ForumsGamesElements of FPS Game

31 4246
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Since the Video Game section is still overrun by spam and I want to get this actually noticed, I'm posting it here for the time being.
My question is what should be in a Serious, Pro, Multiplayer FPS?
This isn't what should NOT be in one, its what should be in one.

• 31 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

a) Having rewards that don't affect the gameplay at all

What would that include? A rank?
) Having rewards that do not cross over between matches and aren't permanent bonuses

So you get a gun for killing a certain amount of enemies? Yea I don't think that is a good idea because that would start to favor certain classes over others.
c) Having bonuses that are available to everyone on the map, i.e powerups

I think that is a good idea, but alot of people find that unfair so it'l have to be toggleable.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

FPS's need cover systems.

cover is for amateurs!

So you get a gun for killing a certain amount of enemies? Yea I don't think that is a good idea because that would start to favor certain classes over others.

why would you keep guns away for the player?
for it to be a pro game you need to make it even. so every1 has all or atleast the same set of guns during a match.
then it is even. then you are able to see who is better.

I think that is a good idea, but alot of people find that unfair so it'l have to be toggleable.

it will give more action in the game. if you add powerups like shield and speed and invisable then the players will not only fight eatchother but also have to be tactical positioning themself and fight over the best temporary powerups. like shield will be just added hp. speed let the player move 100% faster for 30 sec. and invisable will be for 15 sec. or so.
you can also give the players only some basic guns and place weapon pickups in the maps. so they have even more to fight over and will again ask for more skill then COVER AMATEURS.

but then again you wanted to make a realistic fps, right?
you can scrap all these fun powerups for that since. it's totaly not realistic to have respawning weapons on the map. (or whatever fun anyway)
ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

cover is for amateurs!

HELL YEA!

...I really have nothing else to contribute to the thread. I just agree with that statement too much.

Oh! I want FPS's and games in general to leave this "Two Years in the Future/Modern" setting the industry seems to be stuck in. I'd love to see more Steampunk shooters a la Bioshock or even something from the bowels of a mind streaked with prismatic rays! I don't care, just get us out of the brown corridors!

-Chillz
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

What would that include? A rank?

Anything you can think of. Ranks, achievements, even concept art if you care to show such things off. Just a few small goodies. But of course, such rewards all run the risk of being not very interesting to the player.

No. I'm thinking temporary bonuses that reward the player for acts of skill, so basically COD-ish killstreaks. But really, the actions that you want to reward the player for ultimately depend on the game design itself, so it could be something silly like rocket-jumping over 2 miles or something.

And besides, if one class is better than the other, you need to brush up on your balancing.

Agreed, giving the player additional options is never a bad thing. But again, whether or not powerups are unfair or not depends on how you design them. Instead of powerups, you could also hide unusual weapons in secret locations.

cover is for amateurs!

Real men get shot in the face!
http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-black101.gif
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

why would you keep guns away for the player?
for it to be a pro game you need to make it even. so every1 has all or atleast the same set of guns during a match.
then it is even. then you are able to see who is better.

What I wanted to have was a game which would be able to pick the class that best suits you without being forced into a class because it is better than all others. Having random gun rewards unbalences the gameplay and ranks, it is a very tricky thing to get right.
but then again you wanted to make a realistic fps, right?

I really don't care much about realistic shooter (actually I would gladly not have it realistic since it would mean less work in areas I have almost no idea on) I just want a shooter that is balenced, comfortable, and could have a pro setting.

And besides, if one class is better than the other, you need to brush up on your balancing.

What I was saying is a tank class could easily just ambush and mow down enough enmies for a new gun, while a sniper really has to wait for their shot (yes camping is the smarter choice) and wn't be able to get those better guns, which would leave them at a disadvantage.

Also if this game is going to be team relient most of the time, there are some positions which are not the glorifying and won't get you many kills, but you have to take them for the team to succeed.

cover is for amateurs!

I really only follow that in Serious Sam, otherwise COVER ALL THE WAY!
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

What I wanted to have was a game which would be able to pick the class that best suits you without being forced into a class because it is better than all others. Having random gun rewards unbalences the gameplay and ranks, it is a very tricky thing to get right.

if every class has different guns then in a match in some cases 1 gun is better to use while in a different part and senario the other gun would be better.
unless you give both players (regardless of classes) the same options/guns to kill the other then you will see who is better and has more skill.

i don't see why you would take away guns from a player only because he isn't the class. i dunno how to explain it but it's that it takes away your options during a match.

I really only follow that in Serious Sam, otherwise COVER ALL THE WAY!

id better stop giving you my ideas of a good shooter then.
real old skool skilled players wont play your game for tournaments.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

i don't see why you would take away guns from a player only because he isn't the class. i dunno how to explain it but it's that it takes away your options during a match.

Well then if you dont take away and add guns to classes, then what defines a class?
id better stop giving you my ideas of a good shooter then.
real old skool skilled players wont play your game for tournaments.

Keep giving ideas since they might work and why wouldn't old school fps gamers play? Is cover really that bad of a thing?
You really cant just go base all your skill on reaction time since aimbotters would completly rule the game.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Well then if you dont take away and add guns to classes, then what defines a class?

why classes? can't every1 be even? having the same options to win.

Is cover really that bad of a thing?

yes.

it makes the difference playing the game for real on a pro level and just some times for fun and/or to check it out.

aimbotters would completly rule the game.

if you polpulair enoufg. then it wont be a issue as friends will join friends. if you give players the right to care for their own server then those admins will go against it.
mattb777
mattb777
21 posts
Nomad

Variety is VERY important. So is the game being easy-to-learn, yet hard to master. Also don't include overpowered or underpowered weapons. Try to keep the weapons to a minimum. Also, make the movements of the players swift and allow high jumping. (Halo FTW, CoD FTL [For the loss]!)

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

why classes? can't every1 be even? having the same options to win

That would take a lot of skill to kill someone who had everything the same gun as you, but then again that game would eventually get boring because there's no variety.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

That would take a lot of skill to kill someone who had everything the same gun as you

more skill needed is bigger gap between pro's and nubs. getting the tournaments more intresting because pro's will be fighting pro's and nubs fight nubs. not all mixed up.

ut then again that game would eventually get boring because there's no variety.

no taking cover all the time is alot of variety. xD

anyway are classes the only variety you can think of?
when i think about variaty. it are the options i have to move around the map and ways to kill the enemy. and whit different gametypes.

i don't want to get killed by a perk because the nub himself isn't able to.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

i don't want to get killed by a perk because the nub himself isn't able to.

Are you referring to CoD when talking about perks? If so I think the idea of perks is good because of the variety each player has, but they execute it poorly by usually making one or two godly perks.

However I would prefer something like BF3: You're in a squad and each of you can run a perk that helps your whole squad, and you have classes such as medic, engineer, support, and recon with weapons and equipment designated for each class.

Personally I'd get bored if there weren't perks to make your player unique and classes for weapon variety. That's probably why I don't enjoy playing Halo as much as other FPS's. Although I shouldn't mention Halo because if you could have a classes people would probably only be running around with the launchers, but I couldn't think of another FPS that doesn't have classes.
hawkeye
hawkeye
243 posts
Nomad

Campaign FPS mode should have a lot of jumping and hacking for variety rather than just shoot the hell out of people.

Multiplayer should have a HUGE variety of weapons, armor, upgrades, and other stuff to keep you playing.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

by giving people stuff for playing the game you upgrade those players so a nub playing for 500 hours will be able to kill a pro whit only 50 hours gameplay.

aka, unfair.

when i wanna play ona pro level then i want to kill pro's not a nub whit alot of **** that makes him much better then he actualy is.

skill isn't needed in those games because the gear will do all the work.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I skimmed through this thread so this may not be that accurate:

So you want a game where the guns are preset and there are no perks? Well take a game such as CoD or BF that has classes and perks, wouldn't adding a section of gamemodes with preset guns and no perks make us content?

Showing 16-30 of 31