ForumsGamesElements of FPS Game

31 4237
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Since the Video Game section is still overrun by spam and I want to get this actually noticed, I'm posting it here for the time being.
My question is what should be in a Serious, Pro, Multiplayer FPS?
This isn't what should NOT be in one, its what should be in one.

• 31 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Okay, let's start this
I'm kind of short on time, so I'll just kind of list things out.
-Variety of guns
-Dynamic and fun maps
-Good music
-Some sort of reward system
-Needs to be somewhat similar to the rest of the game (campaign, spec ops, zombies, etc.)
-Re playability

For the record, I DON'T like MW3. The music stinks, the guns are lame, all the maps are terrible, campaign is too short, and you don't have a lasting impression. MW2's campaign was really exciting (and had probably the best music in the whole COD series) and actually seemed kind of realistic. The mp had great maps (I love all the variety and the excitement of destroying someone) and good guns.
Black Ops had a strange campaign, but a good one. The whole game is centered around mystery and the unknown and left me feeling like I was searching for something. Also, the different game modes felt like an extension of one another. The music wasn't as great as MW2 (The Easter eggs are amazing, though), but I thought it was still a really solid game and that all the emphasis on gun customization was really nice (they have better gun textures too in my opinion). I also find that I do extremely better in Black Ops when compared to Modern Warfare.

Left4Dead(2) is also one of my favorite games. It never loses its replayability and is a really good zombie game. You really connect with the survivors and that makes the game 10x better.

Well, maybe we can get some conversation with this.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

I think that both of your topics got noticed. In an attempt to avoid spam it looks like you are creating it. You should at least try to get the other one closed.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

Guns, fun and good servers. Look at old FPS games. This is what is was all about.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

-Good music

But what's the point of having music if you can't hear it over gun shots anyway?
-Needs to be somewhat similar to the rest of the game

I was just planing on only making a multiplayer mode, maybe I'll do an offline mode as well.

Guns, fun and good servers. Look at old FPS games. This is what is was all about.

That really doen't tell much because that IS what a multiplayer FPS game is anyways.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

-Variety of guns
-Dynamic and fun maps
-Good music
-Some sort of reward system
-Needs to be somewhat similar to the rest of the game (campaign, spec ops, zombies, etc.)
-Re playability

For one he said multiplayer and you listed campaign as one and for Left 4 Dead I think he means more of a deathmatch style.
Also what would be fun and dynamic
Variety of guns-- Why would you need that many guns. A good FPS game can probably stand-alone on 10 or so guns. I hate that COD has so many because most of them are pointless.

Good-Music. If you are in multiplayer you aren't going to want to hear your music if you really are pro. Most people get headphones and try to hear every little thing that people do like footsteps and shooting.

A really good multiplayer FPS game barely even needs a story behind it. You might as well make the whole game multiplayer.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

For one he said multiplayer and you listed campaign as one and for Left 4 Dead I think he means more of a deathmatch style.

Yes, I was wanting to have just pvp, and have the same classes and weapons offered to everyone (so a zombie v. resistance mode wouldn't work)
Why would you need that many guns. A good FPS game can probably stand-alone on 10 or so guns. I hate that COD has so many because most of them are pointless.

I was planning on having just a few guns so that they will all be balenced and not have one gun completly overrule the other.

A really good multiplayer FPS game barely even needs a story behind it. You might as well make the whole game multiplayer.

I was planning on no story at all, just a well balenced fps multiplayer game.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Lots of different guns. Balanced guns.
Different varities of maps.
Color (BO and MW3 were so dreary colored, I didn't like it.)
A good reward system.
A way that you can still play even as a low level.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

a basic fast shooter. whit about 9 different kind of guns. so not 4 mg's all shooting different range, power, pierce... but all different kinds weaponry. maximize the varity of ways to kill and be killed. also do something whit the movement. adding special jumps will speed up the gameplay. and let the players have more different ways to move around the map then only the main lines and roads. ofcours these suggestion are for a unrealistic shooter. if you want to go realistic then the game needs slow gameplay, 3 pistols, 4 mg's 3 granades, 2 rpg and 4 snipers ow and ofcours you have to add the mg whit a freaking radar showing enemy's in it =O. alot of places to hide behind. and add a bounch of perks to make it a little unfair. but people somehow like it that way.

anyway back to the serious part,
the game you release 1st should be very basic but still provide enoufg maps and varity of gameplay to attract a good amount of players. then you can update the game whit more and more stuff as you like. but the point to make the game basic is that you should need to add a editor for your players create their own ideas in the game and then being able to play and try their own ideas whit people online. a editor alone will attract more people that will only be intrested in creating this content. and it will be able to give your game unlimited update's even years after you have stoped whit it yourself. giving new gameplay and fun for years and years.

why this is needed in a pro game you might ask?
well because pro players will always find a exploit in your game that you did not think of yourself. and when youve made a update they will find a other exploit. whit a editor loads of people help you to fight against these exploits. possibly (as ive seen happen myself a few time) a consumer fixing your master server problem befor you could find it out yourself whit your whole team xD (yes fixed whit a editor xD ).

sure exploits can also be made in the editor but that doesn't matter because people will simply not play on the servers that have these exploits running. or it is a fun exploit that people like, so thats good 2.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

ow and ofcours release a demo. so people can already tast ir and you will get your 1st feedback from the actual payers befor you release the game. so you can make those last sec changes count.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

A good reward system.
A way that you can still play even as a low level.

I think those things are contridicting each other.

if you want to go realistic then the game needs slow gameplay, 3 pistols, 4 mg's 3 granades, 2 rpg and 4 snipers ow and ofcours you have to add the mg whit a freaking radar showing enemy's in it =O. alot of places to hide behind. and add a bounch of perks to make it a little unfair. but people somehow like it that way.

Oh common, dont give up on realistic shooters, and I'm thinking of only having your feet to carry you around, and very basic graphics so they arent confusing and could run exceptionally on even the slowest computer.

well because pro players will always find a exploit in your game that you did not think of yourself. and when youve made a update they will find a other exploit. whit a editor loads of people help you to fight against these exploits. possibly (as ive seen happen myself a few time) a consumer fixing your master server problem befor you could find it out yourself whit your whole team xD (yes fixed whit a editor xD ).

I think an editor would be a good idea because it would have people making what they believe to be better than my original design and I really dont think that problem withbugs will happen because I'm actually quite adept at finding bugs and know what to do to fix them.
ow and ofcours release a demo. so people can already tast ir and you will get your 1st feedback from the actual payers befor you release the game. so you can make those last sec changes count.

That sounds like a good idea, have a little beta first and see how it is.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

But what's the point of having music if you can't hear it over gun shots anyway?

Even in a FPS, there's always small amounts of downtime when you can listen to the music (before a respawn, for instance). Not to mention that music just enhances the games feeling in general.

I think those things are contridicting each other.

Not necessarily, depending on how you design the reward and feedback systems.

I really dont think that problem withbugs will happen because I'm actually quite adept at finding bugs and know what to do to fix them.

Oh they will, you can trust me on that. Any large software project will inevitably have bugs, especially something like a video game, which is quite a step up from say, a generic business application in complexity.

That sounds like a good idea, have a little beta first and see how it is.

Actually, I'd advise getting a prototype of the game running ASAP and then testing it as frequently and as often as you can. Preferably from as many different people as possible. Waiting until the beta stage for feedback is risky.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

a game (any game) whitout background music gives a very boring feeling.

Not necessarily, depending on how you design the reward and feedback systems

not realy, if your going to reward players whit abilities and perks or any bs like that. (aka stats)
then the gu who played the game longer has more perks and therefor will kill the new players more easly then they can kill him.

no matter how good the new guy is he will be almost impossible to kill the guy whit the loads of rewards. (aka unfair)

I really dont think that problem withbugs will happen because I'm actually quite adept at finding bugs and know what to do to fix them.

if you can make a game whitout bugs and whitout any exploit. you deserve a price for it. it has never happend befor

Actually, I'd advise getting a prototype of the game running ASAP and then testing it as frequently and as often as you can. Preferably from as many different people as possible. Waiting until the beta stage for feedback is risky.

ofcours he needs test players and test his own game all the time.
but a demo would be needed to see the response of the actual players. what the player like and dislike. also are you able to see how much people will like it so you don't copy to much or to less games for the market.

Oh common, dont give up on realistic shooters,

if it is anything like any realistic shooter in the last 7 year, i give up on it. they are just: lame, easy, slow, unfair games.
if you want me to play it i guess you have to revolutionise the realistic fps scene.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

not realy, if your going to reward players whit abilities and perks or any bs like that. (aka stats)
then the gu who played the game longer has more perks and therefor will kill the new players more easly then they can kill him.

no matter how good the new guy is he will be almost impossible to kill the guy whit the loads of rewards. (aka unfair)

Well yeah, that was my entire point in saying the reward system needs to be designed well. You can do this by:

a) Having rewards that don't affect the gameplay at all
b) Having rewards that do not cross over between matches and aren't permanent bonuses
c) Having bonuses that are available to everyone on the map, i.e powerups
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Well yeah, that was my entire point in saying the reward system needs to be designed well. You can do this by:

now youve explained your view of "designed well" i can't agree more.
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

FPS's need cover systems.

Showing 1-15 of 31