the moment...oh well ill post a challenge anyways.

Name: th3pr3tz3l
Topic: Legalization of Cannabis Sativa (marijuana)
Stance: Legalization of Cannabis Sativa was not only unjust, but it should be legalized now. (in Canada or U.S)

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Name: Graham

Topic: The Universe
Stance: Finite

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

There appear to be multiple people who wish to weigh in on whether or not the universe is finite or not (or infinitely finite, don't forget that!)

We should probably sort out who would like to take on whom, in that case.

GregWeeler
GregWeeler
259 posts
Nomad

@ th3pr3tz3l

I'll take your debate if your are saying that it should be legal.

My stance is it should be illegal.

However you seemed to have contradicted yourself.

Legalization of Cannabis Sativa was not only unjust, but it should be legalized now. (in Canada or U.S)

You stated that Legalizing it is not only unjust but it should be made legal now. What did you mean?
th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

Im sorry i meant to say ILLEGALIZATION.

Well now that you've accepted im rarin to go!

just curious, does devoidless still make the debate worlds?

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

you don't need her to make debate worlds just make an account named something like debate_druglaws and c+p whats on the other ones

GregWeeler
GregWeeler
259 posts
Nomad

He does, but as I understand, he has been quite busy. Maybe Strop will make one when he gets on later.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

The reason i asked is because you can only use one email per account, and I only have one email address, so I would have to create a whole extra email address?

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

@Greg i thought devoidless was a she...

@th3pr3tz3l i have like 5 email addresses lol

GregWeeler
GregWeeler
259 posts
Nomad

@ Graham

Haha, we don't know what it is. Sometime it is a girl and sometimes a boy. I believe it's a hermaphrodite. Haha, joking Voidy'

Showing 151-165 of 185