ForumsWEPRWhich political party do you support, all nationalities welcome

65 17138
BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

State the name, what they stand for and reasons why you support them.

• 65 Replies
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Pointless? Hardly. At least the Republicans spend the money on something important, so if an enemy nation comes knocking on your door, don't blame us.

Spending money on defense would be much cheaper if we stopped trying to establish bases all around the world and finding excuses to get involved in other country's wars.

Although I am a republican, I am not a conservative.

Liberals tend to support big government spending. They often support entitlement programs and many have absolutely no problem with government getting involved in the market.

Conservatives talk about the need for less government spending. They go on about how entitlement programs are hurting America. However, every time a conservative takes office, he flip flops, "well, I know I said entitlement programs are hurting us, but this scenario is different," or, "I know I said we need to rely on the free market, but this situation is different."

Both liberals and republicans will lie a lot. However, liberals tend to support bills that back their ideology, so it's hard to bash a liberal on a policy they propose when you are a liberal.

Conservatives, on the other hand, will always propose liberal policies and stamp them with the republican label stating "This policy is not a liberal one because it is absolutely necessary." With a conservative, you can't tell what kind of policy they're going to support!

A liberal is almost always a democrat. A conservative will wake up a republican one day, then the next day he'll fall asleep as a democrat. This is my biggest issue with conservatives.

I believe in less restrictions on both personal and economic scales. Liberals are open about their restrictions on the market, whereas conservatives restrict the market after praising the free market. Liberals tend to ignore personal liberties, whereas conservatives try to restrict personal liberties. Neither group stands for the things I stand for.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Funny thing how what an American considers conservative is considered a liberal in many parts of the world!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

What would you term as restricting the free market? Keynesian economics doesn't restrict, but resuscitate, if that was what you were referring to.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Of course. I tend not to like parties that make use of religion to win votes, or cloud politics with religion.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I don't really support any political parties. I agree with points on varying ones, but no single party reflects what I think.

I think ideas should stand based on their merit alone and not who is affiliated with them or who has the most mindless sheep in their proverbial corral.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

What would you term as restricting the free market? Keynesian economics doesn't restrict, but resuscitate, if that was what you were referring to.

Resuscitation is a form of interaction that goes against free market principles.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

I think ideas should stand based on their merit alone and not who is affiliated with them or who has the most mindless sheep in their proverbial corral.

The thing about political parties is that they're supposed to represent a particular way of thinking. As I said earlier, there isn't much difference between conservative and liberal when it comes to their actions. Ideally, however, a political party represents the actions a politician plans on taking. This is why I have no idea why republicans plan on voting for people such as Romney, who show no signs of being true to the conservative ideology (in the economic sense at least).
mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

I support the American Democratic system.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

The thing about political parties is that they're supposed to represent a particular way of thinking

But that's the catch. I don't think that there's always one idea that's measurably better than another, or that a particular way of thinking will always work. I believing things are highly situational and that you shouldn't approach issues from a predetermined stance. Any party that always followes a particular line of thought I would disagree with at some point.

Now, if there was a party which did the above...I've never heard of any like that.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Resuscitation is a form of interaction that goes against free market principles.

Free market principles are rigid and will do people more harm than not if left to their own devices. Classic example, public goods, which no one in the private sector will provide.

Also, without intervention, we would likely still be in a recession; a market will eventually rectify itself, but that will take decades. If the banks all collapsed, it would have gotten rid of bad debts, bad management, but in the end, it would take decades again for the banking industry to recover, and for new firms to rise up to the level of those before. And in the meantime, how will consumers cope? Government intervention is not a bad thing all the time.
Nacimin
Nacimin
13 posts
Nomad

To be honest, here in Italy there's nothing to be supported.
I know it can sound bitter, but from what i see and what i live evryday, all's important to our politics is to keep their privileges and rich salary, while asking more and more sacrifices to the people.
So i'm supporting myself and "none of the above" like Richard Pryor said.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Free market principles are rigid and will do people more harm than not if left to their own devices. Classic example, public goods, which no one in the private sector will provide.

Also, without intervention, we would likely still be in a recession; a market will eventually rectify itself, but that will take decades. If the banks all collapsed, it would have gotten rid of bad debts, bad management, but in the end, it would take decades again for the banking industry to recover, and for new firms to rise up to the level of those before. And in the meantime, how will consumers cope? Government intervention is not a bad thing all the time.

If there's no way that a public good could be provided efficiently by the private sector, then it's appropriate for the government to provide it. However, there's much controversy as to what should and should not be considered a public good.

As for the government's involvement with "saving" the economy, we need to understand that it's often the government that creates these bubbles. The example you provided, however, has to do with the Federal Reserve. I do not completely object to the bank bailouts, but allowing the Fed to continue operating will do nothing to fix the problem in the long run.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Street lighting is one. No one what's to provide that from the prviate sector because there's no way one can efficiently collect money for that. Also the question of natural monopolies that have to be state regulated.

I don't see how it's a Fed problem, more than an issue with banking bosses being greedy, corporate naughty dealings and lax regulation.

nitin007
nitin007
85 posts
Peasant

The Nitocrats, they are awesome

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

right wing, republican, conservative, whatever you wana call it. im kinda in the mood to yell... i mean debate of this right now. idk why
and dont say america has only 2 parties. their are hundreds. their is a communist part. their is also something called something like "big spider party" and a "green" party if my memory is correct.

Showing 31-45 of 65