ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

185 29486
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I just wanted to start anew, and adjust a couple little details here and there on the rules and such! Nothing major.

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.

Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important also, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.

The debate will go on until one debater reaches 10 points, or until one of the debaters fails to post within 48 hours without notice as to why. In that case, that debater will be considered to have forfeit. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about. Scoring will go to 10 points. Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Devoidless
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).

So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.

Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 185 Replies
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

@Graham
You can't make them your self. They have to be officially set up by devoidless. But since Strop became a mod, i think that he can probably do it. You should ask him.

pc123
pc123
145 posts
Shepherd

delete that post...

Name: pc123
Topic: sin death plege
My stance: For our sin is death, and to God be the glory

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Hey pc, I am a bit confused on what you want to debate about. Maybe you should clarify more about what exactly is the topic of debate.

Cortexal
Cortexal
80 posts
Nomad

Name: Cortexal
Topic: Obesity and how it should be handled.
My stance: I think that we should only do a little bit to fix this but it is up to the obese people if they want to become skinny.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

Name: Lilboi3000
Topic: Challenging Cortexal
my stance: We should be doing more for the obesity of the United States. It still remains that Heart Disease is one of the top five killers of people in the United States every year. (Obesity is one of the leading causes, along with stress, not exercising ect.). When Cortexal says that we should only do a little, i disagree, this is pretty much saying that we should let people who have destroyed their lives go kill themselves. This is against human nature and is hardly a difference against genocide.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Yeah, sorry for the long bouts of nothing going on so far as the debates are concerned. Everything will be settled soon enough.

And making your own pages for debates is..um...pointless.

Avrilicious
Avrilicious
525 posts
Peasant

Devoidless while your gone I will keep an eye on the debates!

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

I will challenge Lilboi3000 on the united states not doing enough to prevent obesity. Or at least that's what I think he's getting at.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

Oops, now I realize what Lilboi was doing.

Name: Ninjacube
Topic: Obesity in the US
Stance: The US government has done enough to prevent obesity and doesn't need to do anymore.

stratplayer929
stratplayer929
99 posts
Nomad

Hmm, interesting.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Who are you challenging Ninja?

magicsealer
magicsealer
8 posts
Nomad

Name: magicsealer
Topic: Are there such things as aliens
My stance: NO SUCH THING AS ALIENS

magicsealer
magicsealer
8 posts
Nomad

do i have to look at this section everyday to see its been challenged?

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

I was challenging Lilboi3000, but I didn't realize that he was challenging someone else. Sorry, I was confused myself.

Lil_derman_
Lil_derman_
3 posts
Nomad

I think God is real who wouldn't?

Showing 166-180 of 185