ForumsWEPRwhy is america fat

170 72797
fracell
fracell
67 posts
Nomad

is it the lack of exercise stress junk food (go ahead blame the food) or what i think it is technology were so dependant on technology that we stay inside all day with little human contact i am verry fit i go outside everyday run with my dog do 300 pushups a day do benchpresses and curls punch the bag ect. and i joined the navy seals and marine force recon why can no one else do this its the easyest thing in the world tell me about your ideas

• 170 Replies
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

How about pure tiredness?

That's pretty much what I meant by being lazy.

Fast food isn't the ONLY cause of obesity in this country. Notice how canned vegetables and fruits are significantly cheaper than fresh vegetables?

I never said that wasn't true.
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

That's pretty much what I meant by being lazy.

lazy: averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.
averse: having a strong feeling of opposition, antipathy, repugnance, etc.; opposed:
tiredness: 1.weary; fatigued

I don't think laziness and tiredness fall in the same category. Tiredness is just like physically not being able to do something and laziness is having the ability to do something but you just refuse.

I never said that wasn't true.

I never said that you said that that wasn't true.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

lazy: averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.
averse: having a strong feeling of opposition, antipathy, repugnance, etc.; opposed:
tiredness: 1.weary; fatigued

You know what I meant -_- And this is kinda getting off topic. So I'm just gonna get back to the subject. You don't see any people in Brazil fat (exaggeration) and fresh food there is really cheap and processed food is expensive. Relative to America and fresh foods.
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

You know what I meant -_- And this is kinda getting off topic. So I'm just gonna get back to the subject. You don't see any people in Brazil fat (exaggeration) and fresh food there is really cheap and processed food is expensive. Relative to America and fresh foods.

No I don't know what you meant. I doubt you're a hard-working parent with 4 or 5 kids in a tough economy. I'm pretty sure if you saw stats about Brazilian obesity there are fat Brazilians there. I'm pretty sure there are fat people everywhere except Siberia and Antarctica.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

I'm pretty sure if you saw stats about Brazilian obesity there are fat Brazilians there.

I live there. And why do you take everything so literally? It was an exaggeration. What I meant was there are basically none compared to other countries.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'm from Canada and the first time I went to an American restaurant and ordered a full meal with salad... they put cheese in it, WTF?
That was insulting!
I go to a redneck restaurant and they served me a 20 CM burger and enough fries for 3 people! I ate a third of it and brought the rest home and made two more meals out of it! :O
It's not just how much food people eat, it's how fast they are eating.
If you eat fast for 20 minutes, you'll eat more food. If you take twice the time and actually chew what you eat, you'll eat less.

I'm active so I don't get fat but since I've been coming to the AG site, I got a little belly but that's it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

If you eat fast for 20 minutes, you'll eat more food. If you take twice the time and actually chew what you eat, you'll eat less.

Not really, speed doesn't determine your stomach capacity.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Somewhat true. The general concept is because of this:

It takes somewhere from 5-10 minutes for you to stop feeling hungry after a meal. If you power-eat for those 5-10 minutes, you'll have eaten way more food.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't keep eating after you feel full (or at least not hungry), that's where stomach capacity comes in.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

If you do this all the time then yes your stomach will require more food but if you slow down and chew properly you will get to the point where you don't need so much food. The stomach is not the only factor into the equation. Your brain also have something to do with it. It also depend on how you spend the calories. If you do manual labor and work like a dog then you need to eat more than the average people. Did you notice how some athletes when they retire suddenly gain lot of weight? I think it's because of their eating habits. They are used to eat very energetic food because of their training but once they retire, if they don't change their diet, they gain weight fast.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

If you do this all the time then yes your stomach will require more food

Eat more = stretch stomach = can eat even more. Eating speed has nothing to do with it.

but if you slow down and chew properly you will get to the point where you don't need so much food.

How fast you eat has nothing to do with how much you need.

Your brain also have something to do with it.

This is the only part where eating speed matters. It takes time for your brain to register that your stomach is no longer empty. If you eat more during the time it still thinks it is hungry, then you simply ate more during that time.

It also depend on how you spend the calories

That would determine how much you need to eat.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Actually chewing is what makes your brain make you feel full. So if you eat fast you will chew less which will make you feel less full which will make you eat more and make you a little fatter.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Actually chewing is what makes your brain make you feel full.

Uh...source? Because this isn't true. I chew gum all the time and I get hungry whilst doing so.

So if you eat fast you will chew less

No. This isn't even taking into account foods that you don't chew. Mashed potatoes/soups/apple sauce etc. You get full eating those, but you don't chew them.

Assertation debunked.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Uh...source? Because this isn't true. I chew gum all the time and I get hungry whilst doing so.

It's complicated, when you chew gum your brain knows it's only gum and doesn't make you full. But when it's food your brain uses chewing as a meter for food you eat.

No. This isn't even taking into account foods that you don't chew. Mashed potatoes/soups/apple sauce etc. You get full eating those, but you don't chew them.

You actually do chew those but differently. You might not notice but you do.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Sorry for the DP but here's the source you asked for

Somewhere in there is this paragraph: "More chewing was associated with lower blood levels of ghrelin, a hormone that stimulates appetite, as well as higher levels of CCK, a hormone believed to reduce appetite."

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

It's complicated, when you chew gum your brain knows it's only gum and doesn't make you full.

Please, give a source then. I have never heard anything like this and all the things I have been taught about digestion and calories and what not are contradicting to this.

Chewing starts the production of saliva to help digestion. It doesn't control anything else so far as I know.

This sounds like a non answer by the way. "It's complicated" well please explain, I'm quite sure I'll understand.

But when it's food your brain uses chewing as a meter for food you eat.

This sounds even more preposterous. My grandmother chews her food for an insanely long time. She is usually still eating when everyone else has been done for 10 minutes. If what you were saying was true, she would be full long before anyone else.

You actually do chew those but differently. You might not notice but you do.

Uh, no I don't chew those. Soup maybe once or twice, but I just flat out swallow the other things.
Showing 61-75 of 170