ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

185 29482
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I just wanted to start anew, and adjust a couple little details here and there on the rules and such! Nothing major.

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.

Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important also, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.

The debate will go on until one debater reaches 10 points, or until one of the debaters fails to post within 48 hours without notice as to why. In that case, that debater will be considered to have forfeit. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about. Scoring will go to 10 points. Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Devoidless
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).

So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.

Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 185 Replies
Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

King, I'm still looking for someone to debate with about the universe. I believe it is infinite. Would you like to take me up on that challenge?

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I thought Estel was against you on that? Or did he quit against you then?

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

Turns out he made a typo. after a few posts, we realized we were on the same side!

On this thread he wrote 'I believe in a finite universe' as his stance, it was a typo, he meant 'infinite.'

Heh heh heh...

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Hm, I wonder. Is your stance Infinite then? I might take on this case. Let me just get out my suitcase and Monkey suit.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Hehe, Drako, since I actually believe in an infinite universe, I will take you on, if you are on the finite side.

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

Okay Skyla I will but just prepare to win ha ha!

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

Stupid Estel, trying to take my debate

Heh, I will glady challenge you, KoS. Just wait till we get a profile.

Sorry Estel :P

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

Yea Skyla I know!

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

:O Wait... sorry Estel, I thought you were challenging KoS :\\

I apologize, you are not stupid after all... just silly XD

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

Ha ha that means stupid Skyla!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I'm a little confused as to who is debating whom but if either of you guys needs a challenger for the finiteness of the universe that would be super.
I, of course, hold the correct stance that the universe is finite :P

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I am debating drakokirby on infinity. My stance is that the universe is INfinite. I believe Drako believes that it is finite.

Skyla and KoS are debating the same thing with Skyla pulling for INfinity and KoS is on the side of finity.

I am little afraid to challenge you Moe, but if my debate with drako goes as planned, I will challenge you o.O

hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

Necromancer and I have a debate;

Debate:Should Creationism be taught in schools?
Stance: I would Affirm, Necromancer would negate.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

@All people who think that the universe is finite. The simple question is, what comes after the universe ends. it can't just be nothing, i mean is it just empty, but then again thats what space/the universe is, empty nothing with planets and galaxies here or there. So is it heaven after that? But of course people who believe that the Earth is finite tend to be Atheist. So if you believe that the Earth is Finite, answer my question please.

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

Ricador, this isn't a place to ask questions or actually debate a topic, it's just a place to plan and organize debates... maybe make a new thread about it?

I believe that Earth is finite, of course it's finite. The universe's finiteness, on the other hand, is a subject of dispute. I believe that the universe is infinite, but I do understand the reason why people think the universe is finite. That reason would be the Hubble Constant, the universe is expanding... if it were infinite, there would be nothing to expand into, so they come to the conclusion that it is finite.

Now, I do have a counter argument for this strike, but I won't expose that just yet . If you're feeling suicidal, though, look it up. I'm sure you'll find it after some research.

Showing 136-150 of 185