ForumsSupport ForumTemporary Notice: HTML Tags:

138 28733
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Greetings community veterans, community newcomers, trouble makers, trouble reporters, religious zealots, religious skeptics, and NoNameC68. If you have not already noticed, you will have come across user profiles and comments/forum posts with differing characteristics than what you're used to. The availability of this new feature is likely due to the previous two updates to the site undergone by the administration. The tags that are used in order to create these new characteristics are formed by HTML code. With HTML code, you can create large fonts, small fonts, strike-throughs, invisibles, and colors in every way imaginable. With HTML code, you can finally get the unique about page and individuality you've dreamed of!

Well keep dreaming.

So the start of it all was smooth sailing, but like flies to dung, it was only a matter of time before users started to abuse the use of HTML code in some way that violates the Terms and Conditions of ArmorGames. It only takes a few instances before those who have to intervene (the moderation team) become disappointed (like me) and have to be the bad guy and ruin the fun. So here are things you need to remember when faced with HTML ideals:

--Do not post HTML colors that are exact or similar to the font of a moderator or administrator (blue, green, and between). This is in line with the rule about impersonation, regardless of whether or not you were intent upon doing so. You should be familiar with this, because this rule has already been in place. Users will be warned then banned as usual.

--Do not post HTML tags that allow you to post images which contain content in violation of the rules. Treat this the same as you would in forum posts and comments. Reprimands vary on severity of image(s).

--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page. This disables buttons and links on your page such as the submit button on the text box and the Add Friend button. Messages containing BFG 9000 size font will be deleted and multiple messages found will result in warn/ban. Messages containing Apache Chief size font on the user page will be given a warning to take down the image, but if we can't even find the text box to warn you with, then we will warn you with a ban. User who do not take down the text on the about page a while after the first ban will be given another, leading up to a permanent if the user is very stubborn and intent upon keeping the text.

--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

--The HTML code can (probably) bypass the site censors. You know what happens when we find text with complete swearing.

--HTML that compromises the site and user's interaction with the site in general will be given a lengthy ban (and a permanent if continued without warning).

(more to add if necessary)

-----------------------------------------

This may or may not be a temporary feature of the site. The AG staff may take down the use of this kind of HTML code in the future.

• 138 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Is it alright to use colors on your profile? I've seen people with it. I think it's unique to do on your profile. I'm not sure how you do it. On the new AG3 i think there should be more customization to your profile page. Anyone else agree?

There are no restrictions of colors on profiles. You simply cannot post in a shade of blue or green in posts and comments.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Either way, I have Zophia saying it is blue, I have Strop stating it is purple.

It is purple to me. Maybe it depends on where you are from though. I think colors should just be kept to the about. That would save lots of future problems.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

the HTML craze has been going on for a little over 3 weeks.

If you ask me... it's been going on for WAY too long already! And trying to decide who started the whole craze about it is not cool, read carefully: not cool... it merely points the finger at a certain AG user that will be named the 'black sheep' for this heap of cow menure over some colours... =/

If they were to be strict with disciplinairy actions upon miss-use of these colors, all would be much clearer... harsh action tends to scare people from doing stupid things...

Either way, I have Zophia saying it is blue, I have Strop stating it is purple.

I'll help you out Cenere and filed an official request with the United Color Board to officially recognise the color: 'Blurple'... problem solved! =)
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

If you ask me... it's been going on for WAY too long already! And trying to decide who started the whole craze about it is not cool, read carefully: not cool... it merely points the finger at a certain AG user that will be named the 'black sheep' for this heap of cow menure over some colours... =/

I think the HTML is here to stay, and rules have been created about HTML, including extensions of existing rules. As for who started it, I think it's pretty clear who started it if you read this thread. I created the thread I linked to, but that doesn't mean I started the craze. I was simply the first to notice the different color on the starter's profile, whose name I will not mention in this post.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I think the HTML is here to stay, and rules have been created about HTML, including extensions of existing rules.

I sincerely hope it won't... any leeway given for use of HTML on this website will surely be like opening Pandora's box if you ask me! (o.O)
It's bound to attract people who would want to try to stretch those rules and see how much they can get away with... it's like deliberately sticking your hand into a bee-hive and expect not to get stung, stupid!

As for who started it, I think it's pretty clear who started it if you read this thread. I created the thread I linked to, but that doesn't mean I started the craze.

LOL You obviously have the idea I was talking about you, but I actually wasn't trying to pinpoint anyone! In fact... I was actually saying the opposite of that! I don't care who started the craze, therefor I won't follow the link given, but I was only stating that pointing fingers in this case is not cool, that's all!
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I found a theorized rule, but first some background:

Schmiddy1234 has been perma-banned, and he had marquees on his about. MrDayCee pointed out the perma-ban to Skeleton_Pilot in the following comment:

Heard about Schmiddy?! He is perma-banned!! (o.O)

I will miss him, but he surely MUST have done something illegal to deserve it I guess... =/

For your sake... I hope you won't be adding any rolling text or images to you profile as it might be the reason for him getting a bann... =0

The bold part of the quote results in the following theory:

MrDayCee's Theory: Marquees are not allowed.

The above theory is a conclusion I reached from the comment. Also keep in mind that Schmiddy1234 apparently had a glitch after being temp-banned. The glitch caused the temp-ban to refresh itself infinitely and therefore keep Schmiddy1234 banned indefinitely. I think the admins noticed the glitch and could not solve it, so they perma-banned him. I do not think marquees are disallowed, but I do think they should be kept to abouts.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Schmiddy keeps being banned because he keeps circumventing his ban by making new alts. I doubt it's a glitch as much as him having little concept of not getting in trouble.
If he has been permabanned, it is most likely due to this as well, and not something to do with the html, so take it elsewhere.

As for Marquees, I sincerely doubt they are against the rules, as much as goddarn awful decisions and choices. And it's annoying, looks bad and no one has any concept of colour theory and keep making them neon green and punchintheface coloured.
If they do get to be against the rules, I am sure the mods would be the first to go tell us, either here, or in an updated thread.

So, to sum up: Schmiddy was not permabanned due to the html as much as not being able to follow the rules, and marquees are allowed until further official notice.

I'll help you out Cenere and filed an official request with the United Color Board to officially recognise the color: 'Blurple'... problem solved! =)

It would solve a lot, wouldn't it? Either way, there should be no issue to solve in that regard since 'better safe than sorry' tend to be a good motto to live by.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

@ Patrick2011 : If you're so fond of pointing fingers, then yes... I've written that comment to Skeleton_Pilot as I was concerned that another friend of mine would be banned because of doing stupid unneccessary HTML stuff to his profile that have no use whatsoever.

And to make it clear: that comment was intented for Skeleton_Pilot, not for you to go and poster it on a thread... that's just un-cool behaviour, even though everyone can read everything on this website.

Bottom line is... Schmiddy got banned, sadly, but yes. And if you're doing stuff outside the clear path of rules provided, then you will have to face the consequences for that... to keep circumventing a bann seems like one.

And actually, MrDayCee's theory is this: Marquees are allowed to some extend, explained in this here thread, but are utterly useless as they completely ruin this nice and clear website by turning it into a carnival for one's eyes.

My belief on the matter is this: Leave the HTML codes alone and stop destroying this website. Want to play around with HTML, fine... go make a free online website for yourself and release the pressure there, but don't do it here!

If they do get to be against the rules, I am sure the mods would be the first to go tell us, either here, or in an updated thread.

That would be the day I'm looking forward to... *bliss*

It would solve a lot, wouldn't it? Either way, there should be no issue to solve in that regard since 'better safe than sorry' tend to be a good motto to live by.

See, we're on the same page there. Why have a discussion about something, when in fact... that something shouldn't be existing in the first place.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

My belief on the matter is this: Leave the HTML codes alone and stop destroying this website. Want to play around with HTML, fine... go make a free online website for yourself and release the pressure there, but don't do it here!

This.

And I don't think Patrick has much of a social/moral compass, so scolding him about taking comments out of their proper place and context and use them for his annoying theories probably will do nothing.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

@MrDayCee: I have figured something out. I figured out that

<marquee bgcolor="CA0088" height="200" behavior="alternate">
<font size="20">You are against HTML!</font>
</marquee>

I have determined this because you treated an HTML tutorial request as trolling. Here's how I determined that:

shock457 created a thread asking for a link to the HTML tutorial. GhostOfMatrix provided the requested link, then you included the following text in a post:

And GhostOFMatrix... please don't feed the animals! Heheh... =P

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Detected Conflict:

<font size="4">MrDayCee vs HTML</font>

http://writingfrommyheart.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/challenge-accepted.png
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Adorable. Though, MrDayCee is not the only one that is against HTML. The reason why? Your post.
It's not the post itself, but it shows how goddarn annoying HTML can be, especially when at least half the users that have it on their profiles have no idea what they are doing.

They screw with the font, making it annoying or even impossible to read. They use colours that could kill elephants. They use gimmicks that looks like crap/myspace/the internet anno 1995.
It doesn't look good, it does not serve a proper cause, and it should make people glad I don't have the ability to ban their butts anymore, because I would. Because it's crap and offensive to my eyes.

At least MrDayCee is being humourous about it, jokingly suggesting not to help other people utterly abuse the HTML codes, while I actively hate on HTML users/abusers.
It's ugly and useless and, again, NO ONE CAN USE IT RIGHT!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Though, MrDayCee is not the only one that is against HTML.

Ya. I have to admit it is getting a little out of hand.
They screw with the font, making it annoying or even impossible to read. They use colours that could kill elephants.

That is why I stopped with overkill on color. Plus is it that hard to choose a color that will be easy to read. Let's see: white background, just use a dark color! Some people.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I've been provoked and even though it's been said and commented to you directly, Patrick2011, I'll state my personal views on the HTML here as well, so others can read about it too... right...

And Cenere... I'm still a happy person, even though what's going to be written below, don't worry!

1) There's no such thing -like you stated- as 'simply banning a user' for a mod, as it is a process that first takes several points to pass and only then becomes effective and final. Ask one yourself maybe?
See, I'm not a mod - nor have I ever been one, but that's something I've come to understand in my 3 years of activity here on ArmorGames, a website I joined because I really enjoy it's nice friendly community and it's simple layout, but that's soon to be changed with this carnival color storm blazing...

2) Mods have enough to deal with already, besides the HTML abusers, so adding more chores to their plate is not favoured I think. Again, ask one yourself.

3) If you state that HTML should be allowed (some abuse of it is to be seen as 'collateral damage' and should only be forbidden completely when massively abused, it's (IMO) a futile and unneccessary path to follow.
Some (not all) users will surely seek out their limits on what is and what's not to be allowed to do with it and only discover they crossed it when it's too late and end up getting banned in the process...

4) Putting up my name on your about as a clear opposer of HTML coding is for one correct, but also considered flaming according to ArmorGames rules and guidelines, which are still in effect.
And seeing as I'm now clearly responding to your ill communicated statements, you obviously succeeded into provoking me to respond to them.

A big plus for me on how disturbingly irritating HTML coding can become on ArmorGames is the massive pink flaming message you put up in your last post...

I rest my case.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

but that's something I've come to understand in my 3 years of activity here on ArmorGames, a website I joined because I really enjoy it's nice friendly community and it's simple layout, but that's soon to be changed with this carnival color storm blazing...

You've just implied that older users are more likely to be against HTML than newer users.

Putting up my name on your about as a clear opposer of HTML coding is for one correct, but also considered flaming according to ArmorGames rules and guidelines, which are still in effect.

There is no proof that what I did was against the rules, but I took it down because I don't think it's worth a possible ban to let people know who's against HTML.

A big plus for me on how disturbingly irritating HTML coding can become on ArmorGames is the massive pink flaming message you put up in your last post...

Once again, that message is not necessarily flaming, but it is definitely an unpreferred use of HTML.

I rest my case.

OK. At least you're not resorting to account suicide to fight HTML.

<font size="1" face="rockwell">preparing a new defense for HTML...</font>
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Since everyone else is putting there opinions about HTML I might as well throw mine in:

If only colors were used and colors that you could easily read I would be fine with it.

Simple as that. Don't argue with me, just my opinion. You will not change it.

Showing 76-90 of 138